Help! Keys Locked In Jetta!! OH NO'S!

rhino77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Alright Guys, I'm stuck. I was cleaning my intake, put it together again and was about to start the car. I unlocked the door and put the key in the ignition. I then remembered "Oh yeah, my shop light." and I got out, and shut the door. With out even thinking about it, the car doors locked as they do automatically. BUT! The key is IN THE IGNITION! :eek: The only way to get the door unlocked is by pulling the key out of the ignition, which will automatically unlock the door for me. Nice right?

For the people that don't know about the VW Imobilizer. I can't unlock with a clothes hanger on the unlock switch. I can't reach the key with the wire, and if I did, probably wouldn't have enough pry on the thing to get it released. :mad:

I DO have the hood of the car still open. Anything I can do under there? I tried taking the negative post off the battery for about a minute and hoping that maybe it would see the key was in or unlock or something. I'm stumped. I am about to call a guy to get my door unlocked. Before I do, anyone have any suggestions? Tricks? Remember I do have the hood open.

Rhino

Last edited:

rhino77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
compu_85 said:
No extra keys :(

-J
Nay. None. I bought the car two weeks ago and it had one key. I was going to get a vallet key done today too... kinda ironic. I went to VW but they can't cut one with out a key to do it from. I even showed them pics, my vin, proof of insurance and asked if they could look it up or something. NOTHIN! So yeah... :(

akmike

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 TDI naturally Jetta
Rock meet window!! you'll need a new window but actually it will most likely be cheaper to break your window and replace it than get keys via VW or anyone else. It's happened to me before, but we have spares, and I am now paranoid about leaving keys in car, now I roll window down if I have some pressing reason to need car to be running and me standing outside of it. Maybe someone else has a better fix.....

rhino77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
akmike said:
Rock meet window!! you'll need a new window but actually it will most likely be cheaper to break your window and replace it than get keys via VW or anyone else. It's happened to me before, but we have spares, and I am now paranoid about leaving keys in car, now I roll window down if I have some pressing reason to need car to be running and me standing outside of it. Maybe someone else has a better fix.....
Ouch! Yeah, I thought about it. Not at the top of my list right now, but I'm seriously considering it. I have to get a key cut anyways, cause I put one underneath the car with a zip tie in the case this happens on the road (I'm sure it will one day too). Vallet key seemed cheapest to do. Hopefully there is a better idea, but if not... Rock... meet window :D

larsbc

TDI
2001 Jetta
Do slim jims work on the VW locks? If so, you could get one or make one (angle grinder and a long hacksaw blade is all you need to make one). Doesn't require too much practice. I opened a car in our driveway after about 10 minutes of fiddling.

I've seen some tow truck drivers trying to fish keys out by feeding a wire around the door frame, not through the window. They have rubber shims to keep the window frame pulled away from the roof. Dunno if it'll work with the Jetta doors though.

Thieves generally break into Jettas by breaking the door lock. Can u hammer a big slot head screwdriver into the key slot and turn it? Not sure if it'll be cheaper to replace that or the window.

larsbc

rhino77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
larsbc said:
Thieves generally break into Jettas by breaking the door lock. Can u hammer a big slot head screwdriver into the key slot and turn it? Not sure if it'll be cheaper to replace that or the window.
larsbc
I'm thinking that the door lock would be more expensive. I could get a used window from a parts yard if I looked around for maybe 35 bucks... installing would be a bit of a bastard, but it's coming to be my next option. If there is anyone though that has any idea on how to open the locks from under the hood even, that would be awesome... if not, keep them comin guys. Someone had to have this happen to them one time or another.

I may try that hacksaw blade thing. I dont' know if a slim jim will work on a jetta though. hmmm....

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Well, the door should not have locked. Once the door has been unlocked (by the key or whatever) and opened, it should not relock until you either lock it your self or drive over 10mph.

If it does lock, then the computer never sensed the door opening, which means you have a faulty micro switch in the door.

IIRC, slimjims don't work.

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
larsbc said:
Do slim jims work on the VW locks? If so, you could get one or make one (angle grinder and a long hacksaw blade is all you need to make one). Doesn't require too much practice. I opened a car in our driveway after about 10 minutes of fiddling.

I've seen some tow truck drivers trying to fish keys out by feeding a wire around the door frame, not through the window. They have rubber shims to keep the window frame pulled away from the roof. Dunno if it'll work with the Jetta doors though.

larsbc
Slim jims do not work, but correct lock out tools do. Pop-a-lock in our area charges roughly 25-30 bucks to unlock one. That's a whole lot cheaper than a new window.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
On my car I could pull the door back far enough from the frame and use a coat hanger to physicaly grab the door handle on the inside.

rhino77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Slave2school said:
On my car I could pull the door back far enough from the frame and use a coat hanger to physicaly grab the door handle on the inside.
from which angle did you come from? The back of the door or the top? I have a screwdriver and a small jim of wood to do this with... I couldn't get it on there. How was your hanger set up? A hook, or did you have a loop?

EDIT! Shucks... I gotta go get my girlfriend in like 10 minutes. I'm going to go try this really quick and be back to the thread in like an hour or two. I'll let you all know if it worked or not. But basically, it sounds like it all comes down to the old school techniques. Bum deal.

Last edited:

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
The top part near the rear where you can spread it apart further and a hook on the end of a coat hanger. Took a few tries but it wasn't that bad. Put a thin layer of electrical tape on the coat poking/pulling implement to save the paint around the door frame :)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Probably won't help you now but there was some talk of going to an Audi dealer and having a slim plastic key made that worked for the doors only if I remember right. You might get this done for your spare lockout key.

rhino77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Slave2School. I had tried the coat hanger thing for like two hours last night to no avail. Then again for about 2 MORE hours trying a all different shapes of hooks (knowing you got it open made me think I could get it open). Nothing. I HAVE THE ANSWER MY FRIENDS! Picture Frame Wire. I couldn't get the hook to slip under the handle from the inside of the handle and was thinking "I'm putting too much effort into this. I need something that fits in the gap of the handle/plastic." So I consulted my tool box and low and behold, picture frame wire. The wire is perfect because it won't break under tension, but is thin and sturdy and holds it's shape. ONE TIME! Put it in the door, over the handle and BAM!! Door open! I win!

Still though, it's locking with out the key and that makes me wonder. I'm thinking it's a fluke as it was working PERFECTLY before I started to work on it. Maybe it just doesn't like me being under the hood. We'll see.

Thanks again for all the advice.

As for the Audi Key, that would be kick A$$ if I could get my hands on one, but VW and an Audi Dealership said they didn't have any tools (keys) to lend to customers. So I stuck with the hanger with some picture frame wire trick.

LOL! I hate cars for the day... Giving it a rest.

rhino77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Slave2school said:
Sweet I'm glad you got it open at least without causing more work for yourself. :)
HELL! I'm just glad I didn't go the "rock meet window" treatment! Thanks again!:cool:

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
I'm glad my stupidity is another man's gain :D (PS-don't put the car in "D" if you have an auto while the car is in the lift to inspect your bad driveshaft wobble...)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
rhino77 said:
Slave2School. As for the Audi Key, that would be kick A$$ if I could get my hands on one, but VW and an Audi Dealership said they didn't have any tools (keys) to lend to customers. So I stuck with the hanger with some picture frame wire trick.

LOL! I hate cars for the day... Giving it a rest.
I meant now that you have it out, have one of the thin Audi keys made. There will be a next time! :)

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
rhino77 said:
Nay. None. I bought the car two weeks ago and it had one key. I was going to get a vallet key done today too... kinda ironic. I went to VW but they can't cut one with out a key to do it from. I even showed them pics, my vin, proof of insurance and asked if they could look it up or something. NOTHIN! So yeah... :(
Call impex with your Vin Number they can have a key made is about 2 days. the dealer can do it also they just don,t want tp messs with it.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I was thinking you could have tried to reach the trunk release and crawled through the back seat. Glad you got it open.

rhino77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Yeah, I'm glad I got the doors unlocked and I thank all of you. I understand about the Audi key. I'm probably going to go check that out because I want one that will stay on the car in a hidden area (one where not every Tom Dick and Harry can find). ;)

Where do you get lock out tools? Are you talking about a slim Jim?

And I never even thought about the trunk release. Would have have been any easier??

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Trying to push the unlock button from that angle would have been difficult. I imagine it would be easier to hook a piece of wire under the trunk release switch. Sounds like you have a more elegant solution, though.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
I think he actually pulled the door handle open. I've never locked the car and sat in it with the alarm on, but do the electronics still operate the fuel door and hatch? Seems like a bit of a security oversite on VW's part to let a person do that if it does work. Breaking into these cars is too easy, although it saves you from having a broken window over a $3 bag of mints in the center console.

rhino77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
Meganuke, I did try to hit the unlock button. All the electronics are dead 15 minutes after you lock your car as a security feature. I ran upstairs to get a clothes hanger, but couldn't find one in time. So I had to go the route of opening the door that way.

If no one has a spare key (like I didn't), PLEASE go get a vallet key or something to avoid this in the futue. Also, if you buy a car and it has one key only (like in my case) MAKE DAMN SURE you get the dealer to pull some cost down or get you a spare key!

Oh, and Slave2School, I was thinking the same thing you are. While trying to get to the door latch, I was thinking "Hmmm... does the truck release open with the power off? AND!! I didn't try. Here is why. My trunk is broken (I have to crawl through the back seat to open the trunk) and i had my fuel door locked. ;) Interesting to try though. Hopefully it's not an oversight.

Last edited:

rhino77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
OMG! There is an Amica commercial on TV where the car is locking the doors on the owners, kicking the keys out of the ignition and doing bad things to the owners... that's how I felt yesterday. :D

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
I suppose you could have used a big screwdriver on the door lock. Turn hard to the right (breaking it) and the windows lower.

rhino77

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
weedeater said:
I suppose you could have used a big screwdriver on the door lock. Turn hard to the right (breaking it) and the windows lower.
Right, but as I said earlier in a post, none of those were on the top of my list. I was just asking if anyone knew of any other way to get it besides the door handle. Evidently there are alot of destructive ways, but none that are specific to the Jetta automobile. Breaking the lock was stated earlier, and I thought about it. I found that a window would have been cheaper than the lock.