Vibration over 110 km/hr

TOBarber

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf SportWagon, 2012, dark gray
At highway speed, over 100 km/hr there is a vibration through the steering wheel; like a shimmy. How is it possible to determine if this is wheel balance, wheel bearing, alignment or something else? I don't hear anything or feel much other than the steering wheel vibration.

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
Probably just tires. Just take it to Canadian tire and get them rebalanced. Unfortunately, the Mk 4 Chassis is crude and doesn't minimise tire imbalances. (It's a harmonic thing).

CB

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Black
I assume you have no snow/ice in your rims, and if tires are Ok just have the fronts balanced, or if you are energeic, you could put the rears on the front.
Regards
CB&Stoker

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
First I would worry about snow/ice being packed onto your tire, especially the inside. Next, alignment. Do you have to fight with the car to keep it straight? Go on the highway, and drive on a straight section...let go of the wheel for a few seconds, and if the car drifts like crazy to one side, then your alignment is probably out. (your car should slowly drift to the right, but basically should stay straight for a while) Watch out for the potholes, though! /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif If it isn't one of these, I would go and get your wheels balanced. These are all fairly cheap tests/experiments, so I would start with these. If none of these fix your problems, then you might have bigger issues.

If you need a really good place for alignments/wheel balancing, send me a PM. Great place for alignments, and they balance the wheels while they are on the car...more accurate than normal balancing.

TOBarber

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf SportWagon, 2012, dark gray
It runs straight as an arrow.

I think that I will get my wife to drive it on the highway and I will look at both front tires. And try not to collide with her. Next I will rotate tires front to back.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
If there is not a vibration at any other speed it is a tire related issue. Either a slipped belt, of an out of round tire. BTDT too many times. All the balancing in the world will only help for a while. If the tires are still newer yu might be able to see the dot or mark on the tire and that is where the valve stem is supposed to be located. Many installers don't pay ANY attention too this.

mazot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
Here's my car's first experience at the shop: Within the first 20 miles after I purchased my brand new TDI, on my way to home, I noticed vibration of the steering wheel at 60-70 mph speeds. If I slowed down or drove faster there wouldn't be any vibration. There was a Sears tire store on my way so I stopped there and had them check the tire balance. They rebalanced all four wheels and the vibration was completely gone.

I suggest you check the tire balance first before checking other things.

Good Luck.