tuning 2011 jetta after fix..info please

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
2011 jetta 6mt (manual) Been searching for any info on any kind of tune post fix on 2009 and later after the fix.. not much info from my search.. what are the options if any? malone..kerma...rocketchip...whatever..what is/will be available to help in power and mpg's after fix ? flashzilla? ( this is reversible via obd port in my driveway right?:confused:) to maintain the ext. emissions warranty if possible.. is there any hope to tune these cars.....I have read that "someone" said they cannot screw with the federal emissions mandates after fix.. this is confusing as most cars that had a "tune" in earlier years also had federally mandated emissions also..like my 2000 alh did and I had a rocketchip done that made that car scream:D..thanx for any info!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yes, they can be tuned. You might try contacting the tuner of your choice for more info.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You have pretty much been told everything in your other threads. Talking with your tuner of choice is now where you need to be. This stuff is new so they will be the only ones to have this particular info and what they can and can't/won't do. Remember the spotlight is on right now and they are probably just waiting for someone to make an example of. Getting tuned and lying about it to maintain your warranty is a pretty low class thing to do as well.

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
You have pretty much been told everything in your other threads. Talking with your tuner of choice is now where you need to be. This stuff is new so they will be the only ones to have this particular info and what they can and can't/won't do. Remember the spotlight is on right now and they are probably just waiting for someone to make an example of. Getting tuned and lying about it to maintain your warranty is a pretty low class thing to do as well.
So if I got a flashzilla or q-pro...which can be reverted back to stock easily ...I would be low class??(why would the tuners offer that? I guess they are low class also) how many people on here have a tune and remove it before a service.. not to mention I bought the car for it's great torque and mpg's... if that is reduced to an unacceptable level due to a fix.. i should have no interest to regain some of it back? what IS the difference in these diesel gate cars and previous ones that got a tune that have an emissions requirement..HUH??? Wow..

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nothing low class about flashing it back to stock. What would be low class is if somebody at dealership asked if it had been tuned and you were to lie to them (as lightflyer suggested).

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You don't get to have your cake and eat it too. If you value the warranty, leave it alone. If you want the tune then own it and the responsibility of any future repairs. VW is in this bind right now for the same thing. But if you are that kind of person go ahead and do whatever you want to. I have nothing against the tune or leaving it stock. Just don't swap the tune and lie about it afterwards.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Many dealerships will attempt to deny any and all warranty claims on a tuned vehicle in violation of the Magnusson-Moss warranty act. For instance, a bad wheel bearing or a.c. compressor, or brakes, steering etc. has no relation to a performance tune. A failed turbocharger or hpfp on the other hand could be directly attributed to the tune. The low class behavior exists on both sides. It never hurts to find a dealership that is ok with tunes and won't try to sleaze their way out of tune unrelated warranty claims.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
In the current time we are in and with what just happened to VW, I would think any VW dealer would think more than twice on having anything to do with tunes and/or tampering with any emissions items. There were some in the past but haven't heard of any for some while now. The appearance alone might get them in big trouble. The current class action Judge may take a dim view of tuning after the fix should he get wind of it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are plenty of tune friendly dealerships out there. You just have to ask around. I found one nearby. I doubt the class action judge gives two hoots. VW has been punished- case closed.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
I had a Malone 1.5 tune on my 2014 JSW, 6 sp manual prior to the emission problem. I took it to a speed shop and had it put on their dyno and it came out 162.23 hp and 293.14 tq. Now since my engine was rated by VW at 140 hp and 236 tq (at the crank, so you lose about 10% going through the drive train) I gained a significant amount of power and tq. Since I occasionally tow a motorcycle or an ATV on a trailer up over the Sierra Nevada mountains having the extra power and torque really made a big difference. I also gained about 2 MPG with the tune. I lost my tune about a year ago when VW had a recall for an engine modification, and have just been waiting for the emission fix to be done so that I can put my tune back on.
I contacted Malone and bought a Flashzilla, which will allow me to download the "stock" setting onto the Flashzilla and upload a Malone tune. I just finished downloading the stock tune and sending it to Malone today and will probably get my Malone tune back in a day or so.
I have talked with the service writer at the local VW dealer and explained what I would be doing. He said that even if I remove the tune and go back to stock before bringing the car in for any work that they can read how many times the ECU has been modified, so if there is a problem that they can identify as caused by a tune the warranty will not be honored, however, if I have a problem not related to the tune he said there will be no problem honoring the warranty.
My thinking is that since VW has given me almost $7,000 to keep my JSW I wouldn't have a problem paying for something that I might have caused, while having a great running little sportswagon.
And for what it's worth, Malone is one of the finest companies I have ever delt with. They are customer oriented, straight forward, and will bend over backwards to help you.
Just my two cents worth.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
My 2002 Jetta was tuned in 2005 and I had absolutely no problems for 11 years which were engine or turbo related until a changed to my current car.