Just bought 05 Passat wagon - bad MPG - sell it and buy 09 Sprtwagon? Pls help Newbe

GrampaPete

Veteran Member
SE Wisconsin, between Madison and Milwaukee
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon - SOLD
I am the former owner of a 2000 Golf TDI that was totalled in 2006. I loved that car, got 50+ mpg each tank, and vowed that I would get another TDI if I could ever find one locally that I could afford. Well, a neighbor sold me his 05 Passat wagon in August for $18.5K with 60K miles on it.

I like the luxury of the Passat but not the Tiptronic nor the MPG. I am a MPG nut - do all the right driving techniques - but cannot get over 40 MPG on a tank with the Passat.

Being an MPG nut, I want MORE MPG. So I am thinking of an 09 Sportwagon. I would expect to get the same kind of MPG (50+) that my Golf delivered. But then I hear of Honda with a diesel and maybe an Audi.

Should I jump at the Sportwagon (I can get one at MSRP, no extra markup) or wait to see what hits the market in the next couple years. I should mention that I have a buyer for my current Passat at $18K.

I need some help from more knowledgeable folks who are seeing the future.

Thanks so much,

Grampa Pete

PS - my driving is 20K miles/year, 90% highway.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Here you go Grampa. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=214055

Engines have yet to break in but average is in the 35 to 40's obviously better for the 6speeds. If you got 50 mpg in your golf at 65 mph, let's hope you do the same in the 09, but you may not get your 50 even when broken in. Drive 55 and maybe you'll get it =)

Rick Auffenberg

TDI
05 Passat TDI GLX Reflex Silver
You need to go to the B5 forum, lots more info on the passat also 40 MPG is about as good as it gets in the passat but for that size car 40MPG is great!!!!!

dariod

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
How in the world would 2009 TDI give you 50MPG. You should have kept that ALH engine because the newer they get the worse they are. Remember no more 50MPG from now on unless you buy your old golf back.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
dariod said:
How in the world would 2009 TDI give you 50MPG. You should have kept that ALH engine because the newer they get the worse they are. Remember no more 50MPG from now on unless you buy your old golf back.
I suspect, like the MK V PDs, he could get 50 MPG at 60 MPH with a 2009.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
dariod said:
I can't address 'how in the world' a 2009 TDI could give you 50 MPG...all I know is, it certainly can. Please see my recent thread. In that thread I'm reporting true highway mileage on long road trip, and seeing 50. The OP says he does 90% highway driving, so he can prolly get the same, and maybe better, since he says he drives for economy (and his screen name is Grampa). In more mixed city/hwy driving with occasional time-outs to just have fun driving, I'm seeing a solid 43 MPG average, slowly edging upwards as the engine breaks in.

I think people who don't have '09s shouldn't be too quick to express strong opinions about their supposedly inferior capabilities like they're a Law of Physics or something.

Last edited:

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
One good thing is you could probably make a little bit of money if you bought the '05 Passat Wagon for $18,500, depending on options of course. But that's a steal of a deal. I'll even trade you for an '05 Passat sedan.....even bring the car to ya!

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
Average 37-38 MPG in traffic; 42-43 MPG rolling on the highway. That's as good as it gets (unless you want to drive at 45 MPH!).

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Yup normal trip driving (we're talking 10 hours in the saddle) I've regularly gotten 42mpg. Most normal free way driving? 38-40mpg

Not bad for a car as big as the Passat.