Road Hazard: Bicyclists' Disregard of Traffic Laws

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I know there is a lot of anomosity between cyclistes and motorists. I was not trying to bring this to light, or solicit such comments in my original post. I equally post about drivers who are seeking the Darwin award, as well.

Power Hound made a very important point: "Like, how to be civil to other people even if they don't deserve it". This is important. I know I could not live with myself if I hurt or killed someone, due to their mistake or negligence, if I could have done something different to prevent the accident, such as yield if a cyclist runs a red light, or swerve around the cyclist. And being able to do something different to prevent an accident, and choosing not to, just to "teach them a lesson" is just imoral and deplorable.

This is what the Virginia Code states about crosswalks (most states use similar language):

§ 46.2-924. Drivers to stop for pedestrians; installation of certain signs; penalty.

A. The driver of any vehicle on a highway shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian crossing such highway:

1. At any clearly marked crosswalk, whether at mid-block or at the end of any block;

2. At any regular pedestrian crossing included in the prolongation of the lateral boundary lines of the adjacent sidewalk at the end of a block;

3. At any intersection when the driver is approaching on a highway or street where the legal maximum speed does not exceed 35 miles per hour.

B. Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection A of this section, at intersections or crosswalks where the movement of traffic is being regulated by law-enforcement officers or traffic control devices, the driver shall yield according to the direction of the law-enforcement officer or device.
No pedestrian shall enter or cross an intersection in disregard of approaching traffic.
The drivers of vehicles entering, crossing, or turning at intersections shall change their course, slow down, or stop if necessary to permit pedestrians to cross such intersections safely and expeditiously.
Pedestrians crossing highways at intersections shall at all times have the right-of-way over vehicles making turns into the highways being crossed by the pedestrians.

Both the motorist and the pedestrian have a responsibility (I assume the "Dismount before crossing" sign is to enable the cyclists to pecome "pedestrians"). The pedestrian can not blatently step out in front of traffic when a car is too close for a driver, traveling at the posted speed limit, to stop. In this case, the pedestrian is at fault (if this can be proved).

But the motorist must yield if the pedestrian is in the crosswalk, and had entered at a safe time to do so. Lets say the pedestrian enters the crosswalk about 10 seconds before a motorists arrives, but trips and has trouble getting up. Upon seeing the pedestrian, the motorist must yield, If not, the motorist is at fault.

In my case, I had no time to yield, even if I wanted to. In addition, the cyclist blatently ignored a "STOP" and "Dismount Before Crossing" signs and failed on this account "No pedestrian shall enter or cross an intersection in disregard of approaching traffic".

I just would like to avoid this situation, because I would hate to have someone get hurt and who knows, the way the legal system is, where I could be wrongly found at fault. That is a horrible crosswalk location.

--Nate

Last edited:

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Nate, I agree that those GW Pkwy crosswalks are a problem. There is one down toward Mt. Vernon which is set up the same and crosses a pkwy feeder road. I dread that crosswalk. A couple years ago there were two cyclists stopped at their stop sign. As I drove through one gave me a very emphatic middle finger while the other one gesticulated wildly at the crosswalk, apparently making sure I had seen it. Played that event over in my head many times and damned if I could figure out what I had done wrong. Guess they wanted me to stop in the road and let them cross.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Honeydew, I don't think you did anything wrong, if the Mount Vernon circle crosswalk is viewed by the authorities as is the one I traverse on the other side of I-395, and I suppose it is. The cyclist may not have realized this and thought you were supposed to stop. But in reality, they need to wait until it is safe to cross. You stopping could be viewed as an improper (and hazardous) stop in the road:

http://greatergreaterwashington.org...ssle-driver-who-stops-at-gw-parkway-crossing/

I posted the above link to indicate the Park Police's (they have jurisdiction on the GW Parkway) view about motorists' stopping to let those waiting to cross the Parkway. Note too, that the article was written by someone who does not share the same view!

--Nate

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Mt. Vernon circle is a bit different since there are roadway stop signs at the cross walk. The one I'm talking about is ~3 miles toward Alexandria from Mt. Vernon in the Ft. Hunt area. No vehicle stop signs at that crosswalk. I agree with your analysis, the cyclists probably just weren't familiar with the rules.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Everybody here should read what eb2143 wrote, it is absolutely spot on. I drive cars, I ride bicycles, some bicyclists are idiots/clueless, same for some drivers. Just consider this...in a car vs. bicyclist incident, the bicyclist always loses, so be a little patient and courteous, even if it isn't deserved, the world will be a better place for it.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
PDJetta: It almost sounds like they need to do a better job of completely segregating pedestrian and cycle traffic from that road, possibly using overpasses or underpasses for crossing the road (like the bike trail here uses to cross a freeway).

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
When I was a teenager a cyclist rode out in front of me... his face bounced off the windshield of my '75 Bus (broke them both). Cop gave the guy a ticket and slipped it in his shirt pocket as they lifted him into the ambulance. Priceless.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Too bad you didn't. Like, how to be civil to other people even if they don't deserve it. People like you make me wish I could fill your house full of soot. You deserve that, even if I am quite sure it is not possible for you to learn anything from it.

"What I deserve" is really not relevant to this thread. I am sure that at some point I will, and so will you, get what we deserve. In the interim, what is relevant too this thread is that a large group of cyclist decided that they owned the roadway. Indeed, they acted with blatant disrespect to any concept of sharing the roadway. Quite an arrogant attitude in my opinion. How does one get this attitude? The fact that some apparently identify with their demonstrated attitude is likewise not relevant to this thread. It is not and should not be about doing whatever the heck you want with impunity.

Anyhow, rather then pass them hap-hazardly and illegally (ie responding to their rude and illegal conduct in some like manner way), I instead waited patiently until such time as I could observe oncoming traffic (ie I had to crest the hill). I then lawfully passed them. One of us on that roadway had to be the grown-up.

The fact that they were excessively coaled by me in the process of lawfully passing them is one of those corrective learning opportunities in life (for them) to aide them with their future encouters with potentially not so courteous vehicles on the roadway in the future. These life lessons may aide them in their future endeavors. Just an opinion .........

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
"What I deserve" is really not relevant to this thread. I am sure that at some point I will, and so will you, get what we deserve. In the interim, what is relevant too this thread is that a large group of cyclist decided that they owned the roadway. Indeed, they acted with blatant disrespect to any concept of sharing the roadway. Quite an arrogant attitude in my opinion. How does one get this attitude? The fact that some apparently identify with their demonstrated attitude is likewise not relevant to this thread. It is not and should not be about doing whatever the heck you want with impunity.

Anyhow, rather then pass them hap-hazardly and illegally (ie responding to their rude and illegal conduct in some like manner way), I instead waited patiently until such time as I could observe oncoming traffic (ie I had to crest the hill). I then lawfully passed them. One of us on that roadway had to be the grown-up.

The fact that they were excessively coaled by me in the process of lawfully passing them is one of those corrective learning opportunities in life (for them) to aide them with their future encouters with potentially not so courteous vehicles on the roadway in the future. These life lessons may aide them in their future endeavors. Just an opinion .........
I cannot think of a better way to handle it. The car was gonna smoke when you tried to regain normal speed anyway.

Bill

bhtooefr

TDI
None
And that's a pretty fair law - it basically means that taking the lane is legal any time that it makes sense to, and the only times it's not legal is when it doesn't make sense to do so.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When I was a teenager a cyclist rode out in front of me... his face bounced off the windshield of my '75 Bus (broke them both). Cop gave the guy a ticket and slipped it in his shirt pocket as they lifted him into the ambulance. Priceless.
Wow! How do you miss seeing something as big as a VW Bus?:confused: And its not the driver's fault. After Friday, I can understand, though.

--Nate

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
And that's a pretty fair law - it basically means that taking the lane is legal any time that it makes sense to, and the only times it's not legal is when it doesn't make sense to do so.
LOL, that's not exactly what it says.:D Sometimes you cannot simplify what something says.

You must always ride as close as practicable to the right side of the roadway except the statute does not require you to ride at the edge of the roadway under unreasonable conditions. The exception does not negate "ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable." Because you cannot ride on the edge of the roadway doesn't mean it's legal to ride anywhere in the traffic lane. Also, unless there's a bike path, the cyclist is generally always riding in the traffic lane. It has nothing to do with "taking the lane" which I assume you mean moving far enough left so that a car behind could not pass without exiting the lane.

I'll bet you won't get away with riding three feet from the center line continuously and try to argue it was unreasonable to move any further right.:D

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
As a motorist I'm ashamed of how many cyclists are ignorant of the law.
As a cyclist I'm ashamed of how many motorists are ignorant of the law.

VWDoggy

TDI
2012 golf
And are asshats about it. (both)
Bill
As a rider and driver, there are stupid people on both sides of the fence. If everyone would be more courteous and patient it would make things easier and safer. :)

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I'll bet you won't get away with riding three feet from the center line continuously and try to argue it was unreasonable to move any further right.:D
It all depends on the interpretation of practicable, as well as the various clauses allowing not riding on the right when it's unsafe to do so, really, and how much you're willing to fight it. There are plenty of well accepted guides in the cycling community that say to take the lane, though, and a good enough lawyer could likely win it.

Then again, taking the lane can be just taking the middle third of the lane, which is usually enough to force a car to be mostly in the oncoming lane to pass.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Beach drive in Md and Dc is an absolutely dangerous place on the weekends.....they absolutely will not use the bike paths.....and they ride in packs at 10 mph below the speed limit and they believed they are entitled......

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
It all depends on the interpretation of practicable, as well as the various clauses allowing not riding on the right when it's unsafe to do so, really, and how much you're willing to fight it. There are plenty of well accepted guides in the cycling community that say to take the lane, though, and a good enough lawyer could likely win it.

Then again, taking the lane can be just taking the middle third of the lane, which is usually enough to force a car to be mostly in the oncoming lane to pass.
I agree. What's "practicable" to Armstrong is not practicable to me. That's why I stick to bike paths. :D

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Beach drive in Md and Dc is an absolutely dangerous place on the weekends.....they absolutely will not use the bike paths.....and they ride in packs at 10 mph below the speed limit and they believed they are entitled......

I am sorry, but I am left with an image of a bunch of 'gang members' with T-shirts proclaiming them to be the 'BELTWAY ORGAN DONORS'.

Bill

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Those cyclists who are beyond what you might call "recreational" (i.e. serious hobby, belong to a team/club) generally are better off off the paths, for the safety of those on the paths. 25-30 mph cyclists in groups (that have rotations/sequences to be kept generally) and busy bike/walking/running paths don't mix well in my experience.

Yes, a lot act like they are entitled to a bigger share of the road than is reasonable; but they are entitled to some of it, at least 1/3 of the average lane is reasonable w/o a significant shoulder IMO, in order to provide a buffer to avoid things by swerving AWAY from traffic rather than INTO it.

Last edited:

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
As a cyclist, car driver, and motorcyclist, EB is right on the money. Club riders in Lycra tend to be rather selfish both on cycle paths AND roads. On roads they fail to consider that others may desire to overtake, but on paths they're too fast, swarming pedestrians and recreational cyclists.
Not to be too broad, but a bunch of racing cyclists can be the WORST PR the cycling community can have.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I agree. What's "practicable" to Armstrong is not practicable to me. That's why I stick to bike paths. :D
The problem is when you're trying to commute via cycle, and there isn't a bike path where you're commuting. If I'm going to drive my bike to the path, stick exclusively to the path, and then ride back to the car, I'll just join a gym. I do tend to prefer the paths, though, when they're available and make sense.

When I'm on the road, I take enough of the lane that to pass requires either convincing me to get over when it's safe (which I will do, especially if there are a few cars behind me) or getting into the oncoming lane. I find that I get into far fewer close calls, which I would consider necessary to avoid a moving hazard. (In fact, Ohio law says that I can take the lane when it's unsafe for me to share the lane with a car. Very few roads around here are wide enough to do so, and the ones that are wide enough often have cars parked alongside the road meaning that I need to ride further left to avoid their doors.) And, when people DO decide to buzz me, I have a few feet to dive to the right.

And, as for packs of Lance wannabes (the actual Cat 1 and 2 racers aren't the problem, it's the Cat 4 and 5 wannabe racers - who, by the way, piss off everyone - car drivers, Cat 1-3 racers, cycle commuters, recreational riders), they kinda deserve to be Darwin'd.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I think most cyclists forget,what a car can do to you. This thought process come from wearing a helmet.:rolleyes:

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I think most cyclists forget,what a car can do to you. This thought process come from wearing a helmet.:rolleyes:
The same could be said, going the other way around.

Actually, I think it's harder to miss the impact of what a car can do to you. Whenever I get passed on a bike, I can definately feel that rush of air pushing me around. Worse when it's a big truck. It serves as a constant reminder of the disparity in size, speed and momentum.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I've ridden bikes and driven cars all my life (60+) and have had a LOT of close calls. I have less fear of the 'pissed-off/impatient/aggressive' drivers than I do of the 'distracted/cell-phoning/texting' drivers. The first bunch at least SEE you, the second bunch rarely do ('but I didn't see him until he bounced off my windshield!")