Mobil 1 ESP

MittensTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG, 2005.5 Jetta TDI DSG
hey guys and gals!

I had a question - I know at some point I asked about 0W oils but

I came across accidently that the Mobil 1 ESP both 5W-30 and 0W-30 have listings for the Volkswagen 504 00/507 00 spec on it

would I be able to pour in the 0W-30 in a TDI and have it run or would it just burn up b since its thin

thanks!

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
That's great to hear that Mobil 0W-30 is also VW 504/507 approved. It is a great oil to go head-to-head with the Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-30 Improved ESP!

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought so! I mean I like Amsoil but I trust Mobil Oils more, especially in my VWs ;):cool:
That's great too.

Interesting enough, somebody did some digging and found out the supplier of the base oils Amsoil uses: Mobil :)))

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>
would I be able to pour in the 0W-30 in a TDI and have it run or would it just burn up b since its thin
<snip>
This makes no sense. It's a 30 weight oil, as indicated by the number after the hyphen. It is in no sense a "thin" oil. Expressed in a sentence, it would be "A 0W-30 oil is a 30 weight oil that flows like a 0 weight oil."
The web site BITOG (Bob Is The Oil Guy) has some good tutorials on lubricants, in addition to their forums. I specifically recommend "Motor Oil University."

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

MittensTDI

TDI
This makes no sense. It's a 30 weight oil, as indicated by the number after the hyphen. It is in no sense a "thin" oil. Expressed in a sentence, it would be "A 0W-30 oil is a 30 weight oil that flows like a 0 weight oil."
The web site BITOG (Bob Is The Oil Guy) has some good tutorials on lubricants, in addition to their forums. I specifically recommend "Motor Oil University."
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

and I get that part.. what I'm saying is - would it be too thin in a diesel engine

Last edited:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
and I get that part.. what I'm saying is - would it be too thin in a diesel engine
It has a High temperature high shear (HTHS) viscosity of 3.5 which is what you want at a minimum in these types of engines. For Pumpe Dude engines there is a school of thought that you need a higher HTHS, something at a minimum around 3.8.

The fact that this Mobil 1 507 oil had a viscosity index (VI) of 180 is a plus definitively. If you want to get deeper into the pluses and minuses you can try to find out also the NOACK volatility percentage (lower better). I do not think Mobil publishes this value (Amsoil does) but you can go to www.pqiamerica.com or www.oil-club.ru (use Google Translate) to see if you can find it.

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Mobil 1 ESP seems to be pretty good stuff. My ML350 uses that... 9 quarts of it per oil change.... pricey oil changes, to say the least.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Mobil often has their rebate program in effect. $12/5 qts up to $24/10 qts. Local fleet store sells it for $6.49 so the rebate brings it down to about $4/qt.
They sell the awesome DelVac 1 ESP 5w-40 (which I much prefer over a 0w) for $25/gallon which gets a $12/gal rebate making it a great buy. It goes in the TDI and the Honda ST1300 motorcycle and has had great UOA from Blackstone labs.
The current rebate form says for purchases 3/1 thru 12/31/18!!

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
I use the 0-30 in the winter and the 5-30 in the summer. Thou I'm not sure its worth the flip-flop.

MittensTDI

TDI
Mobil often has their rebate program in effect. $12/5 qts up to $24/10 qts. Local fleet store sells it for $6.49 so the rebate brings it down to about $4/qt.
They sell the awesome DelVac 1 ESP 5w-40 (which I much prefer over a 0w) for $25/gallon which gets a $12/gal rebate making it a great buy. It goes in the TDI and the Honda ST1300 motorcycle and has had great UOA from Blackstone labs.
The current rebate form says for purchases 3/1 thru 12/31/18!!

that's not a bad deal.

what TDI do you that you have?

MittensTDI

TDI
I use the 0-30 in the winter and the 5-30 in the summer. Thou I'm not sure its worth the flip-flop.

I see what your saying.. I was manly asking because I live in Michigan and some winters are so cold that one could sneeze and it might turn to sleet before it leave the nose.. I saw that it the 0W was rated for the diesel, and the easier the start up, the better, you know?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
that's not a bad deal.
what TDI do you that you have?

A "2001"(?) and a 2003, in various stages of "originality".

I currently still have/drive the original "jettawreck" (2001 chassis rebuilt from salvage) with a replaced engine of unknown miles/history other than the 150K miles I've put on it since installation, and a 2003 that I bought as a project (prior owner drove it to 165K miles on original TB) and after the head replacement, drove for years until it was rear ended. It then became the donor carcass to swap the TDI engine into its current chassis-that of a 2003 1.8T. It was an interesting swap project that was easier than I figured but took a lot longer than I figured.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
It has a High temperature high shear (HTHS) viscosity of 3.5 which is what you want at a minimum in these types of engines. For Pumpe Dude engines there is a school of thought that you need a higher HTHS, something at a minimum around 3.8.
The fact that this Mobil 1 507 oil had a viscosity index (VI) of 180 is a plus definitively. If you want to get deeper into the pluses and minuses you can try to find out also the NOACK volatility percentage (lower better). I do not think Mobil publishes this value (Amsoil does) but you can go to www.pqiamerica.com or www.oil-club.ru (use Google Translate) to see if you can find it.

As of about 2 years ago. Bitog mentions 5.6% Noack.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3783232/Mobil_1_ESP_5W30_Noack_value?

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I think you get more for your money if you buy the 5w-30. It meets BMW longlife and VW 506 approvals. The mix of base oil is improved to meet the lower ash, longer oil life and still meet wear levels (HTHS is better)

The 0w-30 needs more phosphorus to make up for the poorer base oil mix( thinner base oil) and additional viscosity polymers, ( lower HTHS, density, higher ash)

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I see what your saying.. I was manly asking because I live in Michigan and some winters are so cold that one could sneeze and it might turn to sleet before it leave the nose.. I saw that it the 0W was rated for the diesel, and the easier the start up, the better, you know?
You will note that the 5w-30 has a pour point of -45C. As long as the temperature is 15 degrees C above the pour point you should not have starting issues or oil flow issues.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes an excellent NOACK for the 5W-30 favor. Once you research the NOACK for the 0W-30 viscosity you will find out that NOACK takes a plunge for the worse, something closer to 10%!

So you have to decide what is more important to you the low NOACK value or the high Viscosity Index of 180. Like with tires, engines oils are about compromises to a certain degree in their characteristics.

VancleVector

TDI
2.0L VW Diesel Car
I took delivery this morning of a case of six 1 qrt bottles of this PLATINUM EURO LX 0W30.

(Of course it is expensive as I paid $10.68 cdn per bottle + taxes).
My concern is that nowhere on the labeling does it say it is 507.00 approved only that it exceeds the requirements of 504.00/507.00

I am also wandering the circuit of cooling...will it really be better?

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
I took delivery this morning of a case of six 1 qrt bottles of this PLATINUM EURO LX 0W30.

(Of course it is expensive as I paid $10.68 cdn per bottle + taxes).
My concern is that nowhere on the labeling does it say it is 507.00 approved only that it exceeds the requirements of 504.00/507.00

I am also wandering the circuit of cooling...will it really be better?
I believe this can be bought at Can Tire cheaper when it goes on sale plus rebates

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
In the Volvo at spring oil change time I found a collapsed Fram ultra synthetic oil filter cartridge. As I remember it there was only one day during the winter when it was parked outside for sometime at a very cold temperature. I used 0-30 Mobil 1 oil and an OEM Mann filter for the latest change.

For the VW I have always used the Castrol 5-30 from the dealer but it sure seems expensive. Maybe by next oil change time I'll find another brand spec 507 oil that is more to my liking.