PF03+ in 2015 Passat?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
So I have a PF03+ which worked flawlessly in my 2014 Passat TDI.

Fortunately, I remembered to pull it before I traded it in on my 2015.

I updated it from 5.4 to 5.5 before installing it into the 2015, and it doesn’t quite work right. Boost shows in the negative and EGT’s just don’t read.

Now... I understand that the PF03 will not work in the MQB chassis cars. The Passat is not an MQB chassis, but the CVCA engine is used in the MQB cars.

Is this just something that needs to be updated or do I need to upgrade to the PF05?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I think you are SOL with the moduel you have, the NMS is a mix of Mk5 and Mk7 modules.

My only hope is the MQB module would work, but seeing its such a limited run config I can't imagine the company investing the time to fix it.

I also heard after the FIX the PID data is messed up but I haven't confirmed that.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Also forgot to mention that my Bluetooth screen no longer appears in my MFD and my car-net light no longer works.

I'm sure its all related.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah one of the down sides of polar, they are over seas and deal with 10 time the platforms we have availbile here so we are a niche of a niche, can’t make a product to suit them all.

I wonder how P3 gauge would work on the ‘15NMS.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
It seems AutPolar is interested in helping their customers.

They sent me a firmware to try and they are pretty quick about answering questions on the support ticket.

So we will see how this plays out. Hopefully we can get it working.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
A little more good news...

In the last 4 days, they have provided me with 3 different firmware levels.

The first was a patched version of 5.5 because they said my screen grab of the updater information looked really weird. But this one would not allow my MFD to access the module at all.

The second one allowed me to access the module, but locked it when I tried setting different parameters. It got stuck on "Identifying Available Parameters". They said something about a bad compilation.

The third one (so far) got everything working. I am able to access the module. I can change the different parameters. However, EGT readings are no longer available.

So I emailed them one more time thanking them for their help and asking if there is anything they can do to get EGT's back.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
This morning they replied with the following:

AutoPolar said:
Basically exists 3 main reasons for this :

- Some parameters are only available for diesel engines and others for gasoline engines. So, have in mind that is possible you not will see all parameters available in your vehicle (all depends on your engine type).

- Your ECU not support all parameters. Some ECUs not give the values of some parameters and this is the reason why we not show on your cluster (FIS display)

- For last, another possibility is that you not have some “sensors” and obviously PolarFIS not will read it (for example oil sensor in the SEATs). In this case, the value will be shown at zero (0).

With best regards,
AutoPolar Support
So basically they are saying the 2015 ECU does not support EGT readings.

I believe this to be incorrect as obviously the ECU does monitor the EGT's for DPF regenerations.

Does anyone happen to have the PID's and formulations for the 2015 Passat? Maybe I can send it to them and they can incorporate it into the next firmware update.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
See this is where the phase 1 fix has modified those PIDs, I am really unversed with PIDs and only thing i have is from a member here via that excel spreed sheet to work via torque.

That's def great news.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
I tried to install a polar fis in my 2015 passat tdi sel premium the car has push button start and when I installed the unit my car would not start. Kept saying "key not in range" I just bought it from kermatdi that I sent them a email to see if there is anything that I did wrong but when I removed the unit the car started right up. Just waiting for a response to see what I can do. oh it's a PF03 that I updated to the latest firmware of of polar's site. Dam I want this thing looks so cool

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did kerma state it'd work for you?

Polar sells a Kessy compatible unit, the '15 may be a homogulated version of mk5 and Mk7 components Mk5 BCM/MFI, yet MK7 engine controllers.

Sadly I don't think kerma has the full line up of Polar.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
Did kerma state it'd work for you?

Polar sells a Kessy compatible unit, the '15 may be a homogulated version of mk5 and Mk7 components Mk5 BCM/MFI, yet MK7 engine controllers.

Sadly I don't think kerma has the full line up of Polar.
Different person but same car and Kerma told me they have nothing as of now that will work for me. I’m on the “list” of people they will contact when they have a viable option. The 2015 sel seems to be a strange mix of cars. Currently running a scan gauge but would love to get rid of it and use the MFD.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did get EGTs to work on our phase 1 fixed car. I was able to pry the Passat away from the wife and had had two days of work out of town that I commuted to. 143 miles one way, I fired up the torque app that worked on my old CJAA and CRKA and low and behold the same gauges worked (not sure if the scaling is 100% correct but still worked). I used the CSV file that was provided by a member here a while ago.

Take aways in 600ish miles

two regen were noticed, one about 130 miles from home day 1 second on day two headed back north. AAbout 250 miles or so between them. Regens EGT stayed right around 1100 and lasted for what seemed like 5-10 minutes, quite a long time. normal was around 500-700 depending if climbing a largish hill.

ICAT was screaming high during regens, peaked at 330F, typically stayed around 20-30 degrees higher than coolant on the flats.

I monitored EGT1 and EGT 3 not sure where they correlate to the sensors, but EGT 1 always lagged EGT3, so I'm guessing this is the pre or post DPF. This was the same as the CJAA and CRKA.

EGT3 was very dependent on throttle input, and peaked around 1500 briefly during regen and climbing a hill.

Over all MPG of the trips was stunk compared to the MFI, got around 46mpg hand calculated (MFI showed 48-52MPG). Cruise was set at 70 majority of the time, but she did see tripple digits a few times just to prove the tune was worth its money (it soooo is).

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
I typically see regens last 15 to 20 minutes. What is ICAT?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry the CSV file shows it as CACT charged air cooler temp, i think the values i'm looking at are after the IC.

That water to air intercooler is great on highway drives, but she stays heat soaked if you're pushing her.

as for coding that worked for torque hers the snippit from the csv file

VW Exhaust Temperature 1 ET1 178 (((B*256)+C)/10)-40 -40 1500 °C Auto
VW Exhaust Temperature 2 ET2 178 (((D*256)+E)/10)-40 -40 1500 °C Auto
VW Exhaust Temperature 3 ET3 178 (((F*256)+G)/10)-40 -40 1500 °C Auto
VW Exhaust Temperature 4 ET4 178 (((H*256)+I)/10)-40 -40 1500 °C Auto

178 is the mode/PID

paulk124

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
Fixmy59bug, were you ever able to get your PF03 to display EGTs? I notice that Polar has a version 5.6. Maybe that version will display the EGTs.

paulk124

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
I opened a support ticket at the AutoPolar web site and here is their response:
When one vehicle owner make the dieselgate upgrade, usually they put newer software versions of ECUs, and in some cases, this versions are not supported by the PolarFIS device.
By the way, this not means that PolarFIS not works with DIESELGATE upgraded cars, customer only need to contact us and we will ask him for the new ECU REFERENCE and upgrade for the next firmware, just we need to know the new reference for work and add it. So, if you know more ppl that have this issue, please tell them to open ticket here and we will ugprade in 48/72 hours.
In fact, we upgraded already tons of new ECUs of dieselgate, but there is a lot of variants, so we must go step by step, and the only way is that users helping us reporting the ECU not supported.
I checked the support and you need to install last FW version for your PF03, currently is v0.5.7b2 (not v0.5.6)
About information, PF03 is a discontinue product cos new version is PF04, this is the reason we not put info in website now for PF04, but this last updates are mainly new ecus not supported and fixments of other issues reported by customers.
So according to AutoPolar, they only need your ECU REFERENCE then they will provide an upgraded firmware that supports your ECU within 48-72 hours.
Go here to open a support tick at AutoPolar. You will need to create an account first. There is a link from the support ticket page to login/create an account.
As for the download link for new firmware versions, I think you just use the download tool directly to get new firmware versions. Download their update tool from here. With your PF03 connected with a USB cable, run the executable. Then click the Update button. Browse to the latest beta firmware. I did this with my unit and updated it to version 0.5.7b2.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Ok. So they must have changed the updater.

The last time I ran the updater, I had to download the file and point the updater to the location of the file. Now it connects to the server and you can select which version you want. REALLY convenient now...

The good news is that it now works with firmware version 5.7b2. After phase 2 of the exhaust modification, the module would display only a few parameters and I couldn’t access the module to change the parameters. It said ECU not supported.

Now, with the new firmware, I can access the module again and can change the parameters. However, there is no reading for the exhaust gas temperatures. But at the same time, I can’t find those measure value blocks with my VCDS anymore either. So maybe the ECU doesn’t make them available.

But at least I can watch the DPF load, DPF pressure, and miles since last regen to know when it is regenerating...

chevelle496

TDI
2015 passat tdi
Fixmy59bug Would the fis read egt temps after phase 1 of the exhaust modifications? I have not taken my car in for phase 2 as of yet, hesitant, due to as far as i am aware kerma has nothing for updated tunes as of yet. Granted my information is a few months old as i have not messaged and ask lately. And have not received any notifications from kerma to as any new updated tunes are ready.
I just can not drive this car with the stock tune in it, absolutely a slow moving dog without the tune. Thanks

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Edit:

Yes and no...

On the 2014 after phase 1, I was able to read EGT’s. I didn’t have the 2014 through phase 2.

On the 2015, I was unable to read EGT’s at anytime.

So maybe the CVCA ECU doesn’t make them available....

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
The guys have requested that I check to see if EGT's are even accessable using VCDS.

If they are, they can modify the file.

But if not, Then there is nothing they can do.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They are, I've monitored our '15 phase 1 EGTs using Torque pro, they were under the same PID data that I used for my CJAA. Again, a combo of mk5 and mk7 will make the '15 passat very confusing.

I'm not sure if phase 2 fix modified them.