View Single Post
Old April 12th, 2018, 11:23   #32
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I don't think that will happen here. Every time it even gets mentioned, people start to go bananas. (I don't, I laugh... but I'm not driving a pig either).

In this country, we instead reward people for bad choices: case in point, Cash for Clunkers. People who bought a pig, that lost value quickly, and didn't take care of it, got a nice cash payout. People like me, who bought an efficient car that held its value and took care of it... got nothing beyond what I granted myself for making a wise choice in the first place. And my tax dollars went to pay for the idiots who made poor decisions.
I looked at the cash for clunkers deals. There was not a vehicle out there that got high enough mileage to replace any of the cars I had at that time. Without really trying, I had found myself in that magic land of decent fuel economy on everything in the drive. I think we were a four car family at the time too.

The only way to get people to give up their monster vehicles is fuel prices. When it costs over $100 a week to fill it up, many people are going to figure out they can't afford the beast and food at the same time.

Tax increases will only work if there is a transparent system where we are told where each cent collected is going. People may be willing to pay more if they know what it is being used for. When we lived in Wisconsin, they published where are the property taxes were going. Made it easier to pay when you knew that 55 cents (just a number off the top of my head) of every dollar was going to the local schools. I have no idea where any of my taxes now are going.

Page generated in 0.06527 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 16.45 Kb. compressed to 14.90 Kb. by saving 1.55 Kb. (9.42%)]