2.8 Powerstroke into a Ford Ranger

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
Edit: Dieseltoyz.com no longer carries the 2.8 powerstroke engine.

I’m looking for more information on a conversion, 2.8 Powerstroke into a Ford Ranger. If someone has experience or can direct me to information I’d greatly appreciate it.
Here are some of the things I do know:

Direct bolt into US ford ranger pickups

Engine is available from Diesel Toyz

http://www.dieseltoyz.com/

Cost is $5000 shipped. Engine is new with warranty.

Will work with NV series transmissions, AX series transmissions series transmissions series transmissions
True one wire engine (one wire to fuel cut solenoid)
277 ft/lbs torque at 1400 rpm
Direct injection turbo diesel with variable vane turbo
Bosch pump
Intercooled from factory
2 stage injectors

I also know that information is limited compared to Toyota diesel conversions.

Last edited:

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
So... does that mean it doesn't have an engine computer? Holy crap, I may toss out everything and go back to a Ranger...:eek:

highflyin250x

TDI
samurai 1.6 n/a
I am looking for information on these conversions. All i have found is people putting them in land rovers. Bolt in swap for a Ranger sounds great. From what i have read they can be adapted to many transmissions, but i was really hoping that someone could lay it all out. What else can they be swaped into? How difficult is getting the engine fully functional (guages, A/C, and all)? With all that torque will a stock ranger trans hold up? any 6 speed trans avalible? What trannys do they bolt up to, and which need adapters?

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
I’ve got the same questions. For fun you can check out this powerstroke ranger. It’s the real deal not a conversion.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6035&st=0&p=81210&#entry81210

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
That kind of conversion probably couldn't be done legally or at least driven on the road legally in some states. That would (or might) include any state with an emissions test requirement.

highflyin250x

TDI
samurai 1.6 n/a
I asked dieseltoyz about the warranty on the engine and got the response

"We are currently not offering engines for sale, only conversions. -Todd"

But i have heard that there are other sources for these engines, maybe even a little cheaper. I am trying to track them down. If i only had the info to figure out if i am actually going to try and do this.

highflyin250x

TDI
samurai 1.6 n/a
i asked the guy on ebay if the motor is a bolt in swap for a ranger and this is the response i got

[FONT=Arial, Verdana]Hi Hello
They are a direct bolt in when replacing a 300TDI diesel. Some mods to motor mounts. OOPS you mean Ford Ranger. No they are not a drop in but size and power they would make a very nice engine in the truck. In South America they were used for years. They used a Eatom 5 speed that is not sold in North America.
The engine is sold for off road use only or in trucks that are 25 years of age. The engines are not EPA certified. They burn a lot cleaner than some diesels that are certifued.
Stephen
[/FONT]

cbass94

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 2011 JSW
This is the most popular swap for the Land Rover Defender 90. It's a HS2.8 Liter TGV engine built by MWM-International (same company that makes the Powerstrokes). They can be sourced here and bought to your heart's content: http://www.obwcanada.com/ This is that same guy that was selling the engine on Ebay that is listed above

They are a great engine for a swap because they don't have too many electronics. There is a better engine (IMO) for this swap though, and it's actually the one that is sold in South America currently in the Ford Ranger and F150. It's the 3.0L NGD International engine. I like it better because it's common-rail (with the piezo-electronic actuators, yada, yada, yada) and because it's got a variable geometry turbocharger (similar to the MKIV+ VW TDI's as you know). This provides it with phenomenal torque from very low in the rev range and great driving characteristics. More info about that engine can be found here: http://www.mwm-international.com.br/default.asp?su=3&pa=series&idSerie=23

It has been rumored that Ford is putting a version of this 3.0L NGD engine in some delivery trucks this year in the US, but I have yet to get my hands on one of them here in the US. They are all over Brazil though, and were there even 3 years ago.

*EDIT* Read to your heart's content about the 2.8 here: http://d-90.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4200&highlight=diesel+2.8

Last edited:

redhedbronco

TDI
69 Bronco 4bt
If you want to do it cheaply buy a Frito van. Have 3.9 Cummins can bolt Ford, Chevy or Dodge to them. Last 300-400k before rebuild. A guy called "Mooktank" put one into a newer Ranger and claims close to 40 mpg and all the power you want. You can get these vans for 1000 or less.

Dieseltoys

Vendor
TDI
Toyota Diesel
We had a small shipment back in 2005 and quickly sold them all. We no longer carry these engines, know where to get them, or provide information on these engines. Great engines though.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Just thought I'd drop this link in since I'm rebuilding an old Land Rover with new almost everything. My engine is the same 2.8 Powerstroke used in the Ranger above.
It was a development of Land Rover's 2.5 tdi aka 300tdi engine, but much improved.
http://www.mdengineering.co.uk/index.php