Webster Texas VW Shop

07six-o

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
I just found a shop that is near me and I wanted to see if anyone has used them or know anything about them. Its called VW Auto Works in Webster,TX. 18420 HWY 3 ste B Webster,TX. 77598.

Lonnie

Archetype

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
I have driven by it quite a few times (I work in Webster) Never been there though! I will ask around.

horsieclatter

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Is this the member named "w_autoworks" ?? people from the greater friendswood tri county area wanna know...

07six-o

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Is this the member named "w_autoworks" ?? people from the greater friendswood tri county area wanna know...
Not sure! I tried looking up that name but it said it has been disabled or something. I would like to know if anyone has been there or know anything about them. My ac is still jacked up and looking for a place to take it.

Lonnie

07six-o

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
They have been booked since I posted this and I drop my car off next Thursday so I guess we will see. I will let you know once I get my car in there and post back how it went. I'm just going to be glad to get the ac working again.

Lonnie

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Hey Lonnie: VW A/C systems are no different than the ones in other cars. Take the car to a shop that specializes in A/C repair. It maybe a less expensive alternative.

07six-o

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Hey Lonnie: VW A/C systems are no different than the ones in other cars. Take the car to a shop that specializes in A/C repair. It maybe a less expensive alternative.
I did! I took it to a shop in Houston called Nevco and they said I needed to take it to a shop that specializes in VW's. So that's where I'm at now. I will be dropping it off this Thursday.

Lonnie

horsieclatter

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
keep us posted... I still suspect this shop is the user mentioned earlier. a busy shop is usually a good thing... up to the point where a guy can't get a day off when he really needs one once too many times...

07six-o

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
keep us posted... I still suspect this shop is the user mentioned earlier. a busy shop is usually a good thing... up to the point where a guy can't get a day off when he really needs one once too many times...
Yep today is the day! Dropping it off around 4 today! Hope they can get to the bottom of it......

Lonnie

07six-o

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
UP DATE!

This place was a ripppp offfff! Would not send anyone to this place..... Spent $380.00 and all they did was rig a wire from the fuse box to a replay for the fans to come on all the time. Which didn't even fix my problem! I tried to stop payment on the check but he had already taken it to the bank! Shady Shady place.....

Lonnie

w autoworks

TDI
47 mpg's @80 alh jetta
it sucks u feel uve been ripped off, i made a few attempts to calm u down, even though u werent mad at me. and the offer still stands for you to stand side by side with us to show you why we added the wire to up the low signal u had , as we go from the beginning to the end. ur not the only guy with this issue and u said ur self the dealer has never been able to fix your 15 mins without fans working. not here to argue or debate. if u feel u got screwed thats sucks . but again we will be more then happy to put it back on the lift and go from the first point to the last to show how and why we did what we did.

im still seeing these issues and i want someone who has this issue , and is car savvi to get the ohm reading for the fan switch and using an i.r. temp gun will verify the temp are off. ran into this twice , and a few other issues , but untill the dealer acknowledges this is a problem i fear it may make a lot of other shops look shady . lonnie once again , u feel u got screwed and u dont wanna deal with ali ill be here friday and monday as he takes his vacation and we can go throught the whole diagnosing process together.

otherwise i recommend riesu motorsports. i have met this get up and gettem guy a few times and he seems to know his stuff. he used to be an audi tech , and thats a step above us! his name is rashaud and he is on google. give him a ring and see what he says. if not theres mom's but they send us stuff they cant do thats tough. hmmm. not too many vw shops around houston that do vws well.

Last edited:

w autoworks

TDI
47 mpg's @80 alh jetta
thats about right. my saying is"we give you five days , give us two please"

07six-o

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
it sucks u feel uve been ripped off, i made a few attempts to calm u down, even though u werent mad at me. and the offer still stands for you to stand side by side with us to show you why we added the wire to up the low signal u had , as we go from the beginning to the end. ur not the only guy with this issue and u said ur self the dealer has never been able to fix your 15 mins without fans working. not here to argue or debate. if u feel u got screwed thats sucks . but again we will be more then happy to put it back on the lift and go from the first point to the last to show how and why we did what we did.

im still seeing these issues and i want someone who has this issue , and is car savvi to get the ohm reading for the fan switch and using an i.r. temp gun will verify the temp are off. ran into this twice , and a few other issues , but untill the dealer acknowledges this is a problem i fear it may make a lot of other shops look shady . lonnie once again , u feel u got screwed and u dont wanna deal with ali ill be here friday and monday as he takes his vacation and we can go throught the whole diagnosing process together.

otherwise i recommend riesu motorsports. i have met this get up and gettem guy a few times and he seems to know his stuff. he used to be an audi tech , and thats a step above us! his name is rashaud and he is on google. give him a ring and see what he says. if not theres mom's but they send us stuff they cant do thats tough. hmmm. not too many vw shops around houston that do vws well.
Keaton,

I really don't know where to start! What Ali did to my car and charged me $380 dollars to fix is not right and I think you know it...... Its funny that you say "15 min without fans working". I didnt take my car to yall for the fans not working. I took the car for the delay in the A/C coming on when the car would sit for over 8 hrs. Ali and you know this but after I flipped a lid on the way that it was so called fixed yall start saying that you fixed the fan delay. I told Ali that I didnt want all my money back and I told him I was willing to pay for the 60 DIAG. fee and the price for the wire and end but the rest of the $380 bucks I thought was just alittle over the top. You knew I didnt understand why it was that high when you called me. On the phone you said the relay and wire was just added in with the bill and it was free but I see it was added to the bill. (relay $22.41,Pin $4.09). But I still find it funny that Ali rushed out and cashed the check.... That right there I find fishy and now I understand why..... When I picked up my car Ali told me the car was fixed and I told him I would call in the morning and let him know if it was fixed. I called 4 times and left messages but no one ever called me back. So that was why I just kept calling until I got Ali on the phone. Know I understand why he didnt want to talk with me.... I ended up taking the car back to Clearlake VW to fix what Ali rigged on my car and to try and fix this delay in the ac that they have been looking for. They ended up having to put another compressor on the car and I just picked it up tonight so I will tell in the morning if it is fixed as I have to let it sit for 8 hrs for it to have the delay.

Lonnie

horsieclatter

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
here we go...
having formerly been "in the business" back in the day...(I was a good shop helper that could change oil, etc on porsches&beemers&benzes w/o wrecking the car cuz the real mechanics did not get paid for such gruntwork), what the shop is saying here makes sense to me. since the compressor "seemed" to be working correctly, It did (EDIT PLZ ADD "NOT")"seem" to be THE problem.

BUT, the car was not really fixed. AND
BOTH the shop & customer are seeking satisfactory answers for this oddball issue.
Would a guru please chime in??

On a side note about certain brands... my personal local mechanic has laid down the law with me that he will not ever touch my car for two reasons:
it's a vw & it's diesel.
this is due to little experience w/ vw & no experience w/ diesel. this was not to be mean, just to be honest with his abilities. thank you, sir. Please keep my hondas & chevys fixed to stay out of a note...
Remember that french cars are worse....

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
The above scenarios described are why I prefer to have my diesel service by Guru's outside of Houston (Fort Worth, Austin, Dallas).

There is a great procedure for troubleshooting a non-working A/C system here which has been posted by DanG144. It's very detailed and goes well into the diagnosis of the electronic workings.

w autoworks

TDI
47 mpg's @80 alh jetta
heres the problem with this scenario! when the ac is on its cold, correct? all day it runs cold,correct? the pressure readings came out correct when the fans wouldnt activate , and when they did turn on the pressure levels were correct. and i mean in the shop temp was 114 degrees , low side psi was 38 to 40 , high side was 240 to 244. those numbers mean the ac was great. when the temp of the shop cooled down and the fans worked the psi were:35 to 36 low side and 225 to 228 high side. u cant get better readings than that anywhere!
,,,,,, so why do they think changing the compressor will fix it? unless they ask for an expensive part with a decently high labor rate(with evac and recharge) , so they can have the labor time and profit for the part cover whatever else they may find to replace. thats how the game goes . i hope to god they fix the issue but all the vw techs i called and competeing shops all say the same thing. compressors not going to fix it, there going to charge him and find something easy to do.
Ask for the parts back! dont forget to ask to see the parts come of or see the parts when its done to verify they did replace something. dont ask for a "part" in specific , just say parts, if he or she asks"which parts" dont be descriptive. and see how long it takes to get the parts to you. if its quick see what all they took off. if it takes a while see whos talking to whom.
Theres foul play with the design of the new model cars.we dealt with the foul play as technicians barely makin enough to survive while being threatened in one way or another to not open transmissions and stuff or we pay for it . so as shop owners instead of doing what we were told , we are breaking new ground on lots of stuff. remember the drain vent recall , been doing that for free for years, and theres so many customers that were told replace the tranny. we found out the secrets to there problems and fixed them for sometimes 2 or 300. the dealer qouted them sometimes as high as 5 thousand for the same thing we fixed for 200.the list goes on.
No matter if u dont trust us or hate us , dont care. just saying use this ammo im giving you . u as a customer have many rights shops dont want youto know even exist. doors still open . sorry about how u feel ali treated you. if u had come to me about this i would have dealt with you both seperately . ali has a way of shooting from the hip if he gets insulted. thats fine i accept him. and you too. i would like to find a way to make you happy because i think ur kinda cool and would like to invite u over anytime. not ass kissing just sayin. im all ears and feel free to ask me any question either here or on the phone. 832 444 6889 my cell

Last edited:

w autoworks

TDI
47 mpg's @80 alh jetta
The above scenarios described are why I prefer to have my diesel service by Guru's outside of Houston (Fort Worth, Austin, Dallas).

There is a great procedure for troubleshooting a non-working A/C system here which has been posted by DanG144. It's very detailed and goes well into the diagnosis of the electronic workings.
its not a non working system. the fans wouldnt turn on till the engines temp got to 160 degrees. the ac worked! but not effiecently till they kicked on!water temp snsr is fine fan switch is fine fan control module follows instructions. maybe a body control module has too much resistance to an input wire or the output driver in the module isnt sending enough through. either way it costs a hell of a lot more to do that stuff. maybe im wrong and should do as the dealer wants , but this is the first time anyone objected , AND WE HAVE no comebacks ! people throw great reviews on there , so what am i missing? i didnt communicate with you well enough or...? im listening now !

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I have no beef with your shop. I have not gone to you for service. I was merely mentioning a thread here that has some good diagnostics for A/C troubleshooting. I have a good mechanic in Ft. Worth I have do what I prefer to not do myself.

I have been driving over 40 years. I have been fixing my own cars for almost that long. Everything except rebuilding automatic transmissions (I don't have the tools). I am a mechanical engineer and have rebuilt equipment that has 8,000 HP engines, shaft sizes as big as your thigh and pumps as big as a VW.

What irks me is the recent attitude (last few years it seems) from dealerships and certain repair shops that the car owner is a "fish" about to be hooked into a big bill unless he is savvy enough to figure out ahead of time what needs to be done and how it should be done. Where has integrity and professional ethics gone? It seems like all people who own cars and can't work on them themselves are being lined up for painful ram job. This site has lots of evidence that this is the norm these days.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
AJ, thanks for mentioning me..Austin area...I guess that includes me..

I was in the Coast Guard and worked on some huge diesels...

I got to give it to w, for trying to fix the factory problem/defect..Instead of just throwing parts at it...

This time of the year the fans show come on with the AC...No matter what the ambient temp..

w autoworks

TDI
47 mpg's @80 alh jetta
i never understood it but was pressed to follow along untill i just couldnt stomach it anymore. i started throwing up and got sick often. i guess my concuios wouldnt allow and more b.s. so i went from shp 2 shp looking for honesty. myfirst job lasted two weeks at randalls. since and before then its all been cars. i cannot lie without getting caught so i choose not to do it at all. even if it makes others upset to know the truth. but the truth aslways sets us free so i take that road. and ur right respect ,self respect, patients , and caring for fellow man has become obsolete! im very saddened by this. spoke to lonnie while still working(9pm) and we figured it all out. im going to take care of him and h met a valeo rep at the dealer explaning why chnaging the comp fixed it. because the high side switch is attached to the compressor means (once again) a cheap part costs a lot lot lot of money to repair. it seems the games will never end and im getting tired of trying to find ways to top this maddnes on our end.

but i wont quit on u guys ever!

w autoworks

TDI
47 mpg's @80 alh jetta
that whole fish on the hook things makes me wanna gag and throw up. had a little man as a boss down the road saying that crap. lets just say when he did wrong stuff he had a very short amount of time to get in his bigassed truck and drive away! i wont tolerate it at all! i made his life hell till he quit. i hope he is bagging groceries or something where he can never get in someones wallet.....

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
AJ, thanks for mentioning me..Austin area...I guess that includes me..

I was in the Coast Guard and worked on some huge diesels...
I got to give it to w, for trying to fix the factory problem/defect..Instead of just throwing parts at it...
This time of the year the fans show come on with the AC...No matter what the ambient temp..
Yes Randy, you guys in Austin area are tops!
No disrespect for w here, I am just venting some personal frustration (wife's car - Lexus dealer issue), but I'll get over it.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
AJ, I dont think you were to hard on him...I wanted to hear both sides first..There is a bug in these AC units..I dont believe anyone has figured it out yet..It sounds like he may be on to something.

I would also like to hear back from the 07-six o, and see what the fix was and how much was spent, then we can see more of the overall picture...

horsieclatter

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I had to edit my earlier post to include a missing "not" in a critical spot concerning the $$$ part..... that's what I wanted to believe from the beginning. that the compressor was not the problem; just a POS el-cheapo part attached to it that cannot be separated from the $$$ part was the problem. I always hated to witness those difficult jobs that came in from time to time. those always seemed to be just like this; a factory engineering vs. accounting decision the veepees made long ago coming back to haunt the local guy after the warranty expires.... ad nauseum.
Hang in there w... cold air is simply a must in Texas; Canada not so much.

07six-o

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
I called Keaton after he made that post with his Cell number in it and he was very willing to work with me. We both agreed and are satisfied with what we worked out. Not many shops would have worked this out but I should have talked with him first. Thanks again Keaton for working this out!

The car has been perfect so far and still comes on before I pull her out of the garage. I hope this new compressor last longer than a year this time.....

Lonnie

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
I have gone to Keaton/Ali's shop, took my car in for turbo problem(s).
Turbo has genetics problem and was not able to get repaired like I wanted...
(bad vacuum actuator)

Keaton will listen and will try to get the problem resolved(IMHO).

horsieclatter

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Keaton & Ali fixed up my recent no start problem.... drove home & parked in garage... next morning no start, spun over fine, no fire. installed new fuel filter I had on hand, no change. was wiring problem. found & fixed brake vacuum issue. pedal was feeling like a brick lately....

will be heading back for serious fuel leak. "appears" to be injection pump... yikes... found fuel in the mounting bracket webbing underneath pump. was recently smelling raw diesel fuel & found a wet spot of fuel in my driveway; finally opened hood. aint going nowhere in that fire hazard this weekend...

nuclear

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
My experience is overall negative with VW autoworks. One of the worst experiences I've had with any mechanic, filled with dishonesty and unethical behavior.

I had a Glow plug CEL code that required me to replace the Glow Plug fuse on my 96' B4 (everything else relevant was replaced already, although I wasn't entirely confident to rule that out). It's a pretty common issue on these cars. I couldn't find the fuse, and as it turns out it was VERY hidden (I read this is caused by a variety of people installing them in different locations at the factory).

Glow plug reference sticky for B4
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=204372

So I decided to take my running car it in to this local VW shop and tell them to diagnose it and replace the fuse. They initially came back to me and told me that it was the coolant fuse on the firewall, I told them that wasn't it and that it was under the dash,(see the reference sticky above) I needed them to find it and I thought their experience might would be better served finding that

Anyway, I guess I wasn't believed so they suggested trying different spare relays that would be relevant, including the 109 and the my 96' model GP 103 relay. I provided the photos and text of the relays (see reference sticky). I figured no harm. No results. I mentioned that the 97' model used a 180 relay but that it didn't apply to this car (may have been a big mistake to mention this) as shown in the 97 photo, but it showed the GP fuse..so I showed it. I suspect that the tech ali inserted it and tested it although he denied it for about 3 days until a seriously confronted him on it.This alone is completely unacceptable. It was plain dishonesty.

After this, All future tests of the GP harness getting voltage/power failed... on top of it..my engine wouldn't start and the power windows/radio wouldn't work. Also, I noticed the door chime and cluster lights on the bottom were no longer working when the key was inserted. I later realized my radio wiring was shorted out as well when I got home.

from B4 GP sticky
Important Note: The wiring harness change in the B4 TDI took place part way through the 1997 model year. According to the Bentley manual the change over took place at the end of October 1996 for the last of the early, BK/GQ/103 wiring harness, with a November 1996 start for the later, FA/180 wiring harness. Very early 1997 models, those built in June through October of 1996, might therefore have a harness similar to the 1996 models and would require the "103" relay.
The glow plug relays are not interchangeable between harnesses. The relays and/or the wiring harnesses can be damaged, and wiring harness fire inside the cabin is a real possibility, due to the dead shorts created by improper glow plug relay use.
Lug Nut, can you comment on any variations in GP relay locations for Canadian-supplied TDI's? (maybe they are not different...?)
A good friend of mine "lost" his TDI to a fat-fingered mechanic here in South Carolina who decided to plug a "180" into position #12 on his 1999 Jetta. it's too late for the car, but someone else might have a Jetta from "up-Nawth" and run across this same problem.
Mine was similarly 'serviced' with a duplicate glow relay in #12 when I rescued it from the prior owner's mechanic. There was no apparent damage from this period.
There was some wiring insulation melted through and shorted wires, but once those were cut out and replaced, and the offending relay removed, the starter no longer spun up and engaged each time the clutch was pressed to the floor to shift.
"Friend's" computer got toasted.
Shop offered him the blue-book $...the car had over 150K miles on it (and got 52 mpg+ on the road.)
No-one around here uses this shop any more...
Their excuse was "Oh, it must have come from CANADA" (!) since he originally bought it in Maine.
There is no end of ways to screw-up something when you don't know what you are doing!!
Lug_Nut said:
it was due to the wrong glow plug relay being installed instead of the correct one. A fuse would have oveheated and opened the circuit before damage occurred, the wrong relay made an unfused circuit and the wire itself became an electric heater.
A bundle of about 8 wires overheated from electricity constantly flowing through the wrong relay and through one wire. The heat produced within this one wire melted the vinyl insulators where the other wires were touching this overheating one.
remove the complete fuse cover over the pedals, remove the clam-shell around the steering column. Carefullt check the wire harnesses behind / above the fuse block and along the steering column. All the wires should be separate, maybe cable tied to, but not bonded to, any other wires that touch.
I eventually had to show them where the GP fuse was after searching thoroughly (It was a b*). That got replaced. I should have just done it myself

Continuing to get the car running again. Ali suspected the alarm control module was the starting issue because no signal was being transmitted after turning the key. Ali jumped the alarm control module and was able to get the starter to engage when turning the key. I ended up buying an Alarm control module because he thought it could be defective. This did nothing. Even after jumping however, no power was getting to the fuel pump and the engine did not start. This alarm module bypass did nothing for my cluster lights or windows either.

Testing voltage and other places revealed that the ECU was only getting ground when the key was turned.

I confronted Ali early in the morning 4 days after my car was dropped off about inserting the 180 into my 96' model and finally after about 3 days of denying inserting the wrong fuse. Stating in fact I saw him take it to the car. He admitted to it and said it would fit rather weird and not well. I took this as a sign of honesty, finally. Ali was working hard on my car and had offered to fix all of it for free. My wife showed up, as I obviously didn't have a ride and made some comments. I was rather upset, mainly for being lied to about it but I declined his free offer due to his sincerity and that I wanted my car out asap.

Continuing on the car. the ignition switch was suspected the previous day and it came in. it worked. My Radio power connections are still shorted out to this day however.

I ended up getting billed $240. This was just for my car to get running on an new ignition switch (not installed) and fuse installed +labor. Air bag not installed, just enough to get moving. Keaton has since told me he didn't know Ali offered to fix it all for free.

The GP still throws the code, btw..even when cleared. The fuse is good, not burnt.

My experience was a waste of time and full of dishonesty on their part.

I wasn't gonna post this experience at all as I had settled things reasonably with my visit Ali, and I just wanted my car on the road. But the arrogance and inaccuracy of the crap just annoyed the **** out of me. Keaton posted this about me and my wife on my car issue.

Keaton: i dew knot knoe why n.a.s.a. engineers think thye know everything but cannot apply it! why? they come over with all this paper nicely printed and stapled showing me there opinion. well why did you bring it here? u couldnt fix it so , as i ask, dont mess up my steps to diagnose.

11 hours ago · View feedback (13)Hide feedback (13)

• Keaton: the nasa guys wife came over telling me were suppossed to fix cars not break them. so while shes yelling at ali i did what i wanted to do in the first place and what do you think happened??????????? i found the problem and started the car! relax!!!!!! let us do our jobs and u can go and do yours ! dont need u to push us

Pretty ****ing unprofessional

Last edited:

w autoworks

TDI
47 mpg's @80 alh jetta
My experience is overall negative with VW autoworks. One of the worst experiences I've had with any mechanic, filled with dishonesty and unethical behavior.

Keaton: i dew knot knoe why n.a.s.a. engineers think thye know everything but cannot apply it! why? they come over with all this paper nicely printed and stapled showing me there opinion. well why did you bring it here? u couldnt fix it so , as i ask, dont mess up my steps to diagnose.

11 hours ago · View feedback (13)Hide feedback (13)

• Keaton: the nasa guys wife came over telling me were suppossed to fix cars not break them. so while shes yelling at ali i did what i wanted to do in the first place and what do you think happened??????????? i found the problem and started the car! relax!!!!!! let us do our jobs and u can go and do yours ! dont need u to push us

Pretty ****ing unprofessional
NOTICE A PATTERN, when u walk into a shop and bulldoze technician after technician screwing up what there doing day after day. and at the end u get all mad and post this where ever you go. before u call the kettle black take a look at yourself.
ali and i have had this shop three years and only ONE other time have we been railroaded by someone who thinks he knows more about the car then us,only to be told incorrect information time and time again. he ignition switch was the bad guy the whole time AND EVEN AFTER U DENYING THE SWITCH i still ordered it. WANNA GUESS WHAT HAPPENED? the car turned on! hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

call us bad guys all u want. but it makes u look worse.
HOW CAN U BE THE ONLY GUY TO HAVE ALLLLLLL THESE PROBLEMS BACK TO BACK???????????? IN DIFFERENT STATES EVEN! i and ali even played dumb so u could say what u wanted to tell us so bad , just to get it out of your mind. when the ignition switch went bad u went nuts and started pulling the ecm WHILE WE WERE ACTUALLY TRYING TO DIAG THE CAR! HOW in your experience does standing over techs and taking things apart while were working helping at all! i asked if u needed a ride somewhere or to somewhere have a seat , everything. still on our asses. no respect or knowledge of whats going on but ur gunna get in there with us and pressing ur opinion. u sir need to let others do there jobs without you interfereing. THAT MAY END ALL OF YOUR BAD CAR ADVENTURES ! put a bad taste in my mouth for going the extra mile for people.thats all im going to say and love me or hate me im not looking here again. good luck and i hope all goes well with you and yours in washington