defrost mirrors

Tditodd

TDI
2000 red
If I have read right the side mirrors defrost when you turn the rear window defroster on.Now mine don't seem to be working and can't see any fuse blown then maybe i just don't know how to work these things.(went from yugo to jetta a big jump in toys) But i do know I have the side mirror defrost on my car. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Another poster who doesn't give: location, model, make, and year.

So, off to the dart board again...

1954 Buick 4-door sedan, in Miami Fla.

Ok, you don't have heated mirrors. And surely won't need them in Florida!

[ Now on the offhand chance that my dart-throwing capabilities did not successfully pic your correct make/model/year, and that you might possibly own a VW Jetta/Golf that is just a few years old, then the rear view mirror heaters do not activate with the rear window. They activate with the power mirror switch being set in the middle.]

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
???????????????

Your right-side mirror defrosts when the rear window defroster is on?????? Hmmm... Ive been grousing because my right side mirror does NOT defrost when I have the defrost knob on the driver's side turned on..it never occurred to me that the switch would not turn on BOTH mirror's defroster...

These cars are more and more special....

ultrastevep

Veteran Member
TDI
None presently, have owned VW TDI's since my first in 2000
On my Jetta the side mirrors are adjustable by the side knob. You move it to "L" to adjust the left mirror, "R" for the right and the middle symbol is an heating element symbol to heat up or defrost the mirrors. On my Golf the mirrors were manual and I think the 'heat' was on all the time? , but on the Jetta the mirrors are only de-iced when in the middle position. Because of that (and maybe I'm wrong here), I don't leave it in the middle setting because I don't want the mirrors powered all the time...and as a result, the mirrors never get defrosted because I forget about the setting. /images/graemlins/eek.gif

JCope

TDI
2003 Golf GLS
So I’ve been defrosting my mirrors all summer?? I never thought it would work that way, didn't bother to read the manual about it. Seems kind of lame. That reminds me of the seat heater switch. There should be an indicator or something so you know they’re on. If my girlfriend happens to leave the passenger side one on, I won’t know until I happen to feel the seat or something. Between the constant mirror defrosting and the inadvertent seat heating, that must be the explanation for my poor mileage. I thought it was just because I’ve been driving like hell.

ultrastevep

Veteran Member
TDI
None presently, have owned VW TDI's since my first in 2000
I could be wrong here, but I do seem to remember reading something about keeping it turned off of the middle position when not in use. I agree that it's dumb and should shut off auto like the rear window defogger does.
When I buy my cars I skim read the manual, then come here from then on. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tditodd

TDI
2000 red
This is a 2000 jetta red 4 door Am,Fm,Cd.4 round wheels.(Last time I looked chevy did not put a TDI in)It's in the middle and still no heat and rear defroster is on so can anyone tell me how it is or why it don't work?

iaflyer

TDI
Jetta, 2000, Silver Arrow
Without a blown fuse, and with the switch in the middle position, the mirrors should heat. On my 2000 Jetta, the rear defrost switch seems to have no effect on the heating - only the positon of the mirror switch. I'd say that if you don't feel them heating within 1-2 minutes, the heating element is shot. I've had it happen to both my mirrors.

They were easy to replace - if you search on this board, instructions were given. The mirror cost me $24 for one side, and $37 for the other (don't ask me - same dealer, 2 weeks apart - they were different part #s though).

iaflyer

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
[ QUOTE ]
Tditodd said:It's in the middle and still no heat and rear defroster is on so can anyone tell me how it is or why it don't work?

[/ QUOTE ]Probably because you drove around all summer with the knob in the middle position, so now the heaters are burned out. If I hadn't noticed the little "defrost" symbol in the middle position when I first got the car, I probably would have done the same thing.

Cars without the little knob on the drivers door (cars with manual mirrors) turn on the mirror heat using the rear defrost button.

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
Weedeater said: [ QUOTE ]
So, off to the dart board again...

1954 Buick 4-door sedan, in Miami Fla.

Ok, you don't have heated mirrors. And surely won't need them in Florida!

[/ QUOTE ]

That just so cracks me up, I saw that in another post of yours. Would you be so kind as to throw that dart once for me? I would like to know what your thoughts on my third vehicle would be, using your 'dart' method.

Tanks,

Mike /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tditodd

TDI
2000 red
If they work and fit my 2000 jetta i will take them.let me know.Also i went out and checked mine and there is voltage when ever the knob is on defrost with or with out rear window defroster on.SO turn the defroster off in summer or when no frost. should work with rear window defroster.

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6, Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Tditodd said:
If they work and fit my 2000 jetta i will take them.let me know.Also i went out and checked mine and there is voltage when ever the knob is on defrost with or with out rear window defroster on.SO turn the defroster off in summer or when no frost. should work with rear window defroster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked on my car (separate mirror adjustment) and the mirrors do not come on in either left or right when the rear defroster is on. So, the only way to switch the heating on is to put the switch in the middle position.

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
Im interested in this thread since the right mirror of my '02 NB is apparently shot. Do you replace the entire mirror module -- the whole mess bolted to the doorframe --, or just the mirror itself, or just the heating element?

Its getting cool in Ohio now, I like having my left-hand heated mirror.. my Suby didnt have them... like the right-side to match.. <g>

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
[ QUOTE ]
TDIfor said:
Im interested in this thread since the right mirror of my '02 NB is apparently shot. Do you replace the entire mirror module -- the whole mess bolted to the doorframe --, or just the mirror itself, or just the heating element?

Its getting cool in Ohio now, I like having my left-hand heated mirror.. my Suby didnt have them... like the right-side to match.. <g>

[/ QUOTE ]

Just adjust the mirror fully inwards (so you can get your finger behind the glass) and pry it out. Two wires attach to the heater element. Mirror glass and heater element are one part; the new glass comes with the round plastic snap-on mounting ring already in place. Plug and heat.

It would be nice if there was a way to revive the heating element. Is there something that can be done?