02 TDI Bright/Lowbeam light switch failing?

Maizor

TDI
'02 Jetta
'02 TDI... I was driving home last night and the bright/lowbeam switch stopped working properly.

When switching from brights the lowbeam (pull back) switch doesn't work unless I pull really hard and even then the lows sometimes flicker off. I started using the main console light switch.. I don't know what its called exactly? This thing:

To use my parking lights as lows so I wouldn't be left blind after oncoming traffic had passed!

Mmm I've looked around but I'm not sure where to start to look at the switch.

Grr silly still unfixed things going wrong with my newish-used tdi!

Intake clogged. (working on cleaning it hopefully soon...)
Failing lowbeam switch.
Failing gas tank switch.. (I took this apart and cleaned it with alcohol and it still only works half the time, tips??)

Oh one more question... when I do my intake cleaning should I really try to get a VAG-COM (ebay 15$??) and recalibrate the EGR as is suggested here: http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-7.html#h
is there anything negative about doing this or is this just something that is great and should be done to everyones car?

Last edited:

Looner

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
your hi/low beam cruise switch(multifunction switch) is probally screwed i just had same problem and changed swich($100 cnd) was easy to change but i seen someone hear just use electical contact cleaner and got his worrking

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
Well, a legitimate copy of VCDS (VagCom) is going to run you quite a bit more than 15$.

I would, however, definitely look into either getting a legitimate copy of VagCom and doing it your self or locating someone close that has it for you to use. When I had my timing belt done on my car I had the EGR recalibrated to hopefully prevent future clogging.