ALH TDI engine transplant into '84 Vanagon

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
This is a continuation of the Fuel Level Sending Unit & Sensor Mod:

11. This is a view of the ALH potentimeter attached to the modified Vanagon Fuel Level Sending Unit. Notice the small bolts I used to assemble the various parts. As mentioned later, these parts were given a "dab" of Red-Kote to prevent damage from corrision:

12. This is another view of the modified unit.....roughly in the "empty tank" position:

13. This is a view from the other side. In this view, you can see that I added an extension on the modified Vanagon Unit. I also bored a hole near the bottom if the extension. That hole has the plastic pivet point of the potentimeter from the ALH unit in it. Look close and you can see the end of the Float wire. Notice that the ALH Potentimeter is not "exactly" square with the Vanagon unit. It is slightly off square. That angle puts the float higher at the full position and keeps it a little more off the bottom at the empty position:

14. This view shows the Sensor wires in place. They are soldered on the Connector but are Clipped on the Potentimeter. I did not shorten the wires. The extra length was helpful with installation. It was impossible to install the Unit with it bolted together. Thus, working with various tools, I put the float part inside the tank first. Then I carefully bolted the two parts together and added Red-Kote to the bolt heads and nuts. Then, I plugged the sensor wires in place.....they are not crossed. (smile). Also, they were bent in a fashion to avoid contact with the float or float wire:

15. This is another view showing the wires:

16. This is a similar view as above. However, notice, the ALH Potentimeter is "off-set" from the modified Vanagon unit compared to the above photo. The off-set is necessary to allow the float to move thru the full sweep of the potentimeter. It is about 5/16 inch off the bottom at "empty." The first attempts I determined the float was hanging on an edge inside the tank which did not allow the Potentimeter to complete a full swing to the empty position.

17. This is a view of the MODIFIED unit installed in the Vanagon Fuel Tank:
EDIT: I have since cut the plastic away on this connector and soldered long pig-tail wires directly to the connection. The reason I did this is because the connector/plug was up fairly tight against the bottom of the Van flooring (sorry, no photos but it is a fairly straight forward procedure). I did cover the soldered connections with JB Weld.

18. Another view of the installed unit:

19. And, here is the final photo of the unit installed in the tank:

Keep in mind, I took far more photos than what's posted here. And, since I only have two hands, I did not take photos of the actual installation process. It was actually installed in two pieces which were bolted (small bolts) and coated with Red-Kote before lowering into place. Although not shown in any of the photos, I did use the large rubber O-ring for sealing the unit head.

Also, there were several trial and error efforts to get it right. The float wire "bends" cannot be given justice with these photos. The tank will probably hold two or more gallons after showing full on the gauge. It will be near empty when the Buzzer goes off!

Due to the very long sweep of the ALH Potentimeter, it was all but impossible to bend the float wire in a manner that accurately reflects both FULL and EMPTY. Actually, I believe due to the Fuel Tank configuration, it would not be possible to bend the float wire in a fashion to show Full without empty being reflected with almost a half tank of fuel. It was a give and take task! Hopefully, it will serve the purpose square in the middle of the Ball Park.......smile!

The Fuel Tank is not ready for the final coat of paint (Truck Bed liner).

Okay, hope this is informative to all who reads!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Update

Update: I don't have the oil pan ready, yet!

I've been re-calculating the space in the Vanagon Cluster housing for customizing to accept the ALH Cluster. The space is there for a good fit. This is going to be a challenge.

As a "borrowed" photo in a previous post refects one example of installing the ALH Cluster, I'll be attempting another method. The fact that the brake master cylinder is located directly behind the cluster, space is limited. My intent is to position the ALH cluster at the extreme back of the Vanagon Cluster housing. That will allow room for the Lexon (plexiglass) cover to fit and appear to be recessed. The other Vanagon switches, etc., on either side of the housing will still be in use.

Hint: The TDI ALH cluster fits exceptionally well on the width measurements, but the front to back thickness is the real challenge (remember the brake master cylinder). Also, the up and down demension is very close.

Photos will document the procedures!

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
nice work Andy!... I sometimes wonder on all these conversions what people will think in the future...maybe even us...one day when I'm older I may happen upon someones conversion tucked away in a back yard with electric cars whizzing past...and say to myself "i remember seein' this one on TDI club" :)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another update: Here are some photos of the Vanagon Cluster Housing and the TDI Cluster.

I've done a lot of measuring and it appears the TDI Cluster will fit inside of the Vanagon Cluster Housing....and recessed! Hopefully these photos will illustrate what I will be attempting to do. (explanations are at the top of the photos)

This photo is an aerial view of a Vanagon Cluster Housing. Notice the two lines from left to right. I will cut the housing along those lines to create an opening approximately 2 inches wide (1 7/8). The TDI cluster (after modification) will fit down in the hole. Of course the center section of the Vanagon Cluster will be cut out. Those lines represent my first consideration as to the positioning of the TDI Cluster. However, after making additional observations of the position of the Brake Master Cylinder, I believe the TDI cluster can be moved back about 5/16 inch or 3/8 inch more, thus giving it a more recessed appearance. (The Vanagon brake master cylinder fits between the two sides of the cluster.)

Another view from the side.........notice where the cuts will be made.

An aerial with the TDI Cluster sitting in front of the Vanagon Cluster Housing

A side view with the TDI Cluster sitting in front of the Vanagon Cluster Housing

This view shows the TDI Cluster in front of the Vanagon Cluster Housing (right side)

This view shows the TDI Cluster in front fo the Vanagon Cluster Housing (left side)

The perspective makes the TDI cluster look larger. However, once the top, bottom and sides are "trimmed" it will fit quite well.

As I progress, I'll edit this Post to include additional photos!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have a Kodak EasyShare DX7630 ($299.00 at Walmart). Although down thru the years we've always taken photos on vacations and such, about 6 years ago, my wife got interested in wildlife and flower photos. I purchased the camera for her.

Well, last year she went big-time (about $2500.00) with two new cameras, lense, etc. So, I ended up with the EasyShare.

Story doesn't end there. We always get out on weekends (in the Vanagon) and do photography. Well, the EasyShare went missing.........for three months, I looked high and low for the camera.....retracing my activities to the point the wife and I had words over my obsession with trying to find the camera.................Then it hit me, go on ebay and see if I can find one.

Low and behold, I found a very nice EasyShare for $57.00 shipped....the works, everything! Well, would you believe the other camera that had gone missing showed up..........in her sewing stuff...LOL.

I use HP PhotoSmart program and PhotoBucket online!......I'm still learning! She uses Picnic on-line and enters contests, posts on FB, doing wildflower cards, etc., getting a tax number soon..........dang!

EDIT: I dumped PhotoBucket long ago ........... it is far better to learn how to use the TDI Club Photo Gallery ! (learn to use it)

Last edited:

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Sewing stuff, that's priceless :). The cluster looks good, I have been thinking about maybe putting a beetle cluster into my Westy. If I do that I'll document it and probably do some type of custom cover/dash assembly (I have a new nb cluster).

We're in the middle of looking/buying a house, so I am not on here as much recently. When life settles down I'll post some more on my thread and update some things.

Jon

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey, my wife is: an excellent cook, loves to sew, likes to garden, cans food, freezes food, etc................ and, loves to travel in the Vanagon!

Yes, Jon, don't forget us..........keep us posted!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is a photo of the Vanagon 1.6 Diesel Oil pan overlayed on the ALH engine oil pan. This info is at the request of rsxsr!

The X indicates ALH and Vanagan oil pan bolt holes that align. The other holes are either obviously for the ALH or the Vanagon oil pan.

The ALH pan is in dark double (inside and outside) markings. I apologize for the shakey hand, but it was very difficult to work thru the ALH oil plug drain hole with a magic marker to get the inside marked. The Vanagon oil pan is the light pencil marking! The oil pan drain plug hole on the Vanagon pan was too low to work from (now, if you believe all that, you'll believe anything I tell you....LOL)

The bottom of the photo is the right side of the engine (you are looking up from the bottom rather down from the top)....... notice the outward arc of the Vanagon oil pan. That's to accommodate the oil pump and "pump drive shaft" for the vacuum pump on the 1.6 engine! The oil pump drive shaft is powered by the intermediate shaft! The ALH engine does not have an intermediate shaft....the vacuum pump is on the end of the head and powered by the Cam. The oil pump for the ALH is powered by a sprocket running off the Crankshaft on the harmonic balancer end of the engine!........also, notice the ALH engine is a little longer!

Hope this works!

Here are some photos of the ALH oil pan bolted to the engine with the Diesel Bell housing on too! All coments are at the top of photos!

This photo just shows the ALH pan, engine block and diesel bell housing mated.

This is a view of the same area as the above photo, just a little farther down. Notice the bell housing bolt hole almost in alignment with the ALH pan oil.

Another view, zoomed out and different angle

Another view

Here is a bottom view.........looking up! Notice how the vent holes are almost 100% aligned. And, the access to the back oil pan bolts line-up perfectly thru the holes

This is a side view looking toward the bottom and back of engine.......notice I did not install the dust cover before putting on the diesel bell housing. You can see the bolt holes for the diesel bell housing and ALH oil pan ....not even close! Of course the bottom of the ALH oil pan will be cut off and modified to fit!

Here is a photo of the Diesel Oil Pan at front of the ALH engine near the corner where the AC pump is located....does not match well at all! It also makes contact with the oil pump sprocket/chain.

This is a photo of the Diesel oil pan next to the Diesel Bell housing. The end actually touches the crankshaft. You can see the two center bolt holes in the ALH block. Those holes actually align with the Diesel oil pan when it is slide to the rear. See diagram at the beginning of this post

I believe it would be easier to modify the front part of the Diesel Oil Pan to fit the ALH engine than try to mod the rear! My plans are to mod the ALH oil pan!

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
yup....looks like the extra pan length is for oil pump chain and sprocket clearance...I had no Idea the 1.6 and the TDI were so close together in the pan configuration, down to nearly all the bolt holes!!...are you thinking of modifying the 1.6 pan rail for the ALH?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, Jimmy, that looks like an oil pan that would work with minor mods!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This update is sort of a continuation of Post #154 CLUSTER Modification

The following photos are of the Vangon Cluster Housing being "cut" to accept the TDI Cluster. Also, the mods and fabrication of the TDI cluster are included. I took far more photos that displayed here.

Note: Any comments will be at the top of each photo!

1. This photo is a bottom and back view of the Vanagon Cluster. It was easier to "mark" the cut line(s) with masking tape.

2. Another view of the bottom of the Vanagon cluster depicting cutting operation........Dremel!

3. Top view from back

4. Bottom side view depicting cut

5. This view shows the notch that is used to slide the TDI cluster in place....see later commets and mod to the TDI Cluster for the notches

6. Center section of Vanagon Cluster......is out

7. TDI cluster, bottom view showing the tabs and protruding lip.........all gets cut off!
Also, you can see it is taped up to keep out dust while working on it.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cluster Modding continued:

8. TDI cluster with support installed on end..

9. Another view of the support looking at the back of the cluster

10. Another view of the support ......... two layers of card board sandwiched with JB Weld

11. TDI Cluster, front view with the supports on each end (they slide down thru the slots on each side of the modified Vanagon cluster frame)

12. Trim for the TDI Cluster to cover any "screw-ups" with the Drimel. This is made
from a black plastic note book binder.

13. TDI cluster with trim in place. I later did more trimming and polishing. It is now glued and drying! Compressed air blew away all dust.

14. TDI cluster just sitting inside the Vanagon modified cluster frame (trim not installed)

15. And, lastly, a Draft of the Lexan only laying in the Vanagon Cluster Housing
I plan to cut a new piece........... this on just doesn't fit to suit me!

As you can see, the TDI Cluster will have depth because it will sit back about an inch from the Lexon. I plan to use black flelt to "tighten" up the fit when the TDI Cluster is placed inside the modified Vanagon Cluster housing...........and, of course, it will all be nice and clean!

The re-set pegs (clock and trip-ometer) on the TDI cluster will rest on the top of the bottom edge of the Vanagon Cluster Housing. The holes in the Lexan for them will be right on the edge.....just another darn challenge!

Damn, this has been more challenging than doing the Fuel Tank and Fuel Level Sensor!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another update:
More photos of the cluster. The following photos are all of the TDI cluster sitting inside the modified Vanagon Cluster Housing.....various angles.

I have to say, the photos do not give the results justice. Everything is more or less just sitting in place. The Lexan (plexi-glass) face is a just a "trial & error" attempt. I have enough Lexan for three more attempts. It is very easy scratched. Of course, the Camera flash really magnifies those scratches and dust!

I've learned that Wal-mart brand "starting fluid" on a paper towel will clean up about anything plastic without damaging it. It worked well removing overflow glue, wiping down the Vanagon Cluster Housing, etc.

I plan to use black contact sponge and black felt (craft stuff) to tidy it up as well as tighten the fit inside the Vanagon Cluster housing.

Last edited:

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Great project. Keep up. Since the tdi long block will protude above the rear floor, you may have to cover the portion of the engine that will be exposed (above the floor surface). The original was air cooled. Since the transplant is water cooled, you will need to cut the front to install grill for radiator and long pipes running from front (radiator) to the back (water pump). As to keeping warm in Alaska, you may install a diesel heater. You may not need ac since Alaska is always cold. Theis a german person by the name Tom (Tomas) in Ontario, CA who has or can supply engine mounting bracket. He imports engines, trans, etc. from Germany.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, I'm much aware that the engine cover deck will have to be raised.....that plan is on back burner right now.

Actually, the project is in an '84 WBXer, so no need to customize the front grille to accomodate a radiator.

Lastly, I live in Southeast Kentucky in the lower 48. However, I do want to take this Vanagon on a road trip to Alaska........hopefully this coming summer when the weather is awesome! Yes, the Vanagon will have AC.

I am working on the engine mounting system now!

EDIT: Little did I know that it would be August, 2012 for the maiden voyage and July, 2014 when we headed north to Alaska.

Last edited:

blackdogvan

TDI
Mtdi Vanagon
Wow that looks really great! When it comes time to test fit it could you post a picture from the drivers perspective? I'm curious of the gauge/steeringwheel sightline, not that the stock vanagon was very great for tall guys to start with. How's the clearance around back for the brake res? For black touchup try a Sharpie marker, you'll be amazed!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Brake fluid reservoir

Wow that looks really great! When it comes time to test fit it could you post a picture from the drivers perspective? I'm curious of the gauge/steeringwheel sightline, not that the stock vanagon was very great for tall guys to start with. How's the clearance around back for the brake res? For black touchup try a Sharpie marker, you'll be amazed!
Yes, there is ample room to clear the brake fluid reservoir, only by about 5/16 inch (9 or 10mm).

The depth of the ALH cluster in the Vanagon housing is only about 3/4 inch! The depth is actually less than the Vanagon Speedometer & Clock were! The top (Coolant Temp and Fuel Level) will be the only concern!

It will be awhile before I attempt to set it in place. And, it actually needs a little more attention to be finished. I do plan to cut another Lexan face!

Thanks for the Sharpie tip!....much appreciated!

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
The 2002 TDI engine with 90 hp and 155 lb-ft torque may be adequate. Was any though given for the current common rail 140hp power plant that comes with a much higher torque?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Choice of TDI engine

The 2002 TDI engine with 90 hp and 155 lb-ft torque may be adequate. Was any though given for the current common rail 140hp power plant that comes with a much higher torque?
This project started as a "shopping" thing for parts, etc. So, being very familiar with the ALH Engine, I ruled out everything else. However, the immobilizer thingy was not anticipated by me. Luckily, I got the ignition part of the wiring harness including the Valet Key.

If the ALH as stock is satisfactory, I suppose a Chip and Tune will be in order!

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Conversions are often tied to the donor vehicle you come across/can afford. Any of the later TDI engines are not the easiest candidates to convert into a Vanagon. The earlier TDI's are able to utilze much more of the stock NA diesel parts i.e. the oil pan, mounts etc. The ALH and later require much more custom fabrication to get a reliable fit. Realize these Vanagons are not being setup for racing, but long distance trips trying to compromise between performance, reliability, and fuel economy. There are plenty of mods available for the ALH engines to twist the cv axles right out of it if that is your intention. Done right, these tdi vanagons are awsome rides. Andy, the cluster is coming along nicely. Remember summer is just around the corner. You need to get that engine at least hung soon to hit your target of a summer road trip. mark

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh, man, Mark don't remind me! I'm pushing as fast as I can! I got the new 'busted' oil pan last week. I hope to have it ready for the welder in the next ten days!

I have been working a few other issues that I have not posted or mentioned...will do later!

I'd love to get it finished in time to do a road trip and be back for the GTG in Lexington, KY Labor Day weekend!.........that would be great!

Jet 02

TDI
2002 Jetta, Vanagon AHU project
ALH Vanagon oil pan

Has anyone considered using the 1.8T hybrid oil pan? The top 2" is aluminum and bolts to the ALH block. The bottom is steel and thus easier to modify than aluminum, unless you are an ace with heliarc or tig. The only problem with the hybrid pan on the ALH is that it needs a bit of work to clear the AC compressor on a Jetta. My '02 Jetta TDI died due to a cracked oil pan. The PO did not know the pan was cracked. To avoid a repeat I used the hybrid pan.
Tom

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hybred oil pan

Has anyone considered using the 1.8T hybrid oil pan? The top 2" is aluminum and bolts to the ALH block. The bottom is steel and thus easier to modify than aluminum, unless you are an ace with heliarc or tig. The only problem with the hybrid pan on the ALH is that it needs a bit of work to clear the AC compressor on a Jetta. My '02 Jetta TDI died due to a cracked oil pan. The PO did not know the pan was cracked. To avoid a repeat I used the hybrid pan.
Tom
Tom, I am not familiar with the hybred oil pan. Yes, it would be easier and less expensive to weld on steel opposed to aluminum.

Actually, the ALH AC compressor, at its OEM location, conflicts with the diesel mounting bars. Those diesel mounting bars are a good design which I plan to use. So, I've come up with means to address the AC compressor's location.

I feel much more confortable about the plans for modifying the ALH oil pan and my new welder.:D

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Hi there Andybees, I just found this pic of my old VW Camper lying around, I wonder if I could've got the tdi in it.:)

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey Seatman, you know we can do it! We TDIers and VW bus/van owners can do just about anything when we set our minds to it!

In the summer of '09, I saw a very neat set-up! A dude had installed a Subie engine in a '74 Bay Bus! He positioned the radiator at the rear engine compartment door. Some how, he had hydraulic lifts that would raise the door when the cooling fan kicked on!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Sounds cool, I sold mine years ago and I expect it's probably a pile of rust dust by now. Saying that though, I am keeping my engine in good nick so when the rest of the car has had it I'll find something else to put it in.:)