Whine in 5th and 6th gear, DSG

mikeygstl

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, *2011 JSW
New JSW - Had an 06 with the DSG, and never heard a peep out of it.

This JSW, I can hear a hollow whine as the transmission spools up 1st through 4th between 1200 and 2k rpm, then when I get into 5th and 6th the 'whine' becomes somewhat erratic - seems to disappear when there is no load, either deceleration or acceleration produces the whine.

Kinda sounds muffled - imagine hearing a shop vac running through a brick wall by holding a plastic cup to the wall and putting your ear to it - I know, kinda odd, but that's the best thing I can think of to replicate it.

Any ideas? Really quite annoying. Of course, I'm also one of those guys that can tell when the bearings are just starting to go out on the neighbors pool pumps...

I also get a rather violent stutter at times when the motor and tranny are cold with a slight bit of accelerator - not sure if the two are related.

PureDope

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
Sure it's not the effect of the summer heat? I'm in az where it's been 110+ a lot lately, and I've noticed the same thing, except it's in every gear, same rpm range as you. Given I do have a tune as well, so it might just be the turbo + dpf complaining. I've also noticed my car pulls much harder in the night time when it's in the 80's. God I can't wait for fall.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
I have the same noise in my DSG. It started after I had about 5000 miles on it, and seems to have gotten worse. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

mikeygstl

TDI
Still there

Why not have the dealer look?
I took mine to the dealer as soon as I noticed it. They claim to not hear it. Seems worse when it is warmer outside.

Most noticeable between 1300 and 1600 RPM.

I am waiting for the weather to warm, and then I am taking it back in. There is definitely something 'off'. I thought it may have to do with the resonance in the fuel line, but I had that fixed and no joy. There was also a TSB about the cowling being loose on the drivers side, and causinga vibrating hum at certain RPM's, but that was not it either.

Anyone else heard anything?

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
Why not have the dealer look?
It is difficult to hear unless you really listen for it, and even then, someone less anal then myself likely wouldn't hear it. I am also a little nervous about the dealer doing that kind of major work on my car!

I probley will be taking it in soon, and try to get a tech to ride along with me to hear it. I wish it was something minor that I could fix myself, but that is likely not the case!

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
It is difficult to hear unless you really listen for it, and even then, someone less anal then myself likely wouldn't hear it. I am also a little nervous about the dealer doing that kind of major work on my car!
If it's under warranty (and it might not still be for all I know) nobody else would fix it.

If it's not under warranty, I understand all attempts at an answer.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
I only have 8k miles on it, so it is still under warranty. I took it into the dealer, and their master tech let me drive him around a bit. Of course, it was a little warmer out that day then usual, and I couldn't reproduce the sound....Now that it is colder, the sound is back again.... It seems to be worse when the weather is colder, and it doesn't happen above 50*F.

I will either have to take it in when it is cold out, and hope I can reproduce the sound and they hear it, or wait until it really gets bad (loud) and take it in then.

Once the 2013's come out that are less gimped, I may just have to trade it in for one with the 6MT.

TQOOOO

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI DSG & 2008 E320 Bluetec
I have exactly same problem with 2014 Jetta.
First noticed at 300km , now at 3000km it is getting worse.

mikeygstl, have you ever find what makes that noise?

mikeygstl

TDI
whine

Honestly, no. I have had two DSG's, and this one is the only one I have heard it in. I am quite irritated with VW at this point, and don't think I will ever purchase another VW or Audi. I have had problems with the panoramic sunroof seal, a taillight, the whine, a rattle under the dash, as well as a new sound from the middle of the dash that sounds like a vacuum leak (isn't everything electronic now?). Oh, and if there are springs of some sort in the drivers seat, they are shot (we have less than 30k miles on the wagon, and I weigh a whopping 165 lbs).

Needless to say, my 2006 was a WHOLE lot better than this POS. Hopefully I can sell it for a diesel Durango here shortly.

Oh, and the fuel mileage has been horrid. In my '06 we would routinely get 42 mpg average. This one I see 31, 32 if we are lucky.

I did finally find tires that smooth out the ride and make it a bit more comfortable and predictable. Pirelli Cinturato P7. I totally recommend them for this car. completely.

Honestly - I think most of my problems could be resolved if I could simply trade this DSG for a manual - which is ironic because I first test drove a manual when I fell back in love with the TDI after my wife having the 06. VW - is there any way I could tak you into a tranny swap for customer satisfaction?!!?!

Did I mention the gear hunting that occurs at around 30 mph. 3-4-3-4-3-4-3-4-3-4-3-.... . yeah, and guess what the speed limit is around where I live....

Last edited:

mikeygstl

TDI
In this day and age, I don't think that continuously hunting for a gear is acceptable. My 69 camaro certainly didn't hunt.

TQOOOO

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI DSG & 2008 E320 Bluetec
So VW told you to put your ear plugs in and enjoy your new car? Did you complain to VWoA?