RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

@n0th3r_b33r

TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
Huge props to LokiWolf for the knowledge and help to a WV newb such as myself.

Thank you sir for you contribution to the community!

Håvard

TDI
Transporter
Hi.

I want to activate video in Motion in my car.
does anyone have a link to iso file that works on the 2014 Transporter?

rns510
HW version H20
SW version 6270
Map version hdd 8048

Thanks, Håvard

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hi.

I want to activate video in Motion in my car.
does anyone have a link to iso file that works on the 2014 Transporter?

rns510
HW version H20
SW version 6270
Map version hdd 8048

Thanks, Håvard
Havard,
You have the European version of the 510. I am not sure the version of the VIM I have will work. I suggest you head over to VWNAVI.com and do a little reading. That site has A-LOT of info on the 510, mostly the Euro versions.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
The VIM file works on all of the RNS-510's if I remember correctly. I read that on the wiki with all of the versions listed I think.

Håvard

TDI
Transporter
Thank you LokiWolf and BarryT82 :)

Can i do something wrong if i try the Vim file?

I will check out vwnavi.com

New site for me:)

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
The VIM file works on all of the RNS-510's if I remember correctly. I read that on the wiki with all of the versions listed I think.

I am not going to say 100%. I know it personally works on all of the North American versions...

steen

TDI
2001, 2002 sedan
v7M aka 8050

Welcome to the party. V7 has been available to purchase for almost a month. Why purchase it when you can download it?
I would very much appreciate a like to the new maps! Cheers M8 and keep up the brilliant work. Steen. Edit: PM sent as well. Cheers

Last edited:

Dimon80

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Finally updated everything.
- VIM installation required reboot, but was flawless otherwise.
- Firmware update was about 50. Although, I did spend a little more time in the car when at the end of install the disc ejected and the message came up that system is rebooting. Instead of rebooting, it just turned off and I was sitting there waiting for it to come back up. Ten minutes later my patience expired and I turned it on. Everything was working and new version installed.
- Map install: Verbatim DVD+R DL burned using Roxio Creator 2012 using 2.4x speed. Installation took about 4 hours total driving. The status bar on 'copying process' went through 4 cycles before giving me the message that install is complete.

Thank you LokiWolf.

arnicolini

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SEL
Thanks to Loki for my last update.

I am currently on FW 4366 and maps 7963.

I got the update DVD in the mail and have a question.

Maps 7963 is V6, and the update DVD is v5.2 and the OP mentions there is some improvements in v5.2 with the way the data is organized.

Is there any benefit going from V6 down to v5.2? Or is V7 better than both?

I don't often even use the navigation as its easier to use a cell phone for short trips where you can use voice commands.

Thanks

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks to Loki for my last update.

I am currently on FW 4366 and maps 7963.

I got the update DVD in the mail and have a question.

Maps 7963 is V6, and the update DVD is v5.2 and the OP mentions there is some improvements in v5.2 with the way the data is organized.

Is there any benefit going from V6 down to v5.2? Or is V7 better than both?

I don't often even use the navigation as its easier to use a cell phone for short trips where you can use voice commands.

Thanks
It is pointless to do 5.2. PM me.

Nuttendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL with Malone 1.5 tune, 2014 535d, 2008 F250 6.4
Need some help

I looked at my unit and see I have 3696 and map version 7994
I complained to the dealer several times and they always said nothing is wrong and no updates were available.

I received the update disc in the mail a while back and thought I was upgrading more than the maps with this disc, now I see why there was no or not much improvement in responsiveness.

I would like to upgrade to the latest/best versions for my 2013, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your guys help.

Last edited:

SingleMalt

TDI
2012 Jetta
Just adding my thanks to LokiWolf as well. I was able to upgrade my RNS510 to both firmware 4366 and maps v8 with no issues at all.

Undoubtedly saved 100's of $$$, even if I was able to find a dealer who would be willing to do it.

The RNS510 seems slightly more responsive than before, and to be honest I was hoping for a much larger improvement. I do understand the limitations of the technology, so oh well. I'll play with it the next couple days and see how it goes.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I have not gotten my hands on a copy of 5374. Supposedly installing it is more involved than previous updates. Once I know more I will update this thread.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Newest maps v10 western europe available ;-)
Thanks. Most of us here are in North America, hence the focus there. If you are looking for the most recent firmware, and fixes for the EU RNS510, I suggest you check out VWNavi.

-Loki

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
HERE, the brand management company for Navteq, has sent me a Cease & Desist order. I will no longer provide links to any of the downloads I have been providing. I have amended the first post in the thread to include the link to where the updates can be purchased.

-Loki

Flipmode

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem
Ok so from the Navteq website it only talks about the maps update, can the SW be updated still with the same disc they send?

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Ok so from the Navteq website it only talks about the maps update, can the SW be updated still with the same disc they send?
No, Navteq only provides the Map updates. Continental via VW are the responsible parties for the Firmware.

alcag

TDI
Skoda Superb 2,0 TDI
Hi !

I just bought a car with RNS-510 / Columbus but the firmware and maps are some years old.
Do you know where I can find the new up-to-date firmware ?
Where can I find maps v10 western europe ?

Regards
Claus

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hi !

I just bought a car with RNS-510 / Columbus but the firmware and maps are some years old.
Do you know where I can find the new up-to-date firmware ?
Where can I find maps v10 western europe ?

Regards
Claus
Claus, check out VWNAVI.com, they will have everything you need for the Euro radios. You will most likely need to purchase the maps, but there are links to the firmware.

-Loki

garypen

TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI
4369 - 2014's come with this. The Unit is a K Unit. There are small hardware changes within the unit, including a different drive controller and an IDE SSD. It is faster than a J Unit, but that is due to the SSD not the Firmware difference. It will ONLY work on a K Unit, as far as known at this point. Nobody has tried, because there is a High likely hood it will brick a J unit or older.
Hi Lokiwolf, I have a Rev J unit with 4369 firmware. Is it possible to upgrade to 5374?
Hmmm. Longhorn's unit seems to contradict Loki's original statement about 4369. So, is it possible to update a "J" unit to 4369, after all?

And, if so, would it matter if it was originally an "E" unit that was upgraded to "J" using firmware 4366? (I have always assumed that E-J units were basically all the same, with the FW being the designating factor.)

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hmmm. Longhorn's unit seems to contradict Loki's original statement about 4369. So, is it possible to update a "J" unit to 4369, after all?

And, if so, would it matter if it was originally an "E" unit that was upgraded to "J" using firmware 4366? (I have always assumed that E-J units were basically all the same, with the FW being the designating factor.)
There are a FEW J units that came with the SSD, and therefore have 4369. Think of 4369 as the new base firmware for the SSD units. Some K units came with the Non-SSD, and therefore have 4366 also. If you have anything less than 4369, you cannot go to 4369. The newest firmware you can to is 4366. It will most likely be the last firmware of that generation. Just like 1140 is the highest the older units can go to.

Yes, there is more criteria than what I mention that determines a J/K, but it was the easiest explanation, and settles it for what appears to be 95% of the units.

I hope that clears it up.

Last edited:

garypen

TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI
As clear as an azure sky of deepest summer.

Thanks!

I assume we can still upgrade the maps, regardless of FW or HW designation?

waqasbhutta

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
links

hi i have passat 2013 tdi highline, i would appreciate if any kind soul pm me the link to firmware and v7 maps for my passat. thank you kindly.

desantii

TDI
Passat
How can I check what HW version I have(says H21)?

Also how to check if I have HDD vs SSD?

this is from a 2014 TDI SEL

thanks

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
How can I check what HW version I have(says H21)?

Also how to check if I have HDD vs SSD?

this is from a 2014 TDI SEL

thanks
Press and hold the setup button until you see an option for Device Info.

Post your Firmware and Map Version.

Status
Not open for further replies.