What do I do with my old camshaft? Scrap it?

grantstory

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
What do I do with my old camshaft after a swap? Scrap it? A few of the lobes have sharp corners, one has a gouge. Is there someone out there looking for these?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Try to find out who has manufactured it. The camshaft has got some letters/numbers stamped on it. Find them, take some photos, post them here :)

skeith5

TDI
2006 Jetta
I was thinking about having a machine shop drill a hole down the center and turning it into a lamp...

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
It might be worth $100 as a core. I Franko6 takes PD cams and has them reground if they meet a certain criteria.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Let me see now...

Junk in your car and replaced. Scrap has value but I'm not sure the several pounds it weighs would make it worth the trip.

Sometimes junk is junk.

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
Shipping for Frank via USPS is ~$9, or VIA UPS is ~$17. With a $100 value and netting over $80 vs throwing in a steel recycle bin; I'll take the free money thank you very much.

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
Shipping for Frank via USPS is ~$9, or VIA UPS is ~$17. With a $100 value and netting over $80 vs throwing in a steel recycle bin; I'll take the free money thank you very much.
Is he currently buying them? Something to consider with a cam DIY on my mind.

ctnatureboy

Veteran Member
TDI
mk7 Golf R 6MT
I spoke with Frank personally a couple weeks ago and he told me that he's always accepting core prospects and that it doesn't matter if you've purchased a cam from him or not. As it was explained to me; He holds the cam cores until he gets enough to make a run (~10 pcs) and then sends them out for processing. When I sent my cam in just that couple weeks ago he actually held his shipping lot to get mine in the run. I'd just PM or call him. Contact info at his shop can be found online by searching "Frank's VW TDI's, LLC".