VAG COM driver for 409.1 USB

yuz1954

TDI
Passt 2002 TDI 130 BHP Estate
Just received a cable from e-bay but the CD-ROM with drivers was damaged in the post. Does anyone know where I can download the drivers for USB cable using 409.1? Cheers, Ian :eek:

Sebastian

Vendor
Contact the vendor/seller of your 3rd party hardware, there is no generic driver - each interface vendor uses mostly own stuff and the 3rd party hardware driver is not specific for VAG-COM, it's a COM<>USB driver.

yuz1954

TDI
Thanks Sebastian, I've asked for a replacement CD-ROM, but was impatient to have fun with the new toy...! Cheers, Ian :) :)

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
usb drivers

I bought a cheapo usb connector which uses the ftdi uart chip. They seem to be quite popular. Generic drivers available here...
http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

To be sure however you need to open the connector and look for the square 64pin chip. You may need a manifying lens though to see what type it is!

Once you have verified the cable works you can purchase the license. At £50 it's a bargain given what a dealer would charge just to hook your car up.

yuz1954

TDI
USB driver

Hi Lee, Thanks for your helpful comments. The vendor had e-mailed me directing me to the FTDI website to download the drivers - you were correct! I had opened the dongle and the chip is an FTDI 232BL. I run XP, so downloaded the driver 2.00.00 However, I still can't get it to run: Having plugged in the cable, On the VAG-COM options menu, selecting USB and "Test" returns

Port status: OK
Interface: Not Found!

If I unplug the cable from the USB port, then the report says "Ross-Tech Interface Not Found!" So, this seems to suggest something is working OK. Also, in the "Add or Remove Programs" facility, the "FTDI USB Serial Converter Drivers" is listed, so this looks encouraging....

I've discovered that if I select COM3 and then press Test, the window says:

Port Status: OK
Interface: Found!
Type: Serial Pass-Through
Opto/ISo: No
Ross-Design: No

However, the above happens even if the cable is unplugged...

With the dongle plugged in (the led lights up) and turning on the ignition to the first setting, clicking on the OBD-II returns "Interface Not Found!"

As I mentioned, the CD-ROM was cracked when delivered - although no sign of any damage to the Jiffybag or to the cable and dongle...

Would be very grateful for any suggestions.... Cheers, Ian

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
yuz1954 said:
........Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,but those generic USB Com Port cables tend to be problematic.I bought one on E Bay,and I could not make it work and believe me, I tried everything.The seller would not refund my money until I filed a PayPal complaint.
I ended up buying a Ross Tech Vag-Com cable and it has paid for itself many times over....

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
yuz1954 said:
Hi Lee, Thanks for your helpful comments. The vendor had e-mailed me directing me to the FTDI website to download the drivers - you were correct! I had opened the dongle and the chip is an FTDI 232BL. I run XP, so downloaded the driver 2.00.00 However, I still can't get it to run: Having plugged in the cable, On the VAG-COM options menu, selecting USB and "Test" returns

Port status: OK
Interface: Not Found!

If I unplug the cable from the USB port, then the report says "Ross-Tech Interface Not Found!" So, this seems to suggest something is working OK. Also, in the "Add or Remove Programs" facility, the "FTDI USB Serial Converter Drivers" is listed, so this looks encouraging....

I've discovered that if I select COM3 and then press Test, the window says:

Port Status: OK
Interface: Found!
Type: Serial Pass-Through
Opto/ISo: No
Ross-Design: No

However, the above happens even if the cable is unplugged...

With the dongle plugged in (the led lights up) and turning on the ignition to the first setting, clicking on the OBD-II returns "Interface Not Found!"

As I mentioned, the CD-ROM was cracked when delivered - although no sign of any damage to the Jiffybag or to the cable and dongle...

Ian,

mine did exactly the same. What you need to do is plug in the cable to your laptop. Now go into control panel open up or navigate to system/hardware/device manager/ports.

It will probably say USB serial port (COM3 or somesuch) open up it by double clicking, go to the port settings tab and click on advanced. This will allow you to set the com port to Com1 The cable should now connect to the car.

If the cable is unplugged from the car and you try to find it with VAG-COM it "finds" it at COM3 but it wont work. Try the above then connect to the car and test it at COM1 and it should work. It's a lot of buggering about but it should go. Try to ensure you use the same usb socket each time.

Once you know it works it is time to buy the registered version, it's well worth the expense. I have to say their cable is a lot less aggro. I have been looking at the screenshots of the next version of VAG-COM which Uwe has posted. I may have to shell out for one because it looks really pukka. Though I may get it shipped to friends in the US as I resent paying that Scottish oaf at the treasury all my hard earned cash!

Let me know how you get on.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
I have been looking at the screenshots of the next version of VAG-COM which Uwe has posted. I may have to shell out for one because it looks really pukka.
Just to avoid any possible disappointment, I want you to be aware of the following item in the Release Notes on the Beta Page:

"Screen-shots presented on this page were taken on a PC running Windows Vista.
The exact appearance of the screens will vary based on the version of Windows being used
and the Theme selected in Windows."

-Uwe-

yuz1954

TDI
USB Drivers

Hi Lee,

Again, thank you for your kind help. I've now persuaded the beast to work and it was exactly as you said. I decided to call FTDI this afternoon and the guy there was massively helpful if walking me through the changes. He also advised another couple: In the "Advanced settings for [COM 1 (or other port that is selected)], under:

USB Transfer Sizes, change "Receive (Bytes)" to 64

BM Options, change "Latency Timer (msec)" to 3

As you say, I now need to register the software for $99 - I assume this will active more functions? Will this then operate as the KEY-USB product from Ross-Tech selling for $249, or does the KEY-USB from Ross-Tech perform other functions in addition?

Thanks again for your time and patience - this site is a great concept!

kind regards

Ian :) :)

VW Passat 2002 TDI 130 estate