AKE back from Dyno...down on power - anyone know some stock stats?

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Hey all,

Finally got my AKE on the Dyno (can post pics/vid) and it made 176 bhp @ 3800 rpm and 377 nm torque.

Since I've had the car I've needed to sort a few things like boost leaks, new MAF and that's got me to this point where I felt it was running well.

The car has a tune and a hybrid turbo and precat knocked out (next 2 when it's warm/dry enough to cut out and weld the pipes) - where I'm left scratching my head is I was hoping for closer to 200bhp.

The run was very clean with very little smoke so my finger is pointing at fuelling - but before I can get into VCDS to see what's up I was wondering does anyone know the stock fuel injected figure and boost?

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Measuring blocks 03,08 and 11, straight run of road, step on it from 2000 rpms to 4000 rpms in 5th gear if it’s safe to do so then put up the csv file... the car is definitely mapped but it never responded that well compared to other AKE’s I’ve had. This one was in my possession for little time hence never opening it to the maximum ! The turbo is a gt20 with Volvo gtb2056vl internals so it can flow enough for 250Bhp...get some race 683 nozzles, they are back on sale ! Should make good power with nozzle upgrade !

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Cheers Chris - hopefully can get logs this weekend/if not sooner.

The thing is the car and map is smooth as you mentioned.
I just want to work out where the bottle neck is so I can be confident nozzle change will work as planned, this probably also comes from me always trying to fully understand things because other then being a bit down on power it's a great car.

On The race nozzles do you get them from dp-race.com?

Also what's a reasonable price to get injectors set up and balanced? -

Edit spoke to a few shops earlier - Diesel Bob will set these up for me, other shop got very funny about fitting customer parts thought could/would not offer any options.

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Race 683 nozzles will not work on the AKE injectors. You will need good AFB injectors and a small mod/rewiring is needed on the needle lift sensor. I would not bother with dieselbob setting the injectors, i had mixed results from him setting nozzles. I had better results setting the injectors myself with no jssues whatsoever...

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Nozzles are avaiilable on ebay from santerchips... Portugal. Fast shipping and serious...

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Ahh damn - I have my spare AKE engine and nozzles I was going to use for set up.
I'll source some AFB injectors - ebay prices on these in general are a bit nuts, any change you know the part numbers as I see some listing saying AKE/AFB/AKN which won't help...

Also how did you set the second stage yourself? I know of someone who makes locking blocks for this and he has shared the plans but does not sell them.

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
I think new series race nozzles are upgraded for newer type of injectors. Before ordering AFB injectors check it out to be sure. Now they have needle same level as the nozzle deck.
Second stage is not adjusted on these, since no need for that.

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
Hrmm on the pop pressures what ideal? Looking at older threads seeing 260-280 bar?

So are these Nozzles single stage?

Also I asked Santerchips who replied they are made to fit "150 and 180 hp" so will follow up and ask if these are a newer design but unsure on the response I'll get.

I could really use an ebay 20% off code again soon! Got one before new years and maxed it on some other car related equipment....

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
No single stage, but only first one is adjusted. Second one adjusts with it. 280bar to get better fuel and tad better control over the fueling on idle.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
I think new series race nozzles are upgraded for newer type of injectors. Before ordering AFB injectors check it out to be sure. Now they have needle same level as the nozzle deck.
Second stage is not adjusted on these, since no need for that.
That would be good news if it’s true ! I would still upgrade to AFB injectors just because the needle lift sensor (injector with wire) is a lot more reliable on these... I have replaced many AKE, BDG, BDH, BFC injectors just because of this one fault ! I have not had to replace one needle lift sensor on any AFB as yet...
Layerz, if you need a set of AFB injectors I have a low mileage set in my van somewhere...they might be even fitted with race 683 nozzles but I cannot be sure before I take one apart...I had a few sets however one of my vans got nicked a few months ago and was full of valuable stuff including a fully ported BDG engine with brand new cyl heads and injectors + gtb2260vk turbo, full Sachs SRE clutch, etc... it’s sad as I think the lot got scrapped for peanuts- I have put so much hard work in that engine...was saving it for something special !

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Don’t bother setting pop pressures, just take nozzles off and replace. That’s it ! Keep everything clean and make sure you clean the crud off the locking nut/unions and have good spanners too !

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
I would also scan the engine’s ecu before hand to make sure there are no codes first...you could start by simplifying the vacuum layout and disconnect the EGR valve and anti shudder valve off the circuit- I had a few with low power issue due to that sucker !

Layerz

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 2.5 TDI AKE
THE EGR's gone - the anti shudder valve I think is disconnected - will double check as prior to learning the MAF was a on it's way out I had all the intake pipe's off to track down some failed/failing clamps.
I might be able to get the logs tonight and will grab any codes, though not getting any EML lights showing.

Princy

TDI
A4 2.5tdi cabriolet
Layerz, if you need a set of AFB injectors I have a low mileage set in my van somewhere...they might be even fitted with race 683 nozzles but I cannot be sure before I take one apart...I had a few sets however one of my vans got nicked a few months ago and was full of valuable stuff including a fully ported BDG engine with brand new cyl heads and injectors + gtb2260vk turbo, full Sachs SRE clutch, etc... it’s sad as I think the lot got scrapped for peanuts- I have put so much hard work in that engine...was saving it for something special !
Well that sounds like plain old karma to me Chris......

Layerz, if adamss24 does try selling you any parts, make sure it's cash on delivery from him as he's had a £500 deposit off me for promised work, once the money hit his bank he's refused to answer calls, texts or pm's with no parts or refund. Make sure the parts are in your hands before you part with your hard earned cash!!!

Last edited: