Particulate filter cleaning

Strong Roots

TDI
2011 jetta wagon
Hey Guys,
A real newbie here. I just bought my first diesel car 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
110,000 miles. So my issue - The filter light came on I watched you tube
I bought Liquid- Molly Cleaner ad Purge. I took off the top sensor (top back of engine) sprayed downward the ground to keep liquid out of engine. The car is off and cool at this time. I waited 15min then repeated with the purge fluid. After the 15min my car will not start. I get one turn over and the car stops.

I have let it sit over night still won't tart today. Can anyone help with this. Did i spray wrong way? got fluid some where its not suppose to be. Is all the fluid in the exhaust telling a sensor not to start?

Thanks in advance from the Newbie

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Start with taking the glow plugs out, it is likely you hydrolocked the engine. Hopefully no rods bent.

Get something to suck the liquid from the cylinder(s), then crank the engine over by hand with the plugs out, then with the starter. Do not rotate the engine backwards.

Then put the plugs back in, and try to start it. It'll smoke like crazy, try and run it at about 2000 RPM for a few minutes, then run it to 2500 for a few more minutes. Hopefully you did not ruin the DPF or catalyst. You may have.

Next time, read the manual instead of watching youtube. If the DPF light comes on, you are supposed to drive the car down the highway for a while, to try and let it do a regen. If it fails, you'll need to replace the DPF.

Strong Roots

TDI
2011 jetta wagon
Thanks I will do that tomorrow.
The DPF light turns off after driving then the next day it comes back on. Is there a way to test to see if I need a new filter? I figured just clean it out and it would work for awhile.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
Why didnt you take it to be fixed under the 120k mile emissions warranty extension? If you car was sold and licenced in California you had to have the 'fix' done, therefore you should be covered. Probably would have had it replaced for free.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Being a newbie, you may not have been aware of the extended emissions warranty that should take care of this type of issue at your local VW dealer, regardless of where you bought the car (as long as the "fix" was performed).

I would say not a word about what you've just done, drive up to the local VW dealer and let them deal with it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Being a newbie, you may not have been aware of the extended emissions warranty that should take care of this type of issue at your local VW dealer, regardless of where you bought the car (as long as the "fix" was performed).

I would say not a word about what you've just done, drive up to the local VW dealer and let them deal with it.
engine wont turn over, how is he going to drive it over there? flinstone mobile?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
His second post said the DPF light turns off after driving, then comes back the next day. I must've assumed it runs now; after re-reading his two posts today, it appears the second post was background for the first. My bad.

OP: A $100 tow might be worth it.

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Jetta Sedan GLS/TDI 5mt
Soooo.... I'm not super-familiar with this family of TDI, but I do know if you have a full DPF and then soak the soot, it doesn't want to flow very well. If you really did spray into the exhaust, and to where it went away from the engine and not towards, this could possibly be the case. A fully restricted DPF can result in an engine only cranking slightly then struggling or stopping.
I'd still start with glow plug removal.

Any update?