What if.. the "repair" is a new engine?

patbob

Veteran Member
TDI
was a 2013 Jetta TDI
I've been thinking about what the possible repair might actually be. They can't make the engines comply with only some extra bits somewhere in the exhaust, bits that don't require pulling the engine, or that would be the solution and there would be no buyback. I suspect that they probably can't even make these engines comply -- a buyback is so extreme, that if they could make them comply, then they wouldn't be forced to do a buyback in addition to compensating buyers with the payout.

So, I suspect that whatever the solution will be, it will involve pulling the engine. I can't see them paying to have dealers pull engines of unknown condition and doing a bunch of hours of work to bring them into compliance. Besides, if reports are true, they already have a compliant engine all worked out and, most importantly, through emissions testing -- the same one they put in all those 2016s they can't sell.

So here's my what if.. what if, the way they decide to bring cars into compliance, is to put 2016 crate engines in them. That, and add a few extra bits and baubles like DEF tanks. I can see that being work a dealership could do without costing VW tons of money. Would a remedy like that affect anybody's decision on whether they want to opt for the buyback vs. the repair?

Anybody have any insight into VW operations? Are they cranking out diesel engines like they're going out of style?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Nope...would be cheaper for them to buy them back, crush the car and give you the $$.
Reality is they just have to get "close enough" on the TEST CAR....if the fix is approved, then they install it in other cars....they are NOT individually tested...the plan is already to just get to a point they are good enough, then do offsets to reduce pollution in other areas to nullify the fact the fix is not quite up to the rules....
One more thing to consider....the transmissions have different gear ratios to match the different tq bands on the new motors...so the ENTIRE DRIVETRAIN would need to be swapped.....
So perhaps your idea is an interesting possibility, but I would consider it to be on the outlandish side and so unlikely that it would be a fantasy to consider a reL possibility unless intoxicated or smoking something you bought in Colorado....
Hey...I just call them as I see them...dropping a new drivetrain in a car vw can FORCE a buyback for less would seem to be a no-starter...
And the 2016 motors are the same as the 2015....the ea-288....they were decertified and would need the fix just like the 2015 cars....so think the logic is kinda flawed....

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Nope...would be cheaper for them to buy them back, crush the car and give you the $$.<snip>
I agree with this. I don't think such a move as installing a new drivetrain (and, obviously, a DEF system, etc.) could possibly be cost-effective.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
.....They can't make the engines comply with only some extra bits somewhere in the exhaust, bits that don't require pulling the engine, .....

This is not obvious. (likely is not true at all)

it seems they have fixes in mind for all the cars, and are working through final approval.

the reason there is a buyback, is that EPA/CARB pushed them for it, considering both the cheat, and the years of claiming clean diesel.. even qualified/pushed for tax credits for the cars under the guise of clean and efficient diesels.

expect the buyback to be a choice, one you can wait to make until seeing what the impact of the fix is to your particular model car.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Keep in mind that, at least for the Gen1 cars, the fix only has to reduce emissions enough to comply with negotiated, relaxed standard. The fixed cars don't have to comply with the letter of the law.

Since the OP discusses adding a DEF tank, I assume he's talking about Gen 1 cars.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The general description of the proposed fixes is all spelled out in the consent decree. No new engines. It's ALL explained in there. Only thing remaining is for VW to prove it works.