Stalling with a manual transmission

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
With older tdi you could idle off in first gear even up a hill. The hill assit hold doesn't release until x time has passed or if the fuel pedal is used. So I time my brake release early so the hill assist will release right when I idle off in first.

gmeyerga

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
stalling

I drove a new Peugeot 308 Diesel for a couple of months.
I did not stall once. That engine was incredibly smooth.
But even after 65K miles I still occasionally stall my 2011 Golf TDI
because I'm loath to shift into first while in motion.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's not the DMF: my '02 had a DMF (until it failed after 200K) and was impossible to stall. The hill hold can be a problem if you jump the gun getting moving. I do find it's good to let it come off before starting out.

But I think the big reason is emissions. These cars are tuned to give very little fuel off idle, making them easier to stall. And I think the non-Urea setup that's in the Jetta and Golf makes it worse. I think it also makes more noticeable the hesitation that people report starting out with the DSG transmissioned cars. The Passat with Urea doesn't exhibit the same driveability issues as a Jetta with a DSG.

And I think the heavier versions of the MKVI cars are tuned differently than the lighter ones, making them harder to drive without stalling. btcost here and I got our '12s at the same time, and he's reported that my 2 door Golf with no options is easier to drive than his Sportwagen. I think the JSW has to be tuned differently because it's 300 lbs. heavier. I also think this is why a tune helps. It adds fuel.

I have yet to stall my Golf.

Rotarei

TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDi Sportwagen
Drive like a teen, not a grandfather.

Got my 2013 VW Jetta TDi Sportwagen almost 2 months ago. Never loved a car this much before. Have stalled it quite a few times. It's usually because I try and drive it as smoothly as possible and as easy on the clutch as possible. I do Lyft and Uber frequently, and most of my passengers can't even tell it's a stick. I pride myself on being a "driver", a "car guy", and an almost 20 year Master Mechanic veteran. So it does hit the ego a bit. Like 5 minutes ago at a red light, blasting Soundmurderer- Wired For Sound like a hoodlum, then promptly stalling when the light switched green. Embarrassing! Sometimes I even stall out going into 2nd at too low speed (parking lots) or decreasing too much speed while in 2nd gear. Guess I'm just used to my old Civics, could idle 450-500 rpm or so in gear without stalling. Anyway, this thread helped. I'll just be more aggressive and stop worrying about babying the clutch. Aka I'll start driving like I've got a pair.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
I had to remove that annoying hillhold BS. You can with the vcds. Otherwise these clutches are pretty forgiving compared to some of my other cars I had with more cyl.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk