mk5 how to remove glow plug harness

squeedle

TDI
'09 VW Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG)
I have watched a couple videos on YT and read thru the glow plug 101 post, but I still can't seem to get the plastic clip off of my glow plug so that I can then unscrew the glow plug itself. The earlier cars (MK4?) seem to have a soft rubbery piece that pops off. Mine (MK5) has a hard plastic piece that I am not sure how to remove. I don't want to break something yanking this off. Tips? Vids? Pics?

squeedle

TDI
This guy has some customized flathead screwdriver that he just "sticks all the way down" and the rest is "elementary"...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaSLi9d_jU4

I don't have a magic screwdriver, and I can't get this piece off using a pick or anything else so far. How does it actually attach to the glow plug? Is there a catch?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Just pull each boot.

Now, depending on how old is that harness it will self-destroy as soon as you touch it. Good to have a spare on hand and be ready to splice some wires.

squeedle

TDI
Thanks, finally had to just take it in and mechanic charged for 90 minutes labor to replace one plug. Seems totally unreasonable to me. Should have taken, what, 15 minutes? If another one goes out, I'll just try yanking on this thing.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
90 minutes?!? I can probably splice a new harness in that time frame.

This is not rocket science, same as a spark plug or even easier. If the harness does come apart it is not the end of the world, as long as the ends are connected the plugs will function.
Also, this IS the time of the year to find out if you actually need that harness changed, harness is not expensive and not difficult to splice a new one in.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Some writeups say to yank on it, but this will destroy the harness of it became dried out and brittle. The screwdriver method mentioned earlier is the safer bet, you can sometimes find a screw driver like that at Hazard Freight.

1.9TDI60MPG

TDI
2006 1.9 TDI
Just drive the car for a mile or two so it can get warm the plastic is then relatively softer, it makes a huge difference and the wires are happier too

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
OP, Are you talking about a common rail glow plug (2009)?