Midwest diesel fuel prices.........

Keyser_Soze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS 2005 Blue Graphite w/ Beige Leather
Can someone tell me why diesel is $3.27/ gal in Chicago suburbs and regular unleaded is $2.67/ gal ? Is it this expensive everywhere or are we just getting reamed in Illinois ? Why is gas so much cheaper?

keypecker

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW traded off 2005 Passat sedan 2.0 TDI
$2.90 unleaded, $3.00 diesel ( some still at $3.27 for diesel) in SW florida

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
I have a station by me that is 3.26 diesel and 2.39 regular. Home heating season is upon us.

Kevinski

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, GLS
Yes, they use the home heating oil excuse, BUT, it has been high, even before the heating season. It really ticks me off. It is cheaper to produce, yet it is higher in price. Yes I know, supply and demand, China buying up as much as they can, etc. But, still I think it is us getting the shaft, bottom line!

I am suprized the truckers are not complaining more than they are. How do the indy's make a living? Probably by passing the cost on to you and me.

Don't forget the upcharge for cold weather blending. I have not seen that yet, but it is coming. They add kero to the fuel, we get less fuel, less mileage, and then they charge us more for it. Gotta love it.

I guess it boils down to this: can't really do much about it except cut back on consumption. They got us by the short hairs and they know it. There, I feel better now. Kevin

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
In Chicago you get boinked by Cook County and Chicago City taxes on the fuel + Illinois State gets sales tax as well.

No sales taxes on Fuel in Iowa at all. There is absolutely no reason in the world Diesel shold be this high in price.
Diesel historically has never been as high as unleaded gas and historically it has always ben about .20 per gallon cheaper at least here in Illinois.

Just about one week before Houston got slammed with their Hurricane, I loaded up on diesel. I bought 1000 gallons of BP Premier "on road" and I had it blended with 20% Bio (Soy) for a blend of B20. I even had the driver dump my bottles of Power Service into the tank. I paid $2.855 per gallon. I do not know where the market is going, but at least I can somewhat Hedge myself now that I have storage.

CB

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Black
OH NO! not the cook county tax acessor.

Sounds like a movie.

CB&Stoker

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
This past weekend I drove from Michigan to Kentucky and back. I also saw prices in Indiana and Ohio. Each state had diesel at 20 to 40 cents higher than regular gas.

Is gas being "subsidized" somehow?

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
Probably somebody wants to show everyone there is no advantage in diesel powered cars... This looks like a real speculation - I'm wondering why truckers are still so calm (I would expect road blockages if this keeps going like this)

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Because truckers can pass the difference on to consumers in the form of fuel surcharges. You and I can't.

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
Some independent truckers have contracts that pay millage plus fuel and some are stuck in contracts they bid on. Some guys have been caught in these per mile or per load/bushel/pound contracts and forced to park their rigs in order to get out of their contracts. They can't drive or they would be sued for breach of contract. Not very many of them but that's like saying their aren't many whom get killed on the road. All fine talk unless you're one of them.

Whenever you start feeling sorry for yourself you can always find someone with problems which make yours pale in comparison.

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
Fact is the world demand for diesel is up due to commercial expansion adding more trucking and rail around the world. The supply side is lagging behind and then comes Our LOCAL refinery problems. So any one using diesel or heating oil will pay the price. Hopefully short term for road fuel but heating oil is something I personally see declining in popularity over the next ten years. Being replaced by domestic sources of energy. btw we import just short of 50% of our oil into this country. At the present price of oil we don't have any rational reason to import oil into this country for home heating fuel. but it will take a few years to convert infrastructure.

I did see a big windmill South-East of Jacksonville, IL last week. Beautiful thing to see. Some think we can get seven percent of our energy from wind.

We'll have this sorted out in about fifteen years.

DrStink

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL - Platinum Grey
OH NO! not the cook county tax acessor.

Sounds like a movie.
Are we puttin' the band back together?

Dry white toast?

Illinois nazis?

Carrie Fisher with a bazooka is hot.

Man. Now I gotta go rent it...

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
$3.139 to $3.399 in East Central IL (Danville area at least) for D2. Even premium gas is 60 cents less, let alone regular gas.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Now you know the reason I either get fuel in Bensenville or Elmhurst. I won't to buy fuel in Cook county.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Me? Last time I bought fuel in the Chicago area, it was at the Flying J in Gary. Illinois fuel taxes are absurd, and I make sure I can make it at least to Lake Station without refueling if I go that way.

DrStink

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL - Platinum Grey
I did see a big windmill South-East of Jacksonville, IL last week. Beautiful thing to see. Some think we can get seven percent of our energy from wind.
Next year the construction will start on what will be the largest wind power project in the nation - right here in McLean County where I live.
http://powermarketers.netcontentinc.net/...A%40%24bfek%5C!

Is it within 20 miles of a coastline, coastline, military base, national park or other highly scenic area?

In May, Senator Alexander (R-TN) and Senator Warner (R-VA) cosponsored a bill that would disallow wind energy credits for any windfarm within 20 miles of those structures. Their bill would also allow a neighboring state to veto any wind project proposed within 20 miles of that state's border.

Ironically, they called it the "Environmentally Responsible Wind Power Act of 2005" - Orwell himself would be doubleplus proud.

rgardner

I was in the Texas panhandle today and diesel hit $3.54! One dollar a gallon more that gasoline! Something is wrong! Very wrong! I think it is time to begin a letter writing campaign to our senators and representatives! One thing I can tell you for sure is that the agricultural economy cannot stand these high fuel prices! Get ready for much, much higher food prices in the future if something doesn't give!

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
And the Kennedy's are trying to stop a project of shore of their playground.

Seams like progress is usually made in spite of politicians and special interest. Not with their help.

The property owners of the "protected" lands will be denied the right to earn money from their resources. Unless they make a nice campaign fund contribution!

Is this off topic for this thread? Well if you-all are looking for break in energy prices we won't get it buy importing more oil. We now have competition bidding for that fuel.

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
One dollar a gallon more that gasoline! Something is wrong! Very wrong!
$1.00 spread is closing in on FUBAR.

However someone up the thread here explained it quite well. We can buy refined gasoline on the world market because it is available. diesel is short at this moment. The storms picked a bad time to hit us.

South Korea is building a huge refinery to produce diesel. Then they plan on building another right after they finish the first one.

China signed a contract a few weeks ago with a Canadian firm to help start coal gasification plants.

We here in the USA need to quit whining and start working on solutions.

Then perhaps I could get a job and you all would be spared my rants

One of my cousins is in Russia working on a refinery

lcornice

TDI
2009 Jetta 6spd
I wish there was a .20-.40 gap in Minnesota. Gas went down yesterday to 2.27 but diesel was still 3.29.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
yeah, I looked today on the way to work and it is $0.60 higher here in Michigan now!

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
On my way into work this morning at the same SA station.

Unleaded 2.399
Diesel 3.499

Why?

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
I did my part today; I rode the bus/train in to work. It isn't the most convenient, and it takes about 45 minutes longer to get to work, and about 30 minutes longer to get home. However, I'm sure the Jetta didn't mind the day off, and it was nice to read about the AL champion White Sox on the way in.

Even if I only lessened the demand for diesel by some infinitely small amount, it made me feel better.

Another positive thing I accomplished, was increase the ridership on the Pace/CTA. Hopefully with more riders, they will be able to leave the fares at the current rate.

If the rates go up,
the attraction of mass transit goes down,
ridership goes down,
vehicle traffic goes up,
fuel consumption goes up,
demand for oil goes up,
prices go up,
complaining on internet forums goes up.