Will the Cops Do Anything When You Report Aggressive/Reckless Driving?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
If you see someone driving extremely recklessly and report their tag number to the police, will the police contact them? I imagine the answer can vary, based on jurisdiction, but I was wondering, because Friday I reported another driver after he swerved into my lane, almost hitting me, and would have if I did not swerve out of his way.

Sorry to be long winded about this, but this really shook me up.

I was in the right lane on a divided parkway and changed lanes to pass a slower moving vehicle and I was preparing to merge into the right lane again. There was a merging entrance ramp to my left and two cars were coming down the ramp. The both cars were infront of me and in the ramp lane and supposed to yield as I passed. The first car slowed to do so, but the second car, right when the front of my car was abreast of the middle of the passenger door, swerved fully into my lane to pass the car that slowed for me! Since I always am on gaurd for this crap, I noticed what he did and swerved to the right as quickly as I could, halfway expecting either a collision, or to loose control of the Jetta. My front fender came within about six inches from hitting his car and he ended up fully in my lane, even though I honked as I swerved. I must have also jabbed the brakes and after he was in my lane I swerved back from the right lane into the left, about a foot behind his bumper. Amazingly, the Jetta handled exceptionally well. No loss of control whatsoever and I had the self control to keep from flying off the right side of the road.

After this happened, the other driver just took off as fast as he could and I followed him, since I was so pi$$ed I could have killed him. Now I see how road rage can happen. The speed limit was 40 MPH and I briefly glanced at my speedo and I was going a little over 100:eek: . About a quarter of a mile up, this fu*ker got pinned behind traffic and I cut right in behind him. I wrote his plate number on my hand and at that time, there was another left merge lane and this driver swerved out of the left lane, drove up the merge lane and cut in serveral cars up. I am not sure if he was in a big hurry, or trying to get away from me. Since I had his plate number I did not try to follow him.

This was a small SAAB, the one that looks similar to the A4 Jetta. His tag number ended in "FD" which indicates it is a fire department person.

About 15 minutes later I called the police and reorted the incident and the operator asked for my name and phone number and simply said "We will look for him".

Does the police take these reports seriously?

--Nate

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Here you're supposed to be able to report drunk and have them detained on the road. But, as you said, jurisdictions vary in the concern displayed by the local constabulary.

You are lucky not to have been tagged with bent sheet metal or worse. Good reactions helped you a great deal and may have saved your life.

B.L.T

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 A4 Jetta tdi
wakdady said:
what if someone was following you recklessly doing 100mph and called the cops on you?
You would be just as mad as the op if someone nearly sideswiped your jetta.

I would of done the same as the op. Followed that bastard down and got his license plate. Hell if we got stuck in traffic id probably get out of my car and ask the guy what the hell he was doing. Some people just dont have common sense these days.

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
NFSTDI said:
Can you say anger management therapy?
Seriously. If no damage was done, let it go. It's not worth the danger you put yourself in when you chase someone down or get out to yell at them. Two wrongs don't make you right.

And to the OP, this isn't the first time you've posted about your anger at other drivers and what has happened as a result. Chill out!

--Andy

talltacoma

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Sedan Manual
Nate,
Yes, citizen reports are taken seriously. Many impaired drivers have been reported by concerned motorists and taken off the road. Don't ever hesitate to report reckless driving. Things to keep in mind:

1. You are able to sign a traffic complaint/citation as an officer would. If the driver contests your complaint, you will have to testify in court.

2. If you are unwilling to sign the complaint/citation, the officer must develope his own reason to stop the vehicle.

3. In the event you report a reckless/careless driver, be able to provide the license plate, vehicle make/model/color and attempt to identify the driver, i.e. a white male with brown hair and wearing a blue baseball cap. It's ok if you can't ID the driver.

4. Finally, an officer may not be in proximity and unable to assist. However, officers can't help if they dont know. Again, never hesitate to report reckless driving.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
In colorado you can dial *CSP and the state patrol will take the information and send a letter to the driver. My understanding is that if the same driver gets more than one compaint they will have an officer deliver the letter to the home in person.

To the OP I have to say you were wrong to chase this guy at 100 in a 40. In fact in many places, a trained police officer with lights and siren would be in trouble if they chased this guy for a traffic infraction at such speeds and ended up hurting someone.

Anger management would be a good thought if you would like to improve yourself in this area. In the meantime, let the Saab driver bury themself with their own bad karma and recklessness. I feel your frustration though; tough nut to swallow.

Last edited:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
__. Will they take action is you report getting stale donuts? (I think that that's much more likely.)

__. I hope they do, Nate. But with your "rear end thing" from a few months ago and now this, I'm wondering if you shouldn't get out of that hell-hole they call NoVirginia. Believe me, there are real places with green space and air and nice people and open roads to drive on. Really.

Bliddy Bladdy

TDI
Jetta 2013
I was harrassed by someone in another lane that apparently did not want to be passed by me and would speed up and slow down to keep me in the left lane, and I did nothing to start this. I was on cruise control until this started at night on I-70 in MD for about 25 miles. I called #77 twice and first time was told to try to get off the road and I said I was surely not driving to some road I was not familiar with when I was here on an interstate. I was told to get the license number and call back if it continued. I tried to slow down but the other car continued the same, so I finally pulled a "Maverick" maneuver and hit the brakes enough for the car to get ahead so I could make out the tags. I called back and was told they would BOLO. Passed two places where SP had people already pulled over for other traffic issues but saw nobody coming to my aid. The car finally pulled off onto an exit.

I'm not real pleased with the traffic enforcement type of police. They're pretty much focused on watching a radar gun readout than looking for other traffic violations that are harder to observer and prove. I guess if the other car had cut me off a few times and I finally decided to take him out with a shove to the rear quarterpanel, I would have finally seen the police.

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
That type of behavior seems to be on the rise. I call it ego driving. As someone who does a lot of driving I can forgive the occasional oblivious idiot. However, this sort of thing is annoying at best and dangerous at worst. As you have so eloquently pointed out the police are useless when it comes to this issue.

A friend once told me his solution. He just swerves a bit and crowds the person next to him. He says they drop back or speed up real quick! I don't condone this nor any other "dangerous" driving tactic. However, when you need to make a lane change to get out of the way of some other idiot it just might save your life.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thank you all for your replies. I posted this story, without editing what happened (I included my wrong of chasing this guy up the road), so I could get some honest feedback. I do agree, I have to learn to control my reaction to others' actions when driving, and I can not control what they do. I can just be a careful driver, and not go off when someone does something careless or disrespectful (blatently wreckless, in this case). Near misses are bound to happen. I rarely get upset by other things in life, but I do seem overly critical of other people's driving, especially when it could damage my property or endangers me.

I do think if I had an old beater, I would be a more relaxed driver. I am just too picky about my Jetta.

I do plan to retire well away from Northern Virginia, which I agree with Mr. Gutwrench, is a hell hole, traffic wise.

This morning when I was passing the same exit ramp where I was cut off and had to swerve violently to the right on Friday, I noticed the steep embankment to the right, next to the road, without a guard rail, and the Potomac River at the bottom of the embankment. That's where I would have ended up if I went off of the road, and I most likely would have rolled a few times on the way down.

And about 10 seconds after passing this merge ramp I saw the same SAAB and driver that cut me off on Friday (it was right at the same time of day), and he weaved right in front of me and my first inistinct was to get up next to him and scream and honk at him (about what he did Friday), but more level thoughts prevaled and I just chilled out, and I just watched him race down the road, recklessly weaving in and out of traffic. Oddly, he used his turn signal every time he changed lanes! Within 30 seconds he was out of sight, but not after he pulled left and ran up another merge lane to pass a couple of more cars on the George Washington Parkway. Unbelievable.

I then realized that the Karma Police will catch up with this person someday. Not sure when, but its gonna happen to someone who drives like that.

--Nate

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
That poor SOB SAAB driver has got to be around himself 24/7. Apparently he drives this way all the time. I can't imagine life like that so up tight. One day Nate you are going to read about this guy confined. Either in Jail, in a mental instituition or a wheel chair. NICE show of self control on your part brother.

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
Nate, kudos for handling the situation with restraint.

To echo Funguy....see ya wouldn't wanna be ya!

As to your original question I hope the answer is yes but I fear that it's more likely no in most cases.

(O\=o=/O)

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Funguy said:
That poor SOB SAAB driver has got to be around himself 24/7. Apparently he drives this way all the time. I can't imagine life like that so up tight. One day Nate you are going to read about this guy confined. Either in Jail, in a mental instituition or a wheel chair. NICE show of self control on your part brother.
Loved your post. I will remember you from now on when these things happen to me. I think it will help. We have had a bit of luck lately when someone did something crazy around us they were pulled over by a patrolman.

One thing I have seen in MO on I70 and I29 is multiple cars running in a string at 85 mph in a 70 mph zone thinking that only the first car in the string will get pulled over. I have seen 3 separate occasions where all 4, 5 or 6 cars got pulled over sitting in a line waiting for their ticket. Imagine how much time you lose if you are last in that string.

cyberdiesel

TDI
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited
PDJetta said:
I do plan to retire well away from Northern Virginia, which I agree with Mr. Gutwrench, is a hell hole, traffic wise.

I then realized that the Karma Police will catch up with this person someday. Not sure when, but its gonna happen to someone who drives like that.

--Nate
I remember driving I-95 .... more like I-95mph ... it's kind of the speed limit there too ... not that the VA state troopers really care! I thought Virginia was for lovers?

And yes on the Karma police .... it's the best way to handle it .... they'll get it, one way or another!

NHVFR

TDI
2013 Jetta sport wagon. 2004 Passat Wagon
I once called the police because there was a speeding driver and written in the dust on the back bumper of the mustang was "help me"....the troppers were all over his a** in less than 5 miles. I watched as they pulled him over but I never found out if the message was for real or not. There looked like 2 kids in the car with this guy...and he never tried to run from the cops.

So to the OP...yes they react...but not just cause someone cut you off.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
(O\=o=/O) said:
One thing I have seen in MO on I70 and I29 is multiple cars running in a string at 85 mph in a 70 mph zone thinking that only the first car in the string will get pulled over. I have seen 3 separate occasions where all 4, 5 or 6 cars got pulled over sitting in a line waiting for their ticket. Imagine how much time you lose if you are last in that string.
I haven't seen that happen in a long long time! Back in New York I saw it done. As far as my own self control, I don't find it easy to practice it when someone is disrespectful or aggressive but I try hard. It seems to be getting a little easier. I don't know if it is because I am getting older or I'm finally growing up. :D

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
GWP. If you remember a few years ago a driver was arrested and (I think) convicted for murder on that road. Two cars chasing each other, swerving, speeding, etc. When one finally caught up with the other, guy pulled a gun and shot the other.

Be careful who you chase down...

And if you see this guy again, call em. I thought there was a special number for that (like 711).

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
(O\=o=/O) said:
Up to 6 cars stopped at the same time waiting for one police officer to write tickets for all the drivers? If you're one of 6 cars in a pack, and a single police officer is pursuing, why on earth would you stop? Floor the accelerator, and wait for one of the other 5 suckers to get pulled over. Why volunteer to pay more money to the state? It's not like one officer can force all the cars to stop.

akmike

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 TDI naturally Jetta
Use your special RC smoke screen option!! Obscurant fog, there is a military version with carbon particles that scatters radar signals...

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
MrMopar said:
Up to 6 cars stopped at the same time waiting for one police officer to write tickets for all the drivers? If you're one of 6 cars in a pack, and a single police officer is pursuing, why on earth would you stop? Floor the accelerator, and wait for one of the other 5 suckers to get pulled over. Why volunteer to pay more money to the state? It's not like one officer can force all the cars to stop.

It's called "Wolf Packing" and is normally done from the air with cops on the ground to catch the clocked speeders . So if you're told to wait your turn by the police but take off you might be letting everyone else in line off . As they let them go to come after you ;) :) :p :D . Can't outrun that airplane or radio ............

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
MrMopar said:
When I have seen it they had several cops available for pursuit. One or two cops write the tickets. I don't think I would want to be the one stopped for eluding.

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
MrMopar said:
That's a stupid statement.

And no, none of the PO's have a dashboard cam these days. They are all hopped up on doughnuts and Redman. Good luck runnin'.

(aside) Spllllatt, some bich! aka...Buford T. Justice

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
"GWP. If you remember a few years ago a driver was arrested and (I think) convicted for murder on that road. Two cars chasing each other, swerving, speeding, etc. "

Yes, I remember this. I just Googled on it:

"In the Virginia suburbs of Washington, D.C., in April of 1996, Narkey Keval Terry and Billy Canipe, both 26, began dueling in their cars as they drove up the George Washington Parkway. Traveling at speeds of up to 80 miles per hour, the cars crossed the median of the parkway and hit two oncoming vehicles. Only one of the four drivers involved in the crash survived; Narkey Terry was sentenced to 10 years in prison for his role in the incident." This came from the link below.

This incident led to the installation of steel guard rails on the median strip where the opposing lanes are closer together.

http://www.aaafoundation.org/resources/index.cfm?button=agdrtext

The above link is to an exhaustive study on Road Rage.

The GWP also has no shoulders and has curbs in most places. There is no place to go if you need a way out.

More advice I read: "Massengill suggests that drivers report any incident of aggressive driving soon after it occurs by calling in the license number of the offending driver. He also suggests that no contact with an aggressive driver, including eye contact, be made. The other suggestion Massengill has is to relax behind the wheel."
--Nate

Last edited:

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Funguy said:
When I have seen it they had several cops available for pursuit. One or two cops write the tickets. I don't think I would want to be the one stopped for eluding.
The State Police in Illinois have a "no pursuit" policy for minor traffic violations. For them to chase you, you'd have to be fleeing from a felony or pose an imminent danger to the public should they let you go. On the extremely rare occasions when I see a State Police Officer (budget cuts have them spread REALLY thin) I never stop. My standard disclaimer will be that I would never suggest this to anyone else. But now you know.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The trouble with citizen-reporting in general - and even with police enforcement of this issue in general - is that different people have extremely different opinions of what constitutes "aggressive driving".

Little old grandmother might think everyone on "her" street is driving "too fast" and feels like reporting everyone. Or maybe she reports only the vehicles with noisy mufflers (even though other quiet vehicles are driving faster). Or maybe she reports only the straight-pipe Harleys because they are too loud (even though most of them are slow). Or maybe she reports only the sports motorcycles even though minivans are driving faster (had friends who have been victims of this). Lots of people complain about people driving "too fast" on "their" street ... and then they go right out and drive themselves equally "too fast" on someone else's street. Hypocritical but it is what it is.

Two drivers driving in the same manner and the same speed (above speed limit is standard practice here, the only question is "by how much"), one in a minivan and one in a red Ford Mustang, guess which one gets reported, and if the cops decide to pull one of them, guess which one it will be. (Seen it myself a few times, fortunately I've always been the "other" driver).

I live on a city street that is one of the main streets into the subdivision, and there are plenty of folks doing more than the 50 km/h limit even though there is a bend in the road and you can't see someone pulling out of a driveway (example, mine!) around the bend. But ... I don't complain, because I fully realize that I could be viewed as equally guilty on someone else's street. There is something to be said for anything being fair game as long as you don't cause a collision (that's my view of it).

Reporting someone obviously driving drunk is a different matter ... and I've done that, and the police came.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Driving as many miles per day as I do (around 350 right now), I see plenty of stupid drivers. Every once in a while I'll see one so bad that I try to report them, but the cops around here really don't want to hear it.

The last couple of times I've called them, I was harassed for doing so. They treat me like I was involved in a road rage thing and I'm using the cops to get back at the guy. They want my name, address, drivers license number, license plate number, make/model/color of MY car, etc. This is even before they ask for a description or plate number of the other guy.

Another time I reported a small, beat up, red car sitting in the fast lane of a local highway. No one in it, it was just sitting there at night with the lights off. I spent over 10 minutes on the phone, having to give them all of my information. I tried to give them a location, but not being from the area I could only narrow it down to about a 1/3 mile stretch of road (westbound 114 between Trophey Club and Roanoke for those you in the DFW area). That wasn't good enough for them. They wanted to know the make, model, license plate number of the stalled car. I finally told them "look, it's probably the only little red car sitting in the fast lane of the highway with no lights on!!", and hung up.

Yet another time I saw a brand new Lexus SUV that had obviously JUST been involved in an accident. The driver's side airbag was still deployed and blocking the side window, chrome and parts were still hanging down scraping the ground and wheels. Steam was still coming out of the front end. I figured it was a hit-and-run or stolen vehicle. I got the license plate number and description, but had to wait for about 20 minutes until I got home to get to a phone. When I called, the cops chewed me out for waiting to call. "What are we supposed to do about it now?". I just said, "yea, you're welcome" and hung up.

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I hate to say it but there really seems to me like a degredation in the service of law enforcement. I have had some of these same experiences that K5 describes in post 28. I reported some kids breaking into a home. When the cops got there the kids had left. Mind you I am in my postal uniform in my mail truck delivering mail. Cop starts asking me my name, date of birth etc. I got pissed when he asked me my height and weight. I told him "All you need to know is that I have been delivering mail to this house for 8 years so you can find me if you need me." He chilled and I drove away pissed off. Sarcastic and self important. Especially the dispatchers. Another time I had a drunk unconcious and unresponsive at a bus stop one block from the fire station. I call 911 and made the mistake of saying he was a vagrant. Ten minutes after I called, the fire truck pulls out and runs, non-emergency, in the opposite direction. Probably to get groceries! 25 minutes later a female cop pulls up and says oh yeah I know him no problem. (I knew him too as an extremely heavy drinking homeless man). When she can't rouse him she realizes oh yeah he could die and has an ambulance respond emergency. By the way I had called 911 again during the first 25 minute wait and I know someone else did too. They seem to think everyone is stupid except for themselves.

My apologies in advance to the many EXCELLENT officers and dispatchers I have known but things seem to be going downhill.

VFchicago88

Banned
Law enforcement, government, city jobs, suck, they hire the lowest of the low nowadays. Especially the city of chicago. It seems like the affirmative action loving city of chicago has hired all the ghetto dwellers, who like like gang members or 400 pound ugly, loud, obnoxious women to do all the work.

Its so godamn sad! I dont approve of ratting, but I had an EX -gf who wanted to call the cops on 2 instances of extreme drunk drivers.

2 times, we saw DRUNK drivers. Im talking, head falling down at stop lights, hitting curbs, a serious danger. 2 diff. drivers, 2 diff days. Ive never seen it so bad. The cops couldnt give a ****! They acted like it was a big deal for them to answer and take down info (my ex gf called) Its like they didnt care about it, and had a terrible attitude like she was bothering them.

You shouldnt call and whine about aggressive driving unless someone is doing something obviously dangerous.....its sad you can get arrested for damn near anything these days. Cant even beat someone up without getting some sort of aggravated felony battery! I loathe states attorneys! They dont even care if you are innocent, they just want a conviction!

Country isnt only filled with a majority of IDIOTS, but a bunch of whiny neurotic wimps!

A.C.A.B. !!!