Turbo outlet (hose to intercooler) blowing off

PredatorVI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have a 2006 Jetta TDI. The turbo disintegrated and was replace on March 6th.

A few weeks ago I changed the air filter and fuel filter (it had been a while), but before then I was hearing some odd hissing noises but didn't think much of it.

A week or so after replacing filters, it threw a P0101 code and the MAF sensor was replaced and the hissing noises continued (but were louder) and more codes were thrown (not sure what codes). The mechanic then found that the hose going to the intercooler from the turbo was split.

He replaced it but the new one keeps blowing off on the turbo end. The tube is a newer one made of silicon instead of rubber. They swapped it with a different new one again (direct from VW), but it still is blowing off.

The shop works on a lot of VW's and has been very knowledgeable and great to work with but have never seen a tube blow off like this. I believe they replaced the 'U' clip that holds it in (he showed me the old one). I can't imagine the new turbo, tube or clip are the root cause, but I'm fishing for additional options anyway for my own sake. I'm also wondering if the old tube split because of overboost, but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts? He's checked for overboost, but it doesn't seem to happen before the tube blows off.

Other things I've read about include:

- problems w/ variable geometry vanes/actuator/settings (but wouldn't wastegate bleed off excess if this was a problem?)
- wastegate problems (wouldn't overboost code be thrown if this is not working?)
- Bad clip (it's new...could it be bad or malformed?)
- Worn tabs on tube (but this one is new)

I'm open to looking at any other suggestions.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Never heard of overboost causing such an issue. I would replace both sides of the connection. Hose clip and its female counter part.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
And make sure that it's fitted properly, those clips can be awkward and the pipe will never stay on if it's not bang on. Mine kept popping off at the connection between the outlet and the pancake pipe, in the end I stuck a couple of self tapping screws through it which has cured it.

But yeh, wear and tear and off they pop.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have a Stage 3 tune from my VNT-15 and .205 nozzles that I just removed. Just this afternoon my new turbo kept blowing off the "clip" section for the IC input. Two self-tapping screws fixed the problem; I hooked a 17/56 to stock piping but with the same tune I didn't believe a "blowout" would occur. The .230's I just installed really work well with this turbo, and Stage 4 or 5 is due very soon. The motor I took the injectors out of dyno'd at 187 wheel hp running 26 pounds of boost with an S7.