M5 manual diesel wagon

Chris

Veteran Member
"...Reflecting its low volume status, each M5 Sports Wagon xDrive35d engine will be hand-built in the M Division's factory by the same engineer, who has been told he cannot take any sick or vacation days until all nine engines the automaker expects to deliver with U.S. specifications are built."

This might have been a clue...

jjohnny

TDI
mk IV golf tdi
Ah shoot, I should have read a little closer, I got all excited and didn't fully read it. Yeah I am noticing the date now, woops.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
The sad thing is, they would have sold a good many of something similar as a special edition for enthusiasts. The April fool's joke is a satire on how BMW is now influenced by the marketeers and not the enthusiasts any more.

Chris

Veteran Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but they'd have to invest in EPA certification to sell that powertrain in the US.
This is why you're not likely to see "special edition" powertrains here.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Correct me if I'm wrong but they'd have to invest in EPA certification to sell that powertrain in the US.
This is why you're not likely to see "special edition" powertrains here.
Yes. And the legal climate here also makes automakers that much more insulated from the enthusiasts. We live in a lowest common denominator based society.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
They do of course already offer the type of vehicle the OP is wanting- only in Europe though and only with an 8 spd automatic and AWD: the M550dx.

Things would really need to change in this market to make them even consider bringing this vehicle over, although I must say now that Audi is bringing over a $100k diesel sedan, BMW might just be watching ;)