Need an engine 1.9 TDI...

dupp

Veteran Member
At @ 123K miles the other day my 96 Passat TDI throws a #3 rod through the block....who knows why as I am meticulous with the vehicle...

In any event I would like to drop a new/used 1.9 in the grey 4dr.

Any input/leads on used TDI engines would be greatly appreciated as the car (other then the engine) has alot of life left in her.

Many thanks!

Mike

andrewc

Veteran Member
TDI
none :( ....(gone) 98 NB 6spd
www.car-part.com search results for the SE region of the U.S. for 1996 VW Passat 1.9L engine "w/ TDI" :

Year
Part
Model Description Miles Part Grade Stock#
US Price
Dealer Info

Engine
Volkswagen Passat 155,000 D15551
$1600
Southside Auto Parts, A Division of Foss Auto Recycling, Inc. USA-NC(Raleigh-Durham) E-mail 1-800-672-9722

Engine
Volkswagen Passat4DR,GRN,12-95,1.9L,M T,NEED TO CHECK 6A622
$1200
Black's Auto Salvage USA-LA(Brusly) E-mail 1-800-234-5063

Engine
Volkswagen PassatOVERSTOCK GUARANTEED 007 052436
$1150
A & A Auto Center USA-FL(Orlando) E-mail 1-800-901-2186

Engine
Volkswagen Passat4DR,11 96,F5SD,FWD,2.0,TDI T80830
$1750
Texas Auto Salvage USA-TX(Grand-Prairie) E-mail 1-800-442-6530 / 1-972--263-3306

.....and if you want to save $$$ by doing more work swapping engine components from your current engine you could just get a used block. There's a good chance "block" means you'll get the entire "short block" including pistons, crank, etc. There there is one in NY:

Engine Block
Volkswagen Passatturbo dsl, w/TDI- 25078
$275
Roadway Auto USA-NY(Oneonta) E-mail 1-800-562-0014

many more if you search nationwide. Cheers, Andrew

Last edited:

dupp

Veteran Member
Andrew/Tom-

Thanks for the input/legwork, they sure aren't giving them away, although Oneonta, NY might be the best bet, as I have family in that neighborhood.

Will keep looking for a good TDI engine in the meantime.

Many thanks,

Mike

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
09 B-graphite sedan 6-sp (Bridgewater- NJ)
When someone dies young I always like to think that they smoked, were overweight, etc. SO tell me did you ever chip the passat? was it ever chipped, if yes I'd feel a lot better.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
Mike, I'm sorry to hear the news about your car. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

48 MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Chris at Fine Tuning Performance in Seattle just got in a 97 Passat with a good engine, give him a call at 206-522-5503

dupp

Veteran Member
Car was never chipped and not hot-rodded (not that that's an option with a TDI...) Just went belly up - 3rd cyl rod cracked front block, exited the rear, what a surprise.

Anyone have any dealings with Apex Auto parts @ Tulsa, OK;

Black's Auto Salvage in Brusly, La

or

A & A Auto Center in Orlando....might be on to some engines there....but they don't give them away...

Thanks,

Mike

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
dupp-
Sorry for your troubles. I'm just really curious as to how that could happen. Did you ever experience a broken TB? What type of oil and what change interval? That is way too young. Thanks for any additional info.

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
09 B-graphite sedan 6-sp (Bridgewater- NJ)
TDITOM , the right Bruce (redtdi966) ?? miles , root cause is this a question for redtdi966 or "dupp".

TDI engines take a beating with the high compression. Even if you buy new it always could of been the "friday" or "gotta get it done before lunch" or " freak my boss, I'll show him" engine at the VW assemby plant...

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
that question was for Paramedick- sorry for the confusion.

Have you heard of this happening before? I have never heard of a "meticulously" maintained tdi giving up the ghost under 200k miles.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Hey, Tom. This engine had 180K, IIRC. Car purchased used with 100K+. He had had a tapping noise, and smoky performance for some time prior to failure. We speculate that a rod bearing let go, and the broken rod beat holes in the block. This occurred while driving on the interstate.

PM papajohn for the final word. I never did hear what was found when the engine was jerked and replaced. Jon Hamilton did the work.

dupp

Veteran Member
I used 5W40 Rotella Synthetic every 7500 miles.

Timing belt, water pump, serp belt, tensioner done @ 120K.

Sometimes these things happen, my wagon with 226K still going strong on orig cluthc, exhaust system ...go figure...

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Any progress on this Professor?

Will we see you at Old Navy's in October?

dupp

Veteran Member
Would love to get to Old Navy's in October, but might have a conflict...by that time my wagon should be close to 240K and ready for a TB, etc....

Just ordered an engine from A & A in Orlando, 87K Passat TDI engine should be here next week, in the 4 dr the following week, should be quite the experience.

Hope to see you guys in PB.

Mike

andrewc

Veteran Member
TDI
none :( ....(gone) 98 NB 6spd
dupp said:
Just ordered an engine from A & A in Orlando, 87K Passat TDI engine should be here next week, in the 4 dr the following week, should be quite the experience.
Happy to read you found an engine that met your needs.

If you don't mind my asking, what price did you end up paying A&A, and what did shipping cost? I've had no luck trying to negotiate with salvage yards -- just wondering if they sold it for any less than the $1150 posted price in car-part.com.

Cheers,
andrew

dupp

Veteran Member
Engine deal didn't work out at A & A, the engine was NOT complete and had been scavengered - injector pump, crank pulley, T-belt cover and other associated parts had been removed , so I am back to square one...will continue the search for a good used complete TDI engine.

Mike