Bizarre DSG Rattle 2-5mph

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2016 Golf SE TSI
Hi all,

I have 2013 DSG JSW TDI with about 33k miles on it. Around 13k I noticed a sudden noise appeared when moving 2-5mph. Its a pretty pronounced rattle coming from the front drivers side and a very noticeable shaking. It seems to be coming from the transmission and occurs pretty consistently. Others who are not mechanically inclined(or anal about it) have noticed it to and asked if there was something wrong.

I have had two other DSG cars prior, so Im use to there quirks and roughness (which never bothered me). This is something I have not encountered.

It almost sounds like the DMF but it doesn't rattle when in park. Also I noticed that If I tap the brake pedal a lot of times it you can feel an engagement in the transmission and the rattle stops (but not all the time... its almost like the clutch is failing to engage properly.

Ive removed the belly pan to make sure it wasn't vibrating.

Heres a link to a video I shot of it. Its louder than in person than the video:

https://youtu.be/ZIhre97V0Gw

I brought it in once and the dealer set the DSG back to basic settings, but didn't effect in it any way. The one service person I dealt with told me "they all do that".... the line everyone gets with a DSG problem.

Anyway I just wanted to see what you guys think and ultimately get on VW to figure this out

Last edited:

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Mine has done this since day one. Has 62k on it now (most of them with Malone tune) and it hasn't gotten any worse. Funny thing is my Passat or my R32 don't do it at all.

azthegame

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr Golf TDI w/DSG
It's because at that speed, your dsg is on the line of 1st and 2nd gear. It's in second but kinda wants to go to 1st but doesn't. It happens all the time for me especially when creeping on a drive thru window for fast food. When I am in D, it's in second as I am creeping, but if you flip it to manual mode, it goes to 1st and the rattle instantly stops. Hence why I am almost positive my theory is accurate.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
My '12 golf did this as well, I got tired explaining this to my dealer, traded it in and got manual instead. Not sure if its normal or not, but my 09 Jetta didn't do this

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
It's because at that speed, your dsg is on the line of 1st and 2nd gear. It's in second but kinda wants to go to 1st but doesn't. It happens all the time for me especially when creeping on a drive thru window for fast food. When I am in D, it's in second as I am creeping, but if you flip it to manual mode, it goes to 1st and the rattle instantly stops. Hence why I am almost positive my theory is accurate.
Yes mine reverberates off the wall at a drive thru window or in a parking garage. I have however put mine in manual and it doesn't make it stop. It has done it since day 1 and hasn't gotten any worse so I'm going to drive it till it flies apart then I will know what to fix lol.

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
My '12 golf did this as well, I got tired explaining this to my dealer, traded it in and got manual instead. Not sure if its normal or not, but my 09 Jetta didn't do this
Same thing, Ive had two DSG cars prior and neither did this. Not even close

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
Our new '14 appears to make this sound. We picked her up last Saturday and noticed it in a parking garage. Our '12 never did this. Slightly disappointing but I'm not letting the dealer touch a brand new DSG. So far it's barely noticeable.

This thread has helped alleviate my concerns.

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is a better video of what it normally sounds like. This is outside the car, which is actually quieter than the noise when the windows are up inside. But the noise canceling on my phone kills the rattle inside. This is about 900-1200rpm

In this run it was little more on and off, normally once it starts rattling it doesn't stop until I come to a dead stop or bring it above 1300rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A-iRD34k8A&feature=youtu.be

The reality for me is for the first 15k it never once did this, then suddenly it did, and seems to be getting very slowly worse. If I went to sell the car and someone heard this they most likely wouldn't consider buying it. Hell if I had ever heard this sound coming from it I wouldn't have bought it new.

Last edited:

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
Ours isn't quite that obnoxious. It's much more subtle but similar in nature.

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
It looks like your driveway represents the perfect scenario in order for this problem to occur.

evantful

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, normally the DSG's I have used in the past gives almost like a chugging rattle. The sound was pretty constant and consistent. It was never concerning.

This has a really hard metal banging, that changes rapidly in pitch. And mind you when you throw in the harsh vibration that starts with that noise, it creates a pretty unsettling situation.

Normally it happens in parking lots, drive throughs, toll booths whether under load or just coasting.