Refresh my memory - lower belt cover?

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
Long story short, I purchased back my old 02 Jetta after having sold it 10 years ago. It was in an accident and I'm working on restoring it to get a restored salvage title.

Question: it's been a while...should there be some kind of cover on the accessory belts? Or does the [missing] skid plate provide all the protection they need? I don't know if the skid plate was lost in the accident or earlier but it doesn't seem right that I can see all the way to the ground. Plus, I remember losing sockets in that thing, so I know it used to be there.

Wondering if you all could help me refresh my memory. Most of it's coming back but man, I've forgotten a lot!

dieselboy55

TDI
Jetta
If you mean a cover like the timing belt has? No, there isn't one for the serpentine belt. Google has tons of images of this engine you can reference.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Climb back on that bike! It'll all come back to you. OK, maybe the missing skid plate won't, but I'm sure you'll get the hang of things and learn how to once again fish for sockets and stuff from another skid plate!:D

Yeah, missing splash shield/skid plate.

“If you love something set it free. If it comes back it’s yours. If not, it was never meant to be.”

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
"If you you love something set free, if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it." That is the version I was always taught, but your version is much more warm and fuzzy. LOL

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nevada, you're messing with my warm/fuzzy feelings here! Geez, I bet you liked this Bamabi movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXCUBVS4kfQ

Ha ha!:D

But... taking your version in to account perhaps you're implying that maybe Drewser tried to kill the Jetta via "accident?"

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
"...set it free, if it comes back..."

Love it.

Spent Saturday cannibalizing Jetta's at 4 different pick-n-pulls but they weren't TDIs so wasn't sure if they even had skid plates that would work. Turned out not to matter as none of them had skid plates anyway. But got some taillights, a headlight, a new rear bumper, new hood, bag full of bulbs, arm rest and plastic bumper mounts.

Then got all lovey with the old girl again Sunday, dropping sockets like the good old days. :p At least I could hear them hit the ground this time!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If you're talking about the plastic lower engine cover, you'll rarely find those at the junk yard. You can likely get one free if hunt hard. If you do much high speed urban driving would recommend you put some metal down there.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know of a shop up in the lower Vancouver, BC area that has a pile of them (from various cars) in a "back corner." I'd looked at a TDI they were selling and when I heard their reply as to where the splash shield was for the car I was looking at they said they had a bunch piled in a back corner. Really? Taking parts off of customers' cars and not reinstalling? I declined to pursue that TDI.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
I know of a shop up in the lower Vancouver, BC area that has a pile of them (from various cars) in a "back corner." I'd looked at a TDI they were selling and when I heard their reply as to where the splash shield was for the car I was looking at they said they had a bunch piled in a back corner. Really? Taking parts off of customers' cars and not reinstalling? I declined to pursue that TDI.
Yeah, sounds sketchy...maybe they were just hoarders of splash guards... lol

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, sounds sketchy...maybe they were just hoarders of splash guards... lol
While I was there (car up on a lift- wish that I could do that for every car I was looking at!) someone with a pretty new and VERY expensive Benz rolled in (several folks guided the vehicle in, clearly being extremely careful). Have to wonder if they'd leave the splash shield off of that car.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
"If you you love something set free, if it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it." That is the version I was always taught, but your version is much more warm and fuzzy. LOL
That's the version I remember, but really it was somewhat tongue in cheek. If it doesn't come back, count your blessings.

For those that have had their man card revoked, warm and fuzzy = PC and Vaginized......................

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Man card revoked?

I suppose those that feel insecure need to find something to use to puff their chests out.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yup, insecure...

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
One day there was a lady comedian talking about the guy phrase,"You need to grow a pair", she said, "That adage is completely wrong, testicles are too sensitive; you need to grow a vagina because vaginas are built to take a beating." For one second I was appalled and then I thought about the female gymnasts that pound their monkeys against the uneven parallel bars at 60 MPH... I then thought maybe the lady was right after all.