2005 jetta sedan..have to replace ECM???!!!

updaze

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5 Speed, 2005 Jetta Sedan Automatic
My dealer just told me that my whole ECM has to be replaced at a cost of $950 because my manifold valve is getting no voltage from the ECM...and cannot use a used ecm because it is tied to the VIN #...am I being bull****ted or not?...help!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
My dealer just told me that my whole ECM has to be replaced at a cost of $950 because my manifold valve is getting no voltage from the ECM...and cannot use a used ecm because it is tied to the VIN #...am I being bull****ted or not?...help!
A new ECU is not initially tied to your VIN either. You need to get to a GURU and have the codes pulled with a VCDS. And what "manifold valve" are they referring to?

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
No way. That's completely absurd. And beside, you can buy a used ECU and it will adapt to the car and and pull the VIN number from the gauge cluster which also stores the VIN. Of course, there is the whole issue with the glow plug software though.

What intake flap? There are several on a BEW. I would head toward a broken wire somewhere rather than the ECU. Replacing the ECU is absolute last resort to a problem.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I think it's the asv because it's electrical on the newer car.
Find a pin out for the ecu and check that first, I really wouldn't use the dealer for it either, as said there's second hand ones that work just fine if needed. You might find the pin out here

http://www.ecuconnections.com/

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I'd trace the wiring back to the ECU first and then check out the throttle valve. Why did they say the throttle valve was bad? Is the CEL on and a code stored for it?

BTW, if the throttle valve is bad, a new one is about $250 from firstvwparts.com (a VW dealer with internet sales). Your local dealer may charge near to twice that for this part. I know. I had to replace mine.

Unplugged, by default, it stays open, but you will get a CEL. The car runs fine without it. Its sole purpose is to increase EGR flow rate into the engine and quite the engine on shut-down. I think it may also offer some protection in case the turbocharger fails and dumps lubrication oil into the intake manifold, which could cause an uncontrolled engien acceleration.

The best option is to have it working, but there are other options, especially if you do not have to pass emissions testing.

--Nate

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've run across this issue before, it was on a BRM though. ECU's driver circuit for that output just tooefed. Have to make certain it is not a wiring problem first. Dealer tech's love to get roped into Volkswagen's lame "guided fault finding" which basically assumes the tech is a moron, and hand holds them through some pedantic basic checks that are often not grounded in reality, and ultimately leads to 'replace control unit'.

You can get a used ECU, however, once again the dealer's techs will be hand cuffed to their system which won't allow for any thinking outside the box when it comes to the immobiliser or VIN-embedding.

What I would do is try and contact Jeff at www.rocketchip.com or one of the other tuners to see if they can help you. They may have an ECU they can exchange for you, or even program that output out of your existing ECU if you prefer. Either way, it will be less money.