2004 2.0 liter BHW swap into 1994 Toyota

Cottickc

TDI
2004 Passat BHW swap into 1994 Toyota Pickup
I’m new here and have done a fair bit of research, but with so much knowledge on this site I figured I would look for assistance. I got the BHW out of the donor 2004 Passat, I have the entire wire harness that was in the engine bay(unplugged it from the ECU and electrical block under it). I am swapping into a 1994 Toyota 4X4 pickup with a manual transmission Here are my questions:

1). What do I need from the inside wire harness besides the accelerator pedal and scanner plug?

2). Thoughts on swapping to the old style oil pump from the balance shaft model I currently have?

3). Thoughts on the EGR delete?

4). Was going to send the ECU to Malone tuning to have the immobilization removed and a stage 2 tune, anything else I need done to get it to run?

I’m good on all the mechanical and fabrication work, it’s the electrical portion I could really use some advice.

Thanks

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
grab the entire harness, relay, and fuse box, your life will be much easier with all the bits... affirmative on the bsm delete, my bhw/alh hybrid is deleted, zero issues over 125k miles

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I've noticed the egr issues on the BHW are not nearly as common as other vw diesels. I'd consider Michigan near the artic circle(compared to my local). Would tossing the egr on that conversion lead to a longer engine warm up time/colder cab heat longer for minimal power gain?

Also, are the stock Toyota flywheels heavy enough on this conversion or should the swaps use the near 40lbs centerforce clutch/flyweel combo that was developed for the off road yota guys with dual transfercase set ups looking to pop the clutch without a stall while climbing rocks?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Affirmative on the above - go with the Delete - 200k km on mine (ALH pump, BRM gears) with no issues.

I also would not worry about the EGR on this engine, they cause few if any problems, unlike earlier cars. I had mine out to check and it had minimal carbon around it.

Malone did the auto-manual stage2 tune on mine, no issues there either.

Cottickc

TDI
Any specific oil pump kits that you recommend? Does anyone sell a specific wire harness for these swaps? Does anyone recommend a specific adapter kit? I was looking at the Acme kits. Thanks

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I've heard too many issues with the acme kits being off center. This has led to input shaft bearings going out and other transmissions damage. Gastodiesel sells kits for a few hundred more that will both fit better and are more compete. He's also a vendor on here.

You'll have to make your own harness. I'm having a malone tune done on both my BHW projects by another vendor here who does the malone tune in the states. Malone should be able to provide diagrams on the BHW for you, if not others should be able to help. I'll be getting some in a few weeks and the moment i do I'll gladly share the wealth.

You'll want to remove the harness from your donor car. Don't give into the urge to cut anything! It's supposed to be simple from what ive been told. Ive yet to pull mine. Between work and my 5 speed 05 tdi passat conversion I've been too busy. Once my driver passat is ready to go the work begins on putting the 2.0 motor in my boat.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Member Hasenwerk can also do a custom tie-in of the BHW ECU and harness to talk to the rest of the vehicle, plus the necessary programming for a manual transmission on said ECU, immo-delete and gauge cluster-ignore.

Brake and clutch pedal switches should probably also be added.

How are people doing VSS?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
If I remember correctly its just like the land cruiser and run off of the transfer case. You probably are not asking in reference to the speedo....i should on bed

Last edited:

Cottickc

TDI
Ok, thanks for all the support. I will say... getting the complete harness out of the donor Passat on the inside of the car is challenging... that thing is burried like a tick on a coon hounds hind end. But, I didn’t cut any wires and got it out. Take your time! It’s a massive bundle of wires! Now I get to work backwards from the engine to figure out what stays.

Cottickc

TDI
Good Evening, I was all set to do this TDI swap, and just ran out of time and kept the original Toyota 22Re, I am going to sell this 2.0 BHW complete motor with wire harness and everything needed for a swap. Any thoughts on the best way to post it for sale in the TDI community. I am in Michigan.

Aweber1549

TDI
Bhw
Good Evening, I was all set to do this TDI swap, and just ran out of time and kept the original Toyota 22Re, I am going to sell this 2.0 BHW complete motor with wire harness and everything needed for a swap. Any thoughts on the best way to post it for sale in the TDI community. I am in Michigan.
Sent you a PM

toyotaguy94

TDI
bhw
Can anyone point me into the right direction for a bhw adapter plate to the toyota w56? everything im seeing is for the earlier ahu's. also, what ifo is out there on starter relocation? am i better off finding a different parts car?

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
TD Conversions makes a 2" thick adapter which really helps with firewall clearance so you don't have to move the trans forward and pay for driveshafts. Its also the only one that is clockable so you have a couple of different angle choices and also uses the stock or aftermarket flywheel, not a custom redrilled one. They also have a couple of motor mount its. Its more money than the flat plate kits but worth it in the end and includes a high torque starter. They just announced a new line of billet adapters which are very nice looking and same cost as the older models.
1611854866598.png