buy back for Gen 1 TDIs?

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Has anyone sold back their TREG Gen 1? What was the deal ,how much restsitution did they pay? I haven't been able to get any info. Is this still up in the air?

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Check out the thread on Club Touareg. All sorts of info on there and yes there have been a few on that forum who sold theirs back. I am awaiting the fix and money to keep it.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I am now signed up for the fix,when ever that will happen. Restitution is suppose to be 10K with my mileage level.

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
SOLD! The wife's Touareg had 250,000+ miles when we sold it back to VW. Payout was just a little above $18,000. We did a trade and picked up a 2018 Tiguan SE. It's a nice vehicle, but in the wife's words, "it's not a Touareg".:( Perhaps we should have opted for the SEL to get some luxury features she had grown used to. Couldn't see putting down $60 K for a Touareg gasser.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Just to rub salt in the wound... A friend of mine just picked up a 15 Q7 TDi with around 10k on it. Paid around $50 and got around $18k for his Acura MDX, so ~$32 plus tax, tag, crap...

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I signed up for the fix,will get 10,500 after fix. Now the waiting game begins. Time will tell when or if they fix these cars. Mine only has 52k miles,so it is basically new.

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Ten grand back in the bank is tempting but WAIT until you hear how others get on with the fix [if it ever comes!].

There are a lot of complaints about the 2.0 Tdi fix, especially those with auto boxes where the so-called fix beggars up the gear changes and low speed cruising with more diesel noise and poorer fuel consumption to add insult to injury.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
VW sent a message that they will contact me when the fix is available. I'm not in any hurry. I still can't find anything i want to replace it with like the VW Treg TDI. As far as the fix goes, reports on the gen 2 seems ok so far. I may try to buy a 2016 TDI,if things work out.

scrubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
VW sent a message that they will contact me when the fix is available. I'm not in any hurry. I still can't find anything i want to replace it with like the VW Treg TDI.
my thoughts exactly. The more I look for a replacement vehicle, the more I realize how great the Touareg is. I'm even contemplating the "opt out/do nothing" position if a partial fix isn't approved.

ECFG

TDI
2013 Audi Q7 TDI, Vanagon Westphalia Syncro TD, 2004 Jetta Wagen TDI
I just talked with VW yesterday inquiring about the timeline on the software fix. The gal I spoke with was very upfront and she stated VW is having a hard time getting the EPA/CARB to accept VW's fix for the Gen 1 Touareg's. She stated that the decision will be made in November. She also told me that IF the software fix is not accepted, then one will have to go to the buy back / trade - in / or do nothing options.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I just talked with VW yesterday inquiring about the timeline on the software fix. The gal I spoke with was very upfront and she stated VW is having a hard time getting the EPA/CARB to accept VW's fix for the Gen 1 Touareg's. She stated that the decision will be made in November. She also told me that IF the software fix is not accepted, then one will have to go to the buy back / trade - in / or do nothing options.
My guess is because they are resolved to the fact that it cannot be repaired properly. Why else would they have initially opened up the buyback without a waiting period like they have for the Gen II?

TIG

TDI
Mk4 ALH with 615K kms, 2011 Touareg TDI 115K kms
My guess is because they are resolved to the fact that it cannot be repaired properly. Why else would they have initially opened up the buyback without a waiting period like they have for the Gen II?
It's all in the documents filed with the EPA and CARB - You guys should really read this stuff. Right out of the blocks, VW was clear that they could not bring the Gen 1 3.0L up to actual requirements that they were certified to(Tier 1 Bin 5). They said they could for Gen 2. There was no buy back for gen 2s because they thought they could meet the requirement (and they did). They were compelled to offer a buy back on anything that they cannot bring up to the level they were certified at.

EPA signed off many months ago on them modifying gen 1.1s (2009-2010) to tier 1 bin 7 and 1.2 (2011-2012) to tier 1 bin 6 (with a cash payout to compensate for the owners getting sold something that was not as advertised). There is also a buy back option since technically your LEV isn't so LEV anymore.

With the announcement of a Gen 1 2.0 TDI fix (with no urea) I am confident that the fix on the gen 1 3.0 will be an increase in DEF usage, different programming and an extended warranty on all of the emissions equip.

Read the govt docs, not the internet!

Edit - And don't believe a word VW customer service tells you!

1945GPW

TDI
2005 Jetta 2015 Golf
I did the buyback on my 2012 Touareg back in AUG. It had 93,000 miles and I got a little over $45k for it. Hated to see it go but couldn't pass on the money. The gentleman who I turned the vehicle over to told me that since there was no fix for the first gen 3.0 that if I hadn't done the buyback I wouldn't be able to re register it in a couple years. Not sure if there is any truth to that but its the second person I've heard it from and they are telling me this after the completion of the buyback. Anyway my experience was super easy and smooth.

1945GPW

TDI
2005 Jetta 2015 Golf
Oh and I just got a $1500 check in the mail from Bosch last week as well. So total almost $47k

1945GPW

TDI
2005 Jetta 2015 Golf
We didn't need the bigger SUV right now so decided to get the 2015 Golf TDI. Its nice but defiantly not the quality that the Touareg had.

lml999

TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
I opted for the fix as well but don't expect that they will release one. I'll get $28K for our '10, will probably roll that over into a newer Q5 TDI or potentially the new body style Q5 gas. I have to get some seat time in that platform before I make any decisions.

TIG

TDI
Mk4 ALH with 615K kms, 2011 Touareg TDI 115K kms
TIG. I would love to read up on the EPA and carb docs,How and where is it found ? Thanks in advance.
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-12/documents/30literpartialconsentdecree.pdf

Here is more good info:

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/vw_info/vw_faq_3liter.htm

The deadline for submission of the emissions modification to EPA is November 10th. Since the 2,0L version has been customarily approved, I can't see how the 3.0L would not be as well.

Edit: I just did some digging and the modifications for nearly all 2.0Ls are fully approved. I they can fix the 2.0L without urea injection, the 3.0Ls should be an easy one with even less negative effects than the 2.0L.

Also interesting that the warranty extension (4 years or 87K kms) applies to just about everything powertrain including HPFP, injectors etc.

Last edited:

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
This all makes my head spin. We are now past 11/10 and no news,is anyone surprised? It's getting to be fun watching paint dry.

tootall424

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
Do I have to go to a VW dealer for buyback? Could I go to Audi? What if the dealer sells both? Could I trade my Touareg TDI in for an Audi Q5/Q7 or Cayenne?

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I guess as long as you keep your mileage within the stated level your car can eventually be bgt back at the stated price when you filed your claim. Keep driving the car till the bitter end,it's basically a free car now. Fix would be the best,but your fall back is they have to buy it back if there is no fix. Way better than the gen2 and gen 3 where there is only a fix and restitution money.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
I just got the number for my 2011 with 100K miles, $36,276. I love my Touareg but will be taking the buyback at the end of February.

tootall424

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
My 2012 Touareg TDI Sport w/ Nav at 52k is estimated at $46k for buyback. I plan on doing it, but not sure when. Next Summer of Fall maybe. I love this car and I am sad that I have to turn it in.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
My 2012 Touareg TDI Sport w/ Nav at 52k is estimated at $46k for buyback. I plan on doing it, but not sure when. Next Summer of Fall maybe. I love this car and I am sad that I have to turn it in.
correction...you're sad you are choosing to sell it back. No one has a gun to you're head

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Nope. With the increased diesel prices/tax here in CA, and the possibility of worse mileage with the fix, it makes no sense to keep it...
yah like i said you dont have to sell it back your choosing to...this is not a forced buyback

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I may try to buy a 2016 TDI after the fix if the car has reasonable performance and trade my 2012 lux for a bunch of money. Problem I have read is the fix screws up the mileage and pickup. We'll have to see. I don't have to worry about an emissions test,so I could possibly do a tune and get the original performance.