Fuel filter brand?

Qui-Gon_Gene

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Does anyone know if Pentius brand fuel filters are good? I am looking at fuel filters on rockauto.com, and the Pentius filters are less than half the price of Wix, Mann, or Beck/Arnley. I know Wix and Mann are good, but I don't know anything about Beck/Arnley or Pentius. The Pentius are tempting because of the price, but the price also makes me wonder if they are worth buying. :confused:
Any of them are cheaper than going to the local parts stores.
I also have the same brand conundrum with air filters. I am also considering an AEM or K&N washable air filter. This is my first diesel car. Are the washable air filters a good idea?
Anyone have advice for me? Thanks!

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
No washable filters on TDIs. Period. Do a search to learn why.
Again...stick to OEM brands. It's not worth risking an issue to "save" a few pennies.
IMHO, of course.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Yes stick to the OE suppliers. Out of curiosity I bought Beck/Arnley primary fuel filter and oil filter for my benz from rockauto and both boxes contained Mann filters.

K&N air filters are generally not a good choice for turbo diesels. Just stick with the OE paper style, they flow and filter well and have a long service life.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Yes, as mentioned, the service life on the filters is quite long, so a couple bucks doesn't cover the questionable factor. I do however use NAPA Gold (Wix) filters since I trust them and are available locally in my rural area.
Do a search and learn why to avoid the "reusable" air filters. The OEM intake filter system is more than adequate.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
So you guys think Wix is ok for VW fuel/oil filters? I use Wix for marine/industrial engine filters and always thought the quality was ok. Never thought to use them for my VW, but may on next go.

Hurricane Drew

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
I stick to the MANN brand. A catastrophic fuel related meltdown on the TDI is probably more expensive than I want to deal with by saving $5-$10 on a fuel filter.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
So you guys think Wix is ok for VW fuel/oil filters? I use Wix for marine/industrial engine filters and always thought the quality was ok. Never thought to use them for my VW, but may on next go.
I have used a couple of the OEM type Wix fuel filters and currently have a WIX "eqivalent" to the CAT filter unit in the '01 Jetta. I have no complaints/problems.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I recommend staying away from any oiled air filters. They are especially subject to problems with our TDI's most all K&N filters are oiled. Their dry filters are OK.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Wix oil filters (NAPA Gold) are fine.

As for air filters, I agree with the advice to avoid K&N -- but the Amsoil Ea air filter is a totally different animal. When I run out of my current stock, I think I will give the Ea filter a try.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx

steffen707

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
actually i think the fuel filter is mann, or for $1 more you can get a hengst.

Is this a good deal? for $43, that sounds pretty good to me, you can get another mann oil filter for another $5.95.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Read and understand the service intervals in your owners manual. Idparts IS a trusted vendor.
Contact the Guru nearest you and see if there is a GTG in the works. (Get ToGether..)

Bill

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Yes, amazon is a really cool place. Call and ask amazon a technical question about TDIs. While you have them on the phone, ask them if they financially support the TDIclub IN ANY FASHION WHATSOEVER.

Bill

Last edited:

steffen707

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS TDI
The filter change intervals are different for each, or should be unless you decide to keep it simple.
Well i understand they are suppose to have different service intervals; however, I just bought my tdi used and i have no idea when anything was last done. I figure at 170,000 miles it would be a good time to do a diesel purge, change all the filters and get a good baseline for future maintenance.

I also know the dealer just changed the timing belt, idler, tensioner, serpentine belt, water pump, cam and crank seals.