2006 Jetta EGR valve?

webtdi

TDI
2006 Jetta
​Hi guys, my 2006 Jetta is throwing the following code I have cleared it and it comes back instantly. Did some searching and from what I can tell I most likely have to replace the EGR valve. can some one confirm this for me.

I did also get the following 001027 - EGR Valve (N18): Malfunction but hasn't come back yet after clearing it once tho I haven't been driving the car.

Thanks

Saturday,01,October,2011,14:04:13:15545 VCDS Version: Release 10.6.5 (x64)
Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-016-BEW.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 03G 906 016 AB HW: 028 101 223 8
Component and/or Version: R4 1,9L EDC G000SG 7550
Software Coding: 0050071
Work Shop Code: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 63CE5D54DBCE
1 Fault Found:
001031 - EGR Potentiometer (G212): Signal too Low
P0407 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 104897 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 13:50:59
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 840 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Lambda: -8.0 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 365.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 130.0 mg/str
Bin. Bits: 00000000
Readiness: 1 1 0 0 1

DidJettarun

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 2005.5 Jetta A4 2003 Jetta
Dieselfueler is correct....spend the money on a tune to delete the EGR and block off instead of replacing the EGR

codylent

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI, 2015 Jetta TDI
I just blocked mine off and you would not believe the power & fuel economy difference!! I did mine because of a problem I was having but am going to do it to my wife's car also just to prevent a problem. I wish I would've done it years ago! I got a blockoff plate from dieselgeek.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I'm not convinced it's a bad EGR... at least not yet. Last month I had this code and driveability issues outlined here:
001027 - EGR Valve (N18): Malfunction
P0403 - 000 - - - Intermittent
And these codes are set when disconnecting the EGR (which corrects driveability):
001031 - EGR Potentiometer (G212): Signal too Low
P0407 - 000
If it's a bad ground, non-EGR codes will also get set. If not, then trace the wiring harness back to the fuse box and look for chaffing.

webtdi

TDI
2006 Jetta
I finally got the EGR off last night. it's not all that dirty, deffinatly not plugged. I will trace the wire back to the box and look at the connection when I get home.

Originally the light came on the day after I had changed all of my filters. it was raining/snowing and cold I had just driven 2.5 hours (the return section of my trip) back into the city and stepped on the peddle to go it had no power. CEL came on.

At the next light stepped on it and it went. the CEL did go away for a while then came back. it drove ok for awhile then sitting at a light it started to sputter died then would not start. after about 5 tries it started. drove it back home (less than a block) left it for a couple of days. It then ran fine for a couple of weeks.

it started sputtering again that's when I parked it till I got the codes read.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
If it dies at idle, then it could be a bad EGR. In the meantime, just disconnect the electrical connector on it. It will set a code, but the driveability issues should cease. The exception being if the valve stuck open and flooding the intake with exhaust.

webtdi

TDI
2006 Jetta
ok I've replaced the EGR valve with a new one. decided it was probably better to replace then to block it off as I live where it gets -40C regularly..

as soon as I cleared the fault code it returns. I have noticed that it idles alot smoother now.. tried to clear the code with and without the engine running same thing. it returns right away.

blksmok

TDI
06 BRM package 2
my '06 tdi has a loud hiss coming from under the car. I chased it to what I believe is a EGR actuator valve. I already have a tune in it from kerma so can someone point me to the "how to" to block off the egr?

bombero

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
ok I've replaced the EGR valve with a new one. decided it was probably better to replace then to block it off as I live where it gets -40C regularly..

as soon as I cleared the fault code it returns. I have noticed that it idles alot smoother now.. tried to clear the code with and without the engine running same thing. it returns right away.

The earth and our future generations thank you.:)

webtdi

TDI
2006 Jetta
I've also pulled the airbox and looked at the one ground point. (looked ok.) thinking I'm going to pull the battery box and look at the connection there.

any other ideas why the code wont clear?

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
A "tune" is where the engines operating parameters stored in its ECU are modified from those of the manufacturer. Kermatdi is one and Malone is another of the popular TDI tuning paradigms. A local shop in your area will use either of the two and will "tune" your MY06 Jetta's 1.9 diesel. Cost varies but USD $300 or so is customary.

Our MY06 Jetta received a KermaTDI tune years ago when near new, at 10K miles or so. The tune level chosen was 1+ which is ever-so-slightly more aggressive than the stock VW tune. About 35-45ft lbs more torque, and a slight HP increase without a fuel use penalty.
Fast forward 8 years and 140,000 miles ..... the TDI charges on ...... A nice, fully optioned, under the radar, quality sedan.

Go for it ..
http://www.malonetuning.com

http://www.kermatdi.com

Last edited:

hoyce32

TDI
Golf
TDI Golf running weird

My Golf TDI does not want to get up to speed that fast, just really slow starting off. Then when on highway it sometimes will do 70 mph but will slow down to 60 mph with pedal to the floor. Does anyone know what's wrong? Is it EGR or something else?

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
My Golf TDI does not want to get up to speed that fast, just really slow starting off. Then when on highway it sometimes will do 70 mph but will slow down to 60 mph with pedal to the floor. Does anyone know what's wrong? Is it EGR or something else?
Its considered bad form to tag a new question into an existing thread. Ideally you want to create a new thread as you are more likely to get a response. With that said at a guess I would say your MAF is faulty. You could try unplugging it and see if the engine runs any better. Or depending on how close to Madison WI you are you might want to get an expert to look at it JasonTDI a forum member has a shop in Madison. http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=7479