2002 Jetta TDI, 6 speed DRW, 199,XXX

Boraflux

Whitbread Performance Innovations handled the six speed conversion from

auto as well as custom FMIC.

Engine rebuilt at 135K by Kalvinator racing engines (5/11) - torque plate, blueprinting, balancing, etc. .5mm oversize ASV pistons and Integrated Engineering H beam rods, Colt Cams stage 2 cam, ARP head studs

Purchased in Texas in 2007 and never driven in winter in Michigan.

Very nice condition.

Please see ad:
https://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/6722874959.html

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Nice car, good luck!

Boraflux

Yes, the belt, rollers, etc. were changed when the engine was rebuilt at 135K, so it has another 35K to go until a new belt is required.

InfoSec

Veteran Member
very similar to the one I just sold ('03 w/ 166k miles), except mine had the gtb1756vk. I think you're a little low on the price.

Boraflux

I agree - maybe a little low. Even the mechanic I hired to check the car out before I placed the ad, thought the price was low.

I offered the car for sale last year before I did the brakes and battery for $6850 and had no serious inquiries. No one even set up an appointment to

look at the car.

I really don't get it. There's a ton of time and money in this car and I've put a very fair price on it. Is there something I'm missing???

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
i am already in the process of getting my current MK4 converted to 6spd now so this is too late for me. it's the perfect MK4 build so it will sell soon.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I really don't get it. There's a ton of time and money in this car and I've put a very fair price on it. Is there something I'm missing???
There are a bunch of TDIs on the market right now. Many Mk VI and VII "fixed" Certified VW and Audis with warranties.

That how I got my Mk 4 golf recently. Guy wanted to upgrade so he sold it. I imagine potential buyers are looking at the newer cars instead...

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I agree - maybe a little low. Even the mechanic I hired to check the car out before I placed the ad, thought the price was low.
I offered the car for sale last year before I did the brakes and battery for $6850 and had no serious inquiries. No one even set up an appointment to
look at the car.
As with any modified car, the market becomes slim.

What market is the VW TDI aimed at?
Performance guys or... hippie hypermilers?

I feel the VW TDI market is quite similar to the...Subaru market/culture. The socks with sandals type of person. With the TDIs, there's likely also a bit of "if I drive 42 minutes out of my way, I can save 11 cents/gal on fuel..." or "I wonder if the free-sample-person at Costco will recognize me if I do back for thirds...?"

It's just quite a unique market, and attitudes. I do some work for a...shall we put it, "sane-crazy" woman who owns a 2001 Subaru Forester. Yes, the Forester. She bought it new. Wrangled to the ends of the earth for Subaru to honor all warranties and recalls (head gaskets, catalytic converters, and other), gets every little service done at the dealer, consistently vents about how it's beginning to add up in repair costs, then spends 4 weekends in a row traveling the east coast to pit dealers against each other to save $500 on the new 2019 Forester model coming out. Even though her 2001 got totaled, she refused to buy a 2018, because the 2019s "get 1mpg more, and I only have to wait 2 more months for the 2019s to be released". So for 2 months she drives around with a ripped off fender, and crunched in rear wheel arch. A 60y/o professional, Harvard educated lawyer, with a salary likely brushing against 200k.
She's absolutely your worst nightmare if she ever decided to buy a car used. Absolutely no malicious intent - simply never ending 'idiot questions'. "How do I know it's a good car?" "How do I know this is a fair price?" "How do I know it really gets 45mpg? What if everyone is just lying? 45mpg sounds like a lot. You know my Forester only gets 18mpg." "Would you be available at 4:45Am tomorrow morning to drop it off at 'my guy'? He's a guy I've used for years for my cars. Yeah, after 5AM he gets SUPER busy." "Do you have the CARFAX?" "Oh CARFAX lists dealer maintenance from 2003-2007, so I assume after that it hasn't been maintained?" "BUT THE CARFAX SAYS!"

A lot of the guys on this forum, me included, have their mouths watering over this car, but it's always the same story. "Well my wife says..." or "I wish I could, but I've already got 7!" or "If I had more money..."
Then of course, there's all the people who already have the TDIs they perfectly like, and don't want to go about selling them.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
I can hardly give away the MK4 I have. People are weird these days.

Boraflux

Hey guys,

What do you think of this plan.
Put the car on Ebay with a slightly lower reserve than what I'm asking now and see what happens. So far, a few people have contacted me about the car, but everyone disappears after three days. I concerned that I'm going to be sitting on this car for another winter. What is it going to take to move this thing aside from cutting my asking price in half?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Hey guys,

Put the car on Ebay with a slightly lower reserve than what I'm asking now and see what happens. So far, a few people have contacted me about the car, but everyone disappears after three days. I concerned that I'm going to be sitting on this car for another winter. What is it going to take to move this thing aside from cutting my asking price in half?
I'm still interested in the car.

I've been patiently waiting for the VCDS scan I requested. If this is beyond your abilities we can talk about taking it somewhere so it can be done.

I will send you a message with my phone number. I will be available this afternoon if you want to call.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Hey guys,

you won't have to wait that long.

are you heading towards CT any time soon or would driving here or closer then flying back be an option?