What does it mean?

fairbanks

Veteran Member
TDI
‘14 Passat TDI SEL ‘14 Jetta Sport Wagon ‘14 Passat TDI SEL
When after replacing the cam, the water pump, and timing belt, I tighten the belt tensioner, lock it down perfectly centered. And in the course of hand rotation (clockwise) the belt tightens, indicator is even more to the right?
Help?!

Last edited:

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Must be a slow day here. I'm not an expert but I've done mine twice with a third upcoming. As long as the indicator is still in the window, and you used the tools and followed the procedures, its should be fine. see the 5th post here, BEW engines are also PD engines and use the same timing procedure: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=235129

Last edited:

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
I've done mine twice and never had that problem. Did you have the three camshaft sprocket bolts loose when you set the tension?

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
The tensioner indicator arm will move some when rotating the engine as compression builds in the cylinders and the force to turn the crank and cam by hand increases and decreases as compression is released.

All of the spring loaded tensioners do this. Just make sure the ear of the tensioner is in the hole properly, that the 3 cam sprocket bolts are loose and cam pinned and crank pinned when you tension it clockwise, then torque the 3 cam sprocket bolts to spec, remove cam and crank locks, and rotate by hand 2 revolutions. You will see the indicator move in the window some while you rotate.