Newbies and Vets: Tips for better fuel economy!

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
Before I bought Jake (new, tyvm), I had visions of numerous mods including an aftermarket air handling device like a K&N. I received several strong advisories to stick with the stock air filter set-up and read ample material on the subject I found through a search, here and elsewhere.

Rice is good at weddings, but not for a TDI.

zachmain02 said:
"If you are running a cone filter (like K&N) you don't even have to check it, it's probably bad already. A stock air filter flows better than a K&N and it won't kill your sensor." - BleachedBora

i have read that the K&N filters flow better, not worse. dont care to argue the point, i just have a K&N and am wondering if i should take it out to save the MAF. anyone have a good pros/cons of K&N vs. stock?

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
deezulmark said:
Just ran across this thread. Thanks BB for the cetane #s reported by the various brands. Anybody know Walmart's supplier and cetane? They're always way cheaper than anybody else in town. Usually have been doing Flying J on trips as they're cheapest, but now I know to try BP and Shell and see.

Now if they would quit making diesel so much more expensive than gas! But then it is winter, so home heating oil demand pushes it up to some extent.
No problem--if you email Walmart and get cetane information I'll gladly add it to the list.
-BB

cDubs

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Anyone have Cetane info for RaceTrac stations in Florida? I can't even find a company website :confused:

andrew4

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (Manual)
I'm new. I've seen somewhere in this forum that 1500-2500 rpm is the "optimal" range. I have always thought that the highest gear I can be in without the car struggling much (shaking) is the best for gas mileage. For example, I can usually be in fifth gear going between 35-40 mph, which puts me at about 1300 rpms. Would it be more fuel efficient to drive this speed in fourth gear? Is it hard on the car in any way to drive that speed in fifth gear? Thank you!

andrew4

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
andrew4 said:
I'm new. I've seen somewhere in this forum that 1500-2500 rpm is the "optimal" range. I have always thought that the highest gear I can be in without the car struggling much (shaking) is the best for gas mileage. For example, I can usually be in fifth gear going between 35-40 mph, which puts me at about 1300 rpms. Would it be more fuel efficient to drive this speed in fourth gear? Is it hard on the car in any way to drive that speed in fifth gear? Thank you!

andrew4
NO if you are not accelerating , running on flat or up or down a slight grade 1,300 is well within design spec . So staying in high gear when conditions allow is always the most efficient unless you could coast farther in "N" then just staying in gear . 1,200-2,500 rpms is exactly where these things are designed to run most efficiently .

zachmain02

TDI
06 Jetta
cruising at high 70s to 80 puts me at just under 3,000 rpms. anyone know the drop in fuel economy when you reach 3,000?

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
andrew4 said:
Would it be more fuel efficient to drive this speed in fourth gear?
A scangauge would show which is more fuel efficent instantly. The highest possible gear without severe lugging is allways the most efficient. The scangauge agrees also, but you have to use common sense with the scangauge... for example:

on level ground I set cruise in fifth gear at 50km/h and the engine will turn at around 1100rpm and I use 3L/100k
On my way home there is a hill where if usually drive 50km/h...
Third gear = 1900rpm = 12L/100km reported by scanguage on this hill. nice and smooth climb.
Fourth gear = <1400rpm = 10L/100km but the engine seems to be operating too close to its "lug limit" for comfort.

So is it worth saving 15 to 20 percent on fuel on steepish hills? Probably not for me. I take the hill in 3rd.

Personally use the highest possible gear as soon as possible but I don't climb real "hills" below 1500rpm.

Last edited:

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
zachmain02 said:
cruising at high 70s to 80 puts me at just under 3,000 rpms. anyone know the drop in fuel economy when you reach 3,000?
Its not the RPMs that get you at those speeds, its the laws of physics. Anything over 55mph or 90kph and you are wasting fuel IMO.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
NarfBLAST said:
Its not the RPMs that get you at those speeds, its the laws of physics. Anything over 55mph or 90kph and you are wasting fuel IMO.
It all depends on how valuable your time is.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Gothmolly said:
No, it doesn't. If Narf had claimed that you are wasting money, then your counter-claim would be correct, but he didn't. Fuel is fuel, and its usage is strictly dictated by physics.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
nicklockard said:
No, it doesn't. If Narf had claimed that you are wasting money, then your counter-claim would be correct, but he didn't. Fuel is fuel, and its usage is strictly dictated by physics.
Thanks Nick, that is exactly what I was referring to: the diminishing returns that happen after a certain speed. I'm talking about fuel economy vs speed and how it generally peaks at 55 (90) for most vehicles

I just finished a rant about speed in another thread here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2172742&postcount=18

I think I will need to make a chart to help me get to sleep tonight.

Last edited:

DieselAlles

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 5sp
Gothmolly said:
Time it takes to travel 30 miles...

55 MPH = 33 minutes
60 MPH = 30 minutes
65 MPH = 28 minutes
70 MPH = 26 minutes
75 MPH = 24 minutes

FWIW, you gain only 4 minutes traveling 70 over 60 MPH over a 30 mile distance.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
DieselAlles said:
Time it takes to travel 30 miles...

55 MPH = 33 minutes
60 MPH = 30 minutes
65 MPH = 28 minutes
70 MPH = 26 minutes
75 MPH = 24 minutes

FWIW, you gain only 4 minutes traveling 70 over 60 MPH over a 30 mile distance.
And for a whole day's driving...

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bob_Fout said:
And for a whole day's driving...
you need to add 80 mph to that list .................

1,800 miles @ 75-80.................. 24-22.5 hours of travel time

................@ 55-60.................. 32.7-30 hours of travel time

10 hours saved from one extreme to the other , now that is a real cost for slowing . An extra 10 hours adds at least another day in a hotel nothing saved by this .

By the way in my Passat TDI I get a consistant ~50 mpgUS in the 75 -80 mph range during a trip like described .

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
rotarykid said:
you need to add 80 mph to that list .................

1,800 miles @ 75-80.................. 24-22.5 hours of travel time

................@ 55-60.................. 32.7-30 hours of travel time

10 hours saved from one extreme to the other , now that is a real cost for slowing . An extra 10 hours adds at least another day in a hotel nothing saved by this .

By the way in my Passat TDI I get a consistant ~50 mpgUS in the 75 -80 mph range during a trip like described .
I think some to a lot of folks have done this, but I have gone 1000 plus miles in a day on a cross country trip.

zachmain02

TDI
06 Jetta
rotarykid said:
do you have anything special on that engine or is it a stock TDI? I have an 06 jetta TDI and i am getting about 38 MPG on mixed freeway city driving. just replaced a fairly dirty air filter, hoping that makes a difference! if it doesnt i am going for the feul filter and the MAF.
ill keep you guys posted.

i replaced the filter with a K&N, dont know if that will make a difference over stock or not.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
zachmain02 said:
do you have anything special on that engine or is it a stock TDI? I have an 06 jetta TDI and i am getting about 38 MPG on mixed freeway city driving. just replaced a fairly dirty air filter, hoping that makes a difference! if it doesn't i am going for the fuel filter and the MAF.
ill keep you guys posted.

i replaced the filter with a K&N, don't know if that will make a difference over stock or not.
I have a different engine than you do , a much more fuel efficient one . I've also made gearing & timing mods ..

The best thing you can do is change driving style as that is the best place to look for improved mpgs ,,.... Good luck

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Only recommendation is drop the K&N then change the MAF as it's probably shot already...As RK said can't compare your two Passats as his is much lighter, has a smaller engine and is set up for ecnonomy.

What speeds are you going? Tire pressure? Fuel? As you know everything adds up!
Good luck!
-BB

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Cetane Levels vs MPG

So one thing that has stuck out in this thread for me are the cetane levels from the various brands we buy our go-juice from. Now my question is this. How much of an impact does this have on fuel economy? I haven't seen any figurative or literal numbers or percentages. I'm quite curious as to price premiums vs. savings on fuel economy and seeing how long it would then take if I did any further mods (I do mostly freeway driving so a 5th gear swap is quite enticing).

PS - I love the collaborative environment and collective knowledge resource I'm continually seeing here. Thanks for helping new folk.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Digital Corpus said:
So one thing that has stuck out in this thread for me are the cetane levels from the various brands we buy our go-juice from. Now my question is this. How much of an impact does this have on fuel economy? I haven't seen any figurative or literal numbers or percentages. I'm quite curious as to price premiums vs. savings on fuel economy and seeing how long it would then take if I did any further mods (I do mostly freeway driving so a 5th gear swap is quite enticing).
Cetane is a freaking mystery, even the the big oil companies aren't really sure what the ratings are for their fuels... see my thread for cetane in Canada: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=210677 The only thing they are sure about is that it is "Minimum 40" because that is the mandated minimum. Rediculous. My point is that they (petroleum providers) seem to think "diesels will burn anything, and diesel drivers don't care what goes in."

So my point is that even if cetane rating did effect fuel economy, how would know who has the highest rating? Cetane rating is very complicated, so complicated as to be totally useless as a rating, this is what I have learned from my attempt at research... I try not to think about it anymore:eek:

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Chemistry can be as much an art as it is a science though. I want to do some tests myself as all my fillup locations within my normal route or shortly outside of it are within 15 cents of each other with the mean @ $5. Only thing is with teh more I'm understanding about diesel the more complicated this will be since it'll be in the triple digits in 2 months, about 3 fill ups from now. Though I did see the "FAT mod" by changing air temp and fuel temp sensors out with a pair of resistors which would virtually eliminate temperature as a variable.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Loyalty TDi w/ DSG
Thanks for these wonderful tips. Last year I was getting 600+ MP Tank and this year I'm getting around 550 MP Tank. I would love to some day get 700 MP Tank but I don't believe it will be possible with my '06 TDi. I'm a bit discouraged that it doesn't get as good mileage as my '82 Jetta diesel. Almost 3 decades past and the fuel economy went down. I do love the power and torque though.

Maillemann

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Passat
There's a lot of tangents in this thread, but getting back to a list of sorts...
Nothing I mention here is new or extraordinary. Pick up a magazine article or book from the 1930's, 50's, 70's, etc., and it's there. I don't advocate risking safety for other potential gains but remember that driving itself is an assumed risk - there are dangers and if you know them you can do your best to reduce the risks. Some people are willing to assume more risks than others, so, as they say, "your mileage may vary".

1. MAINTENANCE! Basic, boring, routine maintenance is key. Know your vehicle. Know how it works, how it's supposed to run, what's normal and what's not. Knowledge is power.

A. Change the filters and fluids, use the proper oil, check the timing, make sure your brakes aren't dragging, inspect, inspect, inspect.

B. Keep the tires properly inflated and your wheels aligned. Keep a decent set of treads and good suspension - it's safer and will allow you to confidently keep more speed through the turns (which in turn means less braking. See #4).

C. Listen to your car. Turn the radio off sometimes while driving and just listen - learn to recognize how your car normally sounds and behaves and you'll save yourself headache later.

2. Light is right. This came out of a book I once read somewhere, the author having quoted a race car driver of note. This has two valuable meanings for us - firstly (as they meant it) that your ride should feel "happy". Sometimes this means changing gears, sometimes changing speed (up or down) a MPH or two (or five or six), but never forcing it to do something that it just doesn't seem willing to do easily. Secondly, the literal transalation - reduce unneeded load. I'm not suggesting you toss out the spare tire (I consider that "needed") but if you golf only on Saturdays why drive around with your clubs in the trunk all week?

3. Slow down. You've heard it before. Many times. It's simple. Many of you find the idea objectionable, horrifying, even downright blasphemous, but if you really want those big numbers, do it. (It's really quite easy).

4. NEVER use your brakes. Important exceptions: If you intend to stop fully, must adjust speed immediately and unexpectedly (someone cuts you off), or generally must cede to the laws of safety and sanity. Look ahead and be aware! On my daily 35 mile round-trip commute (excluding of course the above exceptions) I apply the brakes exactly TEN times, all of which are for full stops. Know your route and anticipate, using gearing and coasting to slow. Once you start driving this way you will despise those who drive in front of you, riding their brakes down hills and even up (!) them.

5. Get a TDIheater. This goes especially for those of us in colder climes, but your engine will thank you for it wherever you are, and you'll better your MPG to boot (assuming you remembered to plug it in).

6. Accesories. Don't use them. A/C? What's that? Oh, right, that annoying tangle of junk that takes up space in the engine compartment and weighs far too much...

6. Consider various mods. Most of these have been mentioned or covered already, but nozzles are a good place to start.

I have a '96 B4 Passat, very lightly modded, and if it doesn't return high 50's or low 60's something is wrong. Fuel log here to view if you wish.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Loyalty TDi w/ DSG
Maillemann said:
There's a lot of tangents in this thread, but getting back to a list of sorts...
Nothing I mention here is new or extraordinary. Pick up a magazine article or book from the 1930's, 50's, 70's, etc., and it's there. I don't advocate risking safety for other potential gains but remember that driving itself is an assumed risk - there are dangers and if you know them you can do your best to reduce the risks. Some people are willing to assume more risks than others, so, as they say, "your mileage may vary".

1. MAINTENANCE! Basic, boring, routine maintenance is key. Know your vehicle. Know how it works, how it's supposed to run, what's normal and what's not. Knowledge is power.

A. Change the filters and fluids, use the proper oil, check the timing, make sure your brakes aren't dragging, inspect, inspect, inspect.

B. Keep the tires properly inflated and your wheels aligned. Keep a decent set of treads and good suspension - it's safer and will allow you to confidently keep more speed through the turns (which in turn means less braking. See #4).

C. Listen to your car. Turn the radio off sometimes while driving and just listen - learn to recognize how your car normally sounds and behaves and you'll save yourself headache later.

2. Light is right. This came out of a book I once read somewhere, the author having quoted a race car driver of note. This has two valuable meanings for us - firstly (as they meant it) that your ride should feel "happy". Sometimes this means changing gears, sometimes changing speed (up or down) a MPH or two (or five or six), but never forcing it to do something that it just doesn't seem willing to do easily. Secondly, the literal transalation - reduce unneeded load. I'm not suggesting you toss out the spare tire (I consider that "needed") but if you golf only on Saturdays why drive around with your clubs in the trunk all week?

3. Slow down. You've heard it before. Many times. It's simple. Many of you find the idea objectionable, horrifying, even downright blasphemous, but if you really want those big numbers, do it. (It's really quite easy).

4. NEVER use your brakes. Important exceptions: If you intend to stop fully, must adjust speed immediately and unexpectedly (someone cuts you off), or generally must cede to the laws of safety and sanity. Look ahead and be aware! On my daily 35 mile round-trip commute (excluding of course the above exceptions) I apply the brakes exactly TEN times, all of which are for full stops. Know your route and anticipate, using gearing and coasting to slow. Once you start driving this way you will despise those who drive in front of you, riding their brakes down hills and even up (!) them.

5. Get a TDIheater. This goes especially for those of us in colder climes, but your engine will thank you for it wherever you are, and you'll better your MPG to boot (assuming you remembered to plug it in).

6. Accesories. Don't use them. A/C? What's that? Oh, right, that annoying tangle of junk that takes up space in the engine compartment and weighs far too much...

6. Consider various mods. Most of these have been mentioned or covered already, but nozzles are a good place to start.

I have a '96 B4 Passat, very lightly modded, and if it doesn't return high 50's or low 60's something is wrong. Fuel log here to view if you wish.
Thanks for the helpful tips again. I do almost all of these things and I still believe that my '06 TDi just is not designed to get much better than 650 per tank. How much better mileage will I expect to get with age? I only have 24,000 miles.

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
Maillemann said:

This is a great list! :) It and many other threads have me a little confused, though. I'm driving a slushbox PD. Mileage I see on this site makes me envoius. I have posted about it before and the general consensus is that my mileage is pretty good for my car. I have a couple of questions:

What do you consider 'proper' tire press? My door sticker says 33 frt and 42 rear. I was running about 35/44 but the center of my tires started to wear so I dropped down to 34/42. Had the car to the dealer for a suspension shake-down and they changed all tires to 32!

On listening to the car...how can you drive a TDI and not do this! It is addictive! I have put a post out about turbo sound. Having a VGT I can understand the change in pitch as I accelerate. I have also noticed what sounds like rapid spooling when accelerating from a consistent speed. I have the feeling from the site that maybe I accelerate a little too quickly. What happens here and how does it impact economy? Also when i take my foot off the accelerator completely as in going down a steep hill I notice what sounds almost like a 'sucking' sound or a drop in impeller speed. Is this normal?

Speed! I know I drive too fast for economy. Is there an ideal speed or rpm range known for a slushbox PD? I don't have the option that gives mileage, etc. Can this be added to a car that was not built with it. How involved would it be?

Is a TDI heater only for winter? Is this like an engine block heater?

I run A/C as little as possible, but I think it has been proven that at highway speeds you're better off to run the A/C than have the drag of windows, sunroof, etc open? Thoughts?

Mods...I don't think I have any. Is there an easy way to check nozzles? When you mention this to you mean to increase or decrease the size?

I know I'll probably take a beating for this, but...I currently don't have a bottom engine cover (realized when I changed oil) too late to go back on the dealer (I didn't know one should be there when I bought it). Does this have an impact on drag, heat, etc. Should I definitely replace with a skidplate? Are they much more pricey than the $70 the stealer wants for a new cover?

And finally....should I manually shift of let the slushbox do it's job? Most of the posts and threads that speak of shifting seem to be related to manuals...any of this apply to auto's? when references are made to shifting at xxxx rpm for economy what is the reason? to allow the boost to increase first? I don't fully understand the impact on mileage!

Sorry to be so long winded. I have been scratching around for info and am just feeling somewhat confused! :confused: Thanks in advance for your time!

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Once the structural choice has been made, (slushbox) the rest of the stuff falls in line. (from that choice). So comparing it to a 5 speed manual will generate a lot free floating anxiety, which in effect you can do not much about.

As to tire pressure, unless you run your car FULLY LOADED down, I would go to 38 psi all around, to 38-36 fronts and 38-34 rears. Best of luck!

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
ruking said:
Once the structural choice has been made (slushbox) the rest of the stuff falls in line. (from that choice). So comparing it to a 5 speed manual will generate a lot free floating anxiety which in effect you can do not much about.

As to tire pressure, unless you run your car FULLY LOADED down, I would go to 38 psi all around, to 38-36 fronts and 38-34 rears. Best of luck!
I do realize this. Unfortunately my bride does not drive a stick and I have not yet convinced her to learn. Maybe one day a DSG will provide middle ground.

On the pressure...any idea why VW recommends soooo high on the rear. I thought that seemed awful high ever since I got the car.

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
Oh, also. I don't really want to compare my MPG to the manuals...I just want to know that I am getting out of it the best it can do. :)

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04SlvrJetta said:
I do realize this. Unfortunately my bride does not drive a stick and I have not yet convinced her to learn. Maybe one day a DSG will provide middle ground.

On the pressure...any idea why VW recommends soooo high on the rear. I thought that seemed awful high ever since I got the car.
Not sure if your sticker differentiates this (mine does, as do most that I have seen) but the higher pressure IS recommended for HIGHER (full) loads. SO............ if you run half to no loads......

Really, no wonder why your centers are wearing faster!!??