Oil for 2005 Passat TDI

ALVWTDI

TDI
2005 Passat
I just bought a used 2005 Passat 2.0L TDI. I will soon need to change the oil. I looked for the oil types listed in the TDI forum, but can's seem to find the exact match. I found an oil from Mobil, (synthetic), called Turbo-Diesel, but it seems like it is meant more for trucks. It is rated CH-4. I went out to Mobil's website and looked up this product and found where someone had asked if this oil met VW 502.00 standards and the reply was no. Should I use this oil in my car?

Also, I found an oil called Mobil Delvac 1300, (synthetic), but the weight is 15w-40, not the 5w-40 recommended in the forum. This oil also had a rating of CH-4. I live in Alabama so I wonder if it is ok to use this weight oil since it never really gets that cold here? If both oils will work for my car, which would be the better choice?

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Use an oil rated for VW 505.01 service as noted in the owners manual. M1 TDT 5W 40 is very good, and many here use it, but it has no VW certification, which doesn't mean it is not good.

There is a Fuels and Lubricants section here (you are in it) that has 2,456,789 threads on "which oil". Check it out.

Also, all the recommended vendors here sell oil change kits that come with oil and filters for these cars. Look at idparts.com and boraparts.com for some help.

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I just bought a used 2005 Passat 2.0L TDI. I will soon need to change the oil. I looked for the oil types listed in the TDI forum, but can's seem to find the exact match. I found an oil from Mobil, (synthetic), called Turbo-Diesel, but it seems like it is meant more for trucks. It is rated CH-4. I went out to Mobil's website and looked up this product and found where someone had asked if this oil met VW 502.00 standards and the reply was no. Should I use this oil in my car?
Yes, people appear to be having good success with this oil even though it does not meet the spec for the car. (I'm assuming your warranty is long gone). Oil can be found at many Walmarts in gallon size containers. I think it's around $26 now. It's 5W40, Turbodiesel truck. The newest bottle looks a bit different compared to this one:

Clayslayer

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta and a 1977 Ford F-150 with a 4BT Cummins
I like the Mobil 1 stuff too. I also use Shell Rotella T6. I've always used synthetic 5w-40 oil in my car. 300,000 miles and counting.