Wiper Switch Bypass?

Blockman

TDI
A3
My wiper switch is non functional and the wipers run continuously. I do not have time to change the wiper stalk switch and need a quick fix until i have more time. Can i place a fuse tap in the existing fuse location and add a simple toggle switch as a short term fix.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
It looks like pulling fuse #5 (15 ampere) will shut off all power to the wipers. A pair of fuse taps on a burned out fuse (to hold the taps in place) in position #5, and the taps then leading to a good in-line fuse and in-line switch should work indefinitely.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Next time I'm at my storage unit I will see if I have any mk3 wiper switches. If so its yours for the cost of shipping.

I would guess the total time for replacing the stalk is 15-20 minutes.

Yank the air bag...5mm allen wrench
pull the steering wheel....24mm socket
pull off the steering column trim (not certain may a couple screws and you may have to pull the knee bar cover)

Then its just 3 screws for the switch and a plug.

Being in my ultra busy season at work I can understand not having 20 minutes but the 20 minutes is probably also required for the fuse/switch trick.

Just yank the fuse until you get time to repair it correctly :)

Blockman

TDI
A3
I appreciate the offer for the switch :D ...will gladly pay shipping costs. The real surprise is that this is a 20 min job. I read an old thread and it took 2 hours for this process ? Either way i will patch with a inline tap until i get a proper switch to replace.

Thanks again for the willingness to share your parts and knowledge. :cool:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Blockman said:
I appreciate the offer for the switch :D ...will gladly pay shipping costs. The real surprise is that this is a 20 min job. I read an old thread and it took 2 hours for this process ? Either way i will patch with a inline tap until i get a proper switch to replace.

Thanks again for the willingness to share your parts and knowledge. :cool:
G60ing is wrong. It is actually a four hour job (including beer drinking, Chips & BSing) and don't you be tellin my wife anything different ;) . Rookies :D .