VW Long Life III 5W-30 vs Castrol Edge Professional 5W30

cgentil

TDI
Golf 7
Hi,

What's the difference VW Long Life III 5W-30 between Castrol Edge Professional 5W30, is there any difference?

Which one is better?

Thanks.

Atlas

TDI
'15 Jetta TDI
Realistically it all depends on your climate. I know with Castrol edge, they say you can go for 10000km (6 months) between oil changes.....maybe in California where the temp is more stable all year around and not 9 months of winter where I'm from.. I feel oil is oil but synthetic is better than conventional. Stick with whatever is recommended in your manual or by dealership. In my case it is the castrol edge.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
The Long Life III oil is a VW 504/507 rated low/mid SAPS product intended for use in vehicles that require an oil with low metallic content. This is to preserve the exhaust emissions systems.

The Castrol Edge Professional is a VW 502/505 rated mid/high SAPS product that is intended for vehicles that are not equipped with the sensitive exhaust systems.

The newer diesels with particulate filters and aqueous urea injections systems need the lower SAPS oils to help their systems last longer.

If your vehicle doesn't specifically call for 504/507 oil then I would use the normal 502/505 product.