Rod/Main bearing replacement opinions

dieselolds

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 1.9L
Hi to everyone.I'm repairing a 06 jetta with the BRM engine code for a friend of mine.I just installed a new EGR cooler,installed intake/exhaust manifold gaskets,cleaned all the gunk out of the intake manifold,EGR passages and buttoned everything back up today.

This engine has a badly worn cam lobe(lobe closest to the timing belt)and metal was found within the cylinder head when using a telescopic magnet.I flushed the head with some parts cleaner,removed the oil pan and also cleaned that out.It's now crystal clean.

This engine has 185,000KM on it.Have any of you guys replaced rod/main bearings while doing a camshaft replacement?I have a new camshaft kit on the way and will probably do this early next week.I have'nt checked any of the bearings.I did find some metal particles in the pan while cleaning it out and some slight metal particles up in the oil pump pickup screen.Maybe thats when I flushed things with parts cleaner and everything from the top end found its way into the oil pan.

On another note,all that wear from the camshaft/lifter area has to mix with the engine oil and be pumped throughout the rod/main bearings.Those metal particles have to go somewhere.

Any opinions,suggestions is always appreciated.

Thanks.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Oil supply to the main and rod bearings has ALL gone through the oil filter ... unless it was clogged. Debris from the camshaft shouldn't make it to the main and rod bearings.

VW TDI engines aren't known for eating up main and rod bearings, even in cases where a camshaft and lifter have completely failed (holed lifter).

dieselolds

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 1.9L
Thanks for the response.I will say that the two small inside bolts at the rear of the oil pan are not easy to get out.I did get them out and all,but space is really limited.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Indeed, don't forget that all your oil is being filtered. If you're curious, cut apart your oil filter and inspect it. Shiny shavings might be there, you'll see them despite of the fact that the filter will be black. WARNING: messy job!

Personally I like the idea of magnetic oil drain plug. It catches all ferrous particles and prevents them from circulating back and forth inside the system. I recommend this to all my friends, unfortunately, no one wants to install one; not sure why...

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
I had reason to pull the pistons/rods in my high mileage BRM after having eaten two cams, one had extremely flat lobes. The rod bearings showed no sign of damage of any kind and I didn't replace them even though they also had nearly 200K miles on them. However, the oil pump pickup screen was full of debris including a small spring (presumably out of a holed lifter).

I would say that lower end bearings should not be a concern after cam failure.