Has anyone used flashzilla ?

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
I really want to add a Malone tune back on the 2014 JSW TDI, but I know that VW will eventually get around to messing with the software to meet the emission requirements, so I'm thinking that going with flashzilla would be the right thing to do. If I understand what the advert says, I can get the Flashzilla and purchase the Malone tune, then when I take the car into the dealer for the "fix" I can unload the tune back onto Flashzilla and reload it onto my JSW after VW is through messing with it. Am I on track with my thinking? And if anyone has used the flashzilla on a 2014 (which apparently has a few extra issues) would you please any information that you think would be helpful

Thanks

Stan

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Nothing special about using the device on a 2014, it works on all newer diesels with the exception of 09-10 touaregs. Yes you're correct in your logic, however any form of port flashing will increase the flash counter. If you religiously service the car at the dealer, and they keep seeing different flash count values, they might get suspicious. Given this fiasco VW isn't really in a position to blatantly call people out for unapproved software on their vehicles, but if warranty is a concern it'd be best to keep the flashes to a minimum.

Reverting back to stock and erasing the device when going in for the big fix, which is not yet approved, would be best.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
Owain, I'm not really concerned about warranty issues, as the car has about 70,000 miles on it, so it's well out of warranty. I've sent you an email to the Malone site requesting information on purchasing the flashzilla and a Malone tune.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I flashed my 11 with flashzilla, no issue

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
Does Flashzilla have the ability to copy the current firmware on the car? So for example if I take my tdi in for the diesel gate factory fix (the software portion) and I dislike the results, could I then use flashzilla to put the original firmware back on?

I know that I can put the aftermarket tune on, but I want to know if the above is possible?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
No, it can only ID the ECU and that's compared to a database, it does not read the file. There are some tuners claiming they'll send you a "custom tune" for these cars. That's only the case if you have a back and forth conversation and exchange data logs etc.

We don't plan on reversing a federally mandated emissions update either, although we do sell tunes for race/offroad use that're night and day over stock, or can do something mild to offset the decreases from updates while keeping regen frequency etc the same.