First dose of winter arrived. Heated mirrors?

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Well we had our first "real" dose of winter last night. woke up with a good 3 maybe 4" of snow on the car. door handles were a little frozen but no problem getting into the car. :D temps were high 20's so not bone chilling cold.

One thing I noticed Is I miss my heated side mirrors :mad: is that an option on the SEL? I dont' think it was, but wasn't sure. are their any VW mirrors that could possibly swap in to have this feature or am I just stuck with it. it's not a huge deal but it would be convenient to have.

Stock tires did "ok" on the slick at times roads. Never really slid much at all but I also wasn't trying very hard. Saw about 4 accidents on the way to work including watching a truck going the other way break loose and do a complete 360 into the ditch.

I should have my alpin's on in the next week or so. :cool:

FormerGasser

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
Turn your mirror adjustment knob all the towards the front of the car.

Edit: I believe they also come on when the rear defroster is on but can't remember for sure.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Turn your mirror adjustment knob all the towards the front of the car.

Edit: I believe they also come on when the rear defroster is on but can't remember for sure.
Really? I will have to look at that. I have an SE sun+nav though not an SEL. so hopefully that doesn't make a difference?

I did use the rear defroster a few times and didn't notice any effect on the side mirrors.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Just checked VW site.

Power-operated, heated side mirrors with integrated turn signals
Heated windshield washer nozzles

Now I just need to figure out how it works. lol. Must be on the switch to adjust them. need to go down and look at it.

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
There is a heat symbol on the mirror adjusting knob. Turn to that position.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
There is an option to change in VCDS to turn on the side mirror heat with rear defrost, but it not enabled by the factory.

Look at the side mirror adjustment knob:

Rotate it such that the selection indicator is facing the front of the car.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
awesome that makes me happy that we have that feature. I figured we should but I know VW was penny pinching on this car a bit so thought maybe it got axed.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Love the heated mirrors! They work very quickly.

Also, you lucky dog, Chad - I hope we get a ton of snow here this year. :D

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Love the heated mirrors! They work very quickly.

Also, you lucky dog, Chad - I hope we get a ton of snow here this year. :D
Good to hear. My mirrors were really iced up and I was pretty annoyed and missing my subaru at that moment.

I love the snow too. we are supposed to get another 2-4" tonight. so tomorrow's commute should be much worse :eek:

I'm just hoping that once I get my Alpin's on I will be able to tackle most all conditions and not regret getting rid of the AWD subaru.

Almost time to head up and go skiing. :cool:

FormerGasser

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
Forecasts have gone down since yesterday.....I think we'll be lucky to see 1-3 more. Not to mention, the roads are still pretty warm from the toasty fall we've had so I doubt it'll stick.

My since deceased Jetta did quite well in the monster storm we got last February (we had ~30 inches in Rox Park), so I wouldn't worry about the Passat.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
Forecasts have gone down since yesterday.....I think we'll be lucky to see 1-3 more. Not to mention, the roads are still pretty warm from the toasty fall we've had so I doubt it'll stick.

My since deceased Jetta did quite well in the monster storm we got last February (we had ~30 inches in Rox Park), so I wouldn't worry about the Passat.
yeah with the cooler temps today I suspect the roads will be a little more sketch tomorrow morning than this morning.

It doesn't take much to turn my 47 mile commute from 1hr to 2hrs. Just the rain last night before it turned to snow made my drive home almost 2hrs :mad:

FormerGasser

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
yeah with the cooler temps today I suspect the roads will be a little more sketch tomorrow morning than this morning.

It doesn't take much to turn my 47 mile commute from 1hr to 2hrs. Just the rain last night before it turned to snow made my drive home almost 2hrs :mad:
I hear that.....picked up my new Passat yesterday and had to deal with the stop and go on 25 due to the "heavy" rain.

oldstreetracer

TDI
2013 Passat SE
Does anyone know if the side view mirrors are on a timer? A lot of times I forget to turn the knob back to the mirror lock position and was wondering if they were staying on all the time or even turning back on after I start the car each time I leave it in the defrost position?

Ristocracy

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4dr HB DSG w/Tech Package
No timer on the mirrors. I remember the manual specifically states to turn it off when not required or it would reduce your mpgs.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The side mirrors will only heat when the glass is below a certain temperature. Interestingly enough, the heated seats work similarly.

That said, I would recommend only using the mirror heat when necessary to avoid unnecessary wear on the heating elements. If you're the forgetful type, you can combine the mirror power with the rear defrost in VCDS.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
No timer on the mirrors. I remember the manual specifically states to turn it off when not required or it would reduce your mpgs.
I really don't think leaving your heated mirrors on will reduce MPG at all

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
No, but there are many many TDIs out there with burnt-out heated mirrors because they were accidentally left on for long periods of time. :)

TurboDieselPoint

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE 6-Speed Manual
Is this true? Prove it.
Lol, the idea is to encourage the TDI MPG freaks to not leave their heated mirrors on for too long, so rather than those folks it could burn up, VW just says it decreases MPG so they will actually pay attention!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Is this true? Prove it.
Um.... is it false?? Prove it. :)

Not sure why I'm bothering, but in case Search ever leads anyone back here:

VW mechanic Oilhammer, posting about typical VW problems he sees and why, about 1/2 way thru post number 1: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=189029

Post #1 here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=44581

Post #3 here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=335270

Post #5 here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299865

etc etc etc

oldstreetracer

TDI
2013 Passat SE
I actually run a glass encapsulation plant that supplies all the OEM's and I can tell you the side door roll up glass does not have any kind of thermo couples in them that would be able to sense temp, my guess is that the side mirror defrost may go off the car outside temp sensor. I like the idea of running it off the defrost though, will that also turn it off when the rear window turns off?

The side mirrors will only heat when the glass is below a certain temperature. Interestingly enough, the heated seats work similarly.

That said, I would recommend only using the mirror heat when necessary to avoid unnecessary wear on the heating elements. If you're the forgetful type, you can combine the mirror power with the rear defrost in VCDS.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yes it will turn off automatically with the rear defrost timer if you enable that mode.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
On one car I had, when you turned on the rear defog, the RPM would blip lower as the load came on, then adjust back to normal, so I'd say that would decrease fuel economy. I'm sure the outside rear view mirrors draw less juice than a rear defog, but they probably would effect MPG.

Don

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Any additional electrical load will require the engine to burn more fuel.