Appears to be a Fix for Gen 1 cars! Gen 2-3 are Software.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Then there is the 11 year 162,000 mile VW warranty for us naughty boys.
That's for gen3. Gen 2 got even less warranty. Haven't seen what gen1 would be.

This is VW here, they will warrant it up to a point.

The way gen3 got their warranty it points to the DPF lasting about 80k. If you have fewer than a certain number of miles (60k?) they will not replace the filter on gen3 (they will have you come back later) - this points to to them not wanting to replace it again within 100k.

And short trips fill the filter up quicker as you can't complete the cleaning/burn cycle.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
That's for gen3. Gen 2 got even less warranty. Haven't seen what gen1 would be.

This is VW here, they will warrant it up to a point.

The way gen3 got their warranty it points to the DPF lasting about 80k. If you have fewer than a certain number of miles (60k?) they will not replace the filter on gen3 (they will have you come back later) - this points to to them not wanting to replace it again within 100k.

And short trips fill the filter up quicker as you can't complete the cleaning/burn cycle.

I was half-cocked, and I stand corrected.

Only to add ~~ in my particular situation ~~ having 5K miles on the odo ~~ ageing fast ~~ health going down exponentially ~~ somewhat mute for me ~~ with my GEN 3

Again I stand corrected --- :eek:

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Gen 1:

"Extended Emissions Warranty shall be the greater of:

10 years 6 months or 126,000 miles from original service date.

or

4 years 6 months or 54,000 miles from the date of modification"

4i1brow

TDI
2013 Golf 3-Door TDI
I have an appointment Monday

Mfr Campaign/Safety Recall Notice:69M9 -ManufacturerCampaignId:69M9 Takata has reported that the driver frontal airbag inflator could potentially rupture (due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute high humidity and temperature cycling) if the vehicle is involved in a crash where the frontal airbags are designed to deploy. In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the airbag cushion material, which may result in serious injury or death to vehicle occupants. Takata ha informado que el inflador de la bolsa de aire delantera del pasajero puede romperse (debido a la degradacion del propelente luego de una exposicion prolongada a una elevada humedad absoluta y a los diferentes ciclos de temperatura) si el vehiculo se ve envuelto en un accidente que deberia provocar el despliegue de las bolsas de aire delanteras del pasajero. En caso de una ruptura del inflador, fragmentos de metal podrian atravesar el cojin de la bolsa de aire y provocar lesiones graves o la muerte a los ocupantes del vehiculo. To address this defect, your authorized Volkswagen dealer will perform an interim repair to replace the driver frontal airbag inflator with a newly manufactured version. Para abordar este defecto, su concesionario Volkswagen autorizado se encargara de realizar una reparacion provisoria para reemplazar el inflador de la bolsa de aire delantera del conductor por una nueva version. As reported by Takata: In the event of an inflator rupture, metal fragments could pass through the airbag cushion material, which may result in serious injury or death to vehicle occupants. En caso de una ruptura del inflador, fragmentos de metal podrian atravesar el cojin de la bolsa de aire y provocar lesiones graves o la muerte a los ocupantes del vehiculo.
Mfr Campaign/Safety Recall Notice:23U3 -ManufacturerCampaignId:23U3 The Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board have determined that Volkswagen vehicles equipped with a 2.0L 4-cylinder TDI engine do not comply with applicable emissions regulations. The emissions control systems on the vehicles will not control emissions under off-cycle conditions as effectively as during the federal test procedure. The extent of the emissions increase under off-cycle conditions depends upon how the vehicles are driven. Install updated emissions control system parts and software, install a TDI Emissions Modification - Proof of Completion Label and install a Supplemental Vehicle Emissions Control Information Label.
Mfr Campaign/Safety Recall Notice:24CV -ManufacturerCampaignId:24CV The snow flap in the inlet air box housing may remain partially to fully open. Should this occur, excess warm air could enter the air intake though the snow flap inlet. Install an improved inlet air box housing snow flap and, if measured degradation tolerances are met, replace the oxygen sensor.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I'd like to raise two questions:

A) Would the fix still proceed if the owner's DPF is cracked?

B) Wouldn't it be beneficial to also clean the DPF during the fix? I don't know if this is even possible without completely removing the entire CAT/PDF assembly off the vehicle. But it seems that a lot of the parts will be pulled off the car anyway exposing the DPF for better serviceability.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
A) No one knows, because no one has had the Gen 1 fix applied yet, because the parts haven't been available yet (but it won't be long). I am quite sure that it won't be long before a Gen 1 owner shows up for the fix with a cracked DPF. The documentation is quite clear on what is supposed to happen if a modified/tampered/deleted car shows up for the fix (Owner has to pay for all parts and labour necessary to put it back to stock) but there is no mention of what is supposed to happen if a stock, but broken, car shows up for the fix. Bottom line ... we don't know. Yet.

B) Cleaning the DPF isn't part of the planned retrofit, so rightly or wrongly, it ain't happenin'.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I am signed up for the fix for my 2009 on Tuesday. I do have a cracked DPF, which is welded to the NOX cat they will replace. i do not currently have any MIL, but do show stored codes for the P0401. also it will be evident when they pull it all apart that the DPF is a little leaky, from the soot where there should be none

for the later cars, with separable DPF from the NSC, it seems unlikely that VW will fork out for a DPF as part of the update. (the cash incentive should, however, be more than enough to cover such a repair, should it be needed to pass emissions.)

the letter indicates that an owner should expect to pay to restore modified (tuned) software or replace removed hardware which is part of the emissions system. I did not see any notes that other codes would have to be addressed as part of the fix.

Personally, I expect the updated EGR filter and software to be less forgiving of a leaky DPF.

(pure guess on my part)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I'd like to raise two questions:

A) Would the fix still proceed if the owner's DPF is cracked?

B) Wouldn't it be beneficial to also clean the DPF during the fix? I don't know if this is even possible without completely removing the entire CAT/PDF assembly off the vehicle. But it seems that a lot of the parts will be pulled off the car anyway exposing the DPF for better serviceability.

Your point is valid that it would be a good idea to clean accumulated ash from the DPF while it is half disconnected anyway. if the car had over 200k miles, this would be a great idea.

but the dealer is not likely to be equipped to do so, and also not likely to want to wait around while an owner sends out the DPF for cleaning.

you could always ask. depending on the specifics, you might get them to start later in the day, and park it for a couple days while you have the DPF cleaned and retured. (VW would not pay for a loaner car for the extended wait...)

But there may not be a clear need to pull the DPF from the turbo, or to disconnect pressure and temperature sensors which are mounted to the DOC/DPF for the replacement of the other components.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I am signed up for the fix for my 2009 on Tuesday. I do have a cracked DPF, which is welded to the NOX cat they will replace. i do not currently have any MIL, but do show stored codes for the P0401. also it will be evident when they pull it all apart that the DPF is a little leaky, from the soot where there should be none

for the later cars, with separable DPF from the NSC, it seems unlikely that VW will fork out for a DPF as part of the update. (the cash incentive should, however, be more than enough to cover such a repair, should it be needed to pass emissions.)

the letter indicates that an owner should expect to pay to restore modified (tuned) software or replace removed hardware which is part of the emissions system. I did not see any notes that other codes would have to be addressed as part of the fix.

Personally, I expect the updated EGR filter and software to be less forgiving of a leaky DPF.

(pure guess on my part)
I thought I read that the one piece systems will be completely replaced. If that's the case, then you don't have any worries and will drive away with a brand new dpf.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I thought I read that the one piece systems will be completely replaced. If that's the case, then you don't have any worries and will drive away with a brand new dpf.
Agreed

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
forgive the ignorance but just how long is the DPF supposed to last anyways? Surely it would get clogged after so many miles
How do they get cracked anyways?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
no one seems to know for sure. guesses include that the DPF will crack from thermal stress which is made worse in some operating modes and sequences.

folks have driven just fine for close to 250,000 miles, cleaned the DPF and then driven on.

others have had the DPF crack and leak soot which clogs up the egr and throws codes at 60k or so.

Last edited:

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I'm wondering, if I opt out of the fix, will I run into problems sourcing any replacement parts in the future?

walterwood

TDI
2009 TDI Jetta Sportwagen
2 mile/gal projected loss of fuel economy with "modification" of 2009 Jetta why?

Subj: 2 mile/gal projected loss of fuel economy with "modification" of 2009 Jetta why?
related Subj: "modification" vs "buyback" 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagon

I just received a "recall" package describing the "modification" for my 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagon located here in California. The package describes the proposed "modification" as reducing fuel economy by 2 miles/gallon and I'd be interested in any engineering assessments about what exactly the "modification" fix does that reduces fuel economy and performance.

Also of interest although not directly related to fuel economy, VWcourtsettlement.com is reporting they will pay $21,136.73 if I return it on 4/2/2018 or if I do the "modification" on that same date a payment of $6011.73 but the "modification" is described as reducing fuel economy by an estimated 2 miles per gallon and also effecting engine noise and performance. I'm considering 4/2/2018 because that is the month the registration will be due along with a CA required "smog test" that I am presuming would be failed without the "modification." An earlier "modification" or "buyback" date 8/26/2017 results in a smaller restitution payment of $5906.73 for "modification" and $20506.73 for "buyback." So it seems like it is better to delay until shortly before the required "smog" test.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The value works based on mileage at the time of turn in, not mileage at the time of filing the paperwork, by the way.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
I'm considering 4/2/2018 because that is the month the registration will be due along with a CA required "smog test" that I am presuming would be failed without the "modification." An earlier "modification" or "buyback" date 8/26/2017 results in a smaller restitution payment of $5906.73 for "modification" and $20506.73 for "buyback." So it seems like it is better to delay until shortly before the required "smog" test.
You'll never fail a test without the fix. It's designed to cheat the test.

And you'll get a sticker with reduced emission requirements if you do get the fix.

Lastly, any state that accepts the settlement can NOT deny you registration because of the diesel issue, fix or not.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
no one seems to know for sure. guesses include that the DPF will crack from thermal stress which is made worse in some operating modes and sequences.

folks have driven just fine for close to 250,000 miles, cleaned the DPF and then driven on.

others have had the DPF crack and leak soot which clogs up the egr and throws codes at 60k or so.
We do know for sure, they crack because they are oval, not round, so they expand differently between the long side and short side. Run it through enough heat cycles and it will crack. Based on what I've seen, I'd estimate the number of TDI DPFs that have made it to 250k to be in the hundreds, while the number of those that have cracked before 200k to be way into the 10's of thousands. All the really low failures I've seen (<50k) have been cars with aftermarket intakes. Throws off the MAF signal and a cracked DPF is the result.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
We do know for sure, they crack because they are oval, not round, so they expand differently between the long side and short side. Run it through enough heat cycles and it will crack. Based on what I've seen, I'd estimate the number of TDI DPFs that have made it to 250k to be in the hundreds, while the number of those that have cracked before 200k to be way into the 10's of thousands. All the really low failures I've seen (<50k) have been cars with aftermarket intakes. Throws off the MAF signal and a cracked DPF is the result.
For years I have this suspicion that intercooler moisture might contribute to gradual DPF weakening. You have this lump of water ingested into the engine under hard throttle application, forces through the hot DPF and expel out of the exhaust pipe as huge cloud of steam. Imagine spraying hot water over high temperature ceramics and now repeat this process hundreds of times over the life of the DPF....

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Thanks,

That makes sense.

Jentry

TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan TDI
Is there a deadline to get the "fix"? I'd like to wait as long as possible.

Also, what if I don't get the fix? Will I be unable to register/smog my car in the future? I assume I won't get the $5,100 without the fix.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
The last day you can register to get the fix under the settlement is 9/1/18, and VW has to perform the modification before 1/1/2019.

You will not fail the smog test if you never get the fix. And yes, you would not collect any money unless you accepted the modification or buyback.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
No more so than if you get the fix.
My concern is if a part fails, on my unfixed TDI, that would've been upgraded with the fix, specifically the NOX cat. Even though they don't seem to be a common failure in the CR TDI, that is my concern.

Since there is not a new DPF included with the fix, I'm assuming those parts will be available in the future, and be the same for a fix or unfixed TDI?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
VW has issued disclaimers about parts availability in the event that you keep the car and don't get the fix done, but it presumably pertains only to components directly involved in the fix. For example, the original (non-compliant) LNT (NOx catalyst) will be discontinued, as will the original ECU with the original (non-compliant) programming. (The ECU hardware will remain the same, but the software programmed onto it will not be.)

I don't recall ANYone ever having issues with the NOx catalyst on these cars, so it is probably a non-issue in the real world. And even if it does fail, the consequence will be that you are obliged to get the fix installed on the car. Bear in mind that if you wait until after the deadlines listed above, VW will no longer be obligated to pay you anything, even if they have to install the fix hardware and software in order to keep you on the road.

The only thing that I can foresee with the ECU if you don't get the fix done, is that let's suppose a couple years down the road there's some sort of issue that turns up which requires the ECU to be reflashed. The original non-fix software will no longer be supported, so at that time, in order to fix whatever the issue is, they'll be obligated to install the fix hardware and software, and since you neglected until after the program end date, they're not obligated to pay you anything.

Just get it done if you want to keep the car ... That's the whole intent of the way it's set up ... It's not VW's fault if you procrastinate; this is another lever to encourage you to get the fix installed if you want to keep the car.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
Quick question.
I have a 2009 jetta tdi that is stock other than the adding the kits from 2micron, the "Contain Flow filter and the Pureflow kit."
Since this modification is in fuel system do you believe I will need to have those removed for "Emission Recall " or don't worry about it since it doesn't involve the emission system.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
If the warranty is the same as Gen3 car. The DPF is covered. If your DPF is cracked they should replace it.

Now if they make you pay for the DPF. It is a wash after the settlement money. And now you use loose MPG after the fix and smaller pay back.

Sounds like I will fix my cracked DPF and keep my mileage increase and power from my RC1.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Well dang, I was hoping for a new DPF not just the LNT on my 2011.

Anyone still waiting for the portal to allow for scheduling of your fix?

Schedule Your Appointment

The next step in the process is to schedule your appointment to complete the Approved Emissions Modification. An Emissions Modification for your vehicle is not yet approved by EPA/CARB. Volkswagen will contact you when there is an update on the status of the Emissions Modification for your vehicle.
Been showing it still till 8/14/17

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I just finished my paperwork yesterday. I was waiting on the fix announcement to make the final decision between buyback and fix. I'm opting for the fix and the $5000 in my pocket.