What did you do to your MKIV today?

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Did you use your vag-com cable to do so? Or splice/extend the OBD wiring? Also, where in the center console did it end up?

Thanks!

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Quick update: Got the 4200NEX installed and running and screwed into the dash (dang that's a tight fit). Not sure I like the wood on the radio cage and heater controls. I have the wood ashtray, which I think I'll keep regardless. Just not sure it looks quite right.

Don't have the parking brake, rear camera or reverse switch wires hooked up and probably won't for a while.

I did swap in my MK5 wood 6-speed shift knob with boot and chrome surround. Very very nice. That along with the new front lower black center console piece (mine was really beat up) it looks almost new.

Anyway, only problem I'm having is that during a phone call, the other person's voice only comes through the front left speaker. Is that odd or what? This is while plugged in via a USB cable. Maybe it's defaulting to bluetooth or something.

germerican

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Did you use your vag-com cable to do so? Or splice/extend the OBD wiring? Also, where in the center console did it end up?

Thanks!

I just cut the wires at the factory location and spliced in some extensions. Twisted the orange hi and low wires together and then wrapped them with Tesa tape. At the base of the radio cage there is a cut out from the factory for the OBD plug. I think the OBD plug is located there in the Euro cars? Not sure, but it clicks right in. Here's some pics.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
That is a very cool little mod! I think I'll do that. Having a wire running by my feet while driving (logging with vcds) ain't a good thing.

Last edited:

Anita!!

TDI
2003 1.9 L TDI Jetta Wagon GL, 5-speed manual
It's very cold up here

My wife wasn't real happy with the warm up time the other day when it was 15 degrees when we went out the other day. Gonna give the pipe insulation a shot. For $2 if it doesn't work as well as I like I'm not really out anything. Happy wife happy life.
Did the same as you.

Also, happy to report an update on the Frost Heater (1000W) + 100W oil pan heater performance. At -30*C and calm we're comfy inside after a 10-15 minute warm-up. Tonight we're headed to -36 :eek:

We've just kept everything plugged in 24-7 during this cold snap.

Last edited:

TxTDIjetta

TDI
2002 jetta tdi
I replaced pass side lower control arm and the alternator (140a out of a 09ish passat) alot of work still needed like rebuilding injection pump

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Hooked up the FrostHeater overnight and it started up right away this morning without needing a jump. :)
Later on today, I got the "Stop! Check coolant!" message and the expansion tank was practically empty. :(
Found a wet spot on the driveway near the front right corner of the car. It was well below freezing but the spot was not frozen so I think it was coolant. Could running the FrostHeater for so long (12 hours) cause the coolant to boil out of the expansion tank? (The car has a skid plate and the driveway is sloped so the wet spot is not necessarily under the source of the leak.) The car has not been leaking coolant since, but I haven't used the FrostHeater either.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Did the same as you.

Also, happy to report an update on the Frost Heater (1000W) + 100W oil pan heater performance. At -30*C and calm we're comfy inside after a 10-15 minute warm-up. Tonight we're headed to -36 :eek:

We've just kept everything plugged in 24-7 during this cold snap.
On a bit of a tight budget and right now the car is starting relatively well in the cold. However new glow plugs, battery, and a Frostheater are definitely in store if I can cobble the money together before the end of the winter. Otherwise it'll have to wait until next year. We're heading for 3 degrees tonight so I'll count my blessings lol

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Installed a black rear parcel shelf from a GLI. Replaced the original grey one.

Still need to buy the black bolt/tie down covers to match along with some other details.

Not sure how to raise the sunscreen since it requires a hook of some sort in the headliner. Have to figure that out as well.

Looks mahvelous. Really makes a nice difference and won't reflect so much sunshine.

Last edited:

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I was checking things over in engine bay this today, and glad I did. I notice an injector line leaking badly. I got my 17mm and gave it a quarter turn, sprayed it down with brake clean and all is good now. While working on car I decided to replace the outside air temperature sensor for the MFD cause it was reading high. I wish there was some way to calibrate those damn sensors.

Areilius

TDI
2001 TDI Jetta
Over the weekend I replaced the timing belt, rollers, water pump, thermostat and engine temp sensor. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will get my nozzles to go along with my tuning.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I drove mine, and dropped off a set of injectors at DFIS PDX to have them check the pattern and make sure that they are the claimed Sprint 520 nozzles.
If all is well there, they'll shim them up to 220-230 bar and balance them.

They appear to have come out of a Passat or similar, as they are marked at 190 bar, and the timing advance when they were briefly installed reflected the same.

On a related note, if you ever have the chance to visit DFIS in person, they have some interesting injectors on display in the front counter case. The larger two were from a locomotive and a ship.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Found a wet spot on the driveway near the front right corner of the car. It was well below freezing but the spot was not frozen so I think it was coolant. Could running the FrostHeater for so long (12 hours) cause the coolant to boil out of the expansion tank? (The car has a skid plate and the driveway is sloped so the wet spot is not necessarily under the source of the leak.) The car has not been leaking coolant since, but I haven't used the FrostHeater either.
I have had mine on for extended periods of time and haven't seen any problems.

Sounds like you have a leak.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Took my 01 tdi out and goofed off in snow this morning, handles and stop great in this stuff. Only issue I had in blizzard conditions was keeping my windows defrost for visibility, but man that was fun.

Bajan

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
IBW is hanging out at the office. Probably not for too long.

My CCV puck froze Sunday night and was leaking oil. Fixed that last night.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Put the winter fronts on, wired in the micro bypass of the parking brake wire, upgraded the firmware, and after a long troubleshooting call with Crutchfield, started an RMA for my Pioneer. Ugh. Issue is that iPhone will only play through front left speaker, and nothing fixes it. Resetting the Pioneer put it in a confused mode, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Yeah, I have a 4000-NEX in my Mazda and it's been trouble free -- definitely no problems with bluetooth audio (calls or music) only coming through on one speaker!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
New hood strut and dip stick tube grommet installed. Also got it inspected.
Ah, you reminded me that I need to get a new hood strut for the wife's car!:D Need to create a list.;)

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
checked my injection pump for leaks after head seal change. that was a tad scary!! did the pump come out too far? did I hear something inside the pump drop?? I was super scared of having this happen, but so far, so good!!

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Rescued my buddy dead on the side of the road yesterday with gelled/waxed fuel....

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I started my 01 this morning at -5F , it fired up first try on one glow plug cycle. After idling for couple minutes I back out my driveway but notice the car was rolling with quite a bit of resistance. I check and my rear left e-brake didn't release at all. I end up dragging the wheel for few hundred feet and still nothing, I back up 50ft and it released. I definitely won't be setting the e-brakes in this weather anytime soon. Maybe when it warms up later this week I'll check the return springs .

Bajan

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I definitely won't be setting the e-brakes in this weather anytime soon. Maybe when it warms up later this week I'll check the return springs .
Bajan
I wouldn't use it either.
I assume your referring to the add on spring on the calipers?
If not, you need them.
ID-Parts has them, not to expensive.
They also have updated heavy duty cables.
I replaced mine when 1 of the cables collapsed a while back and added the helper springs.
It was one of the easiest upgrades I did. :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The garage door opener on the side that I keep IBW broke on New Year's, and with the weather here I haven't tried to get someone here to fix it. But when I back out I let the car roll 50 feet down the driveway before getting out to close the garage door because there's no way I'm setting the parking brake.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
The garage door opener on the side that I keep IBW broke on New Year's, and with the weather here I haven't tried to get someone here to fix it. But when I back out I let the car roll 50 feet down the driveway before getting out to close the garage door because there's no way I'm setting the parking brake.

lol
I don't blame ya. Lesson learned. I'm stopping by tomorrow for some goodies, maybe I'll look at those rear caliper springs if I remember.

Bajan

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Ran the camera wire down the left side of the car, then mounted the camera on the trunk and worked my way back and joined the two just to the left of the left passenger's seat.

The camera doesn't have a good place to go on the trunk. I ended up putting it next to the grab handle (which is a heavy chunk of metal, non-drillable) and the left license plate lamp, then ran the wire under the same lamp.

My buddy's 16 GTI has a neat VW logo that has the camera underneath, and it opens automatically when going into reverse, letting the camera pop out. I'd really really like to do a retrofit!

Anyway, camera works!

Attempted to wire into the reverse light switch using a typical red wire tap, but there are three wires. Brown is ground, I know, and I chose one of two others, but I guess I chose wrong. I'll attempt the other one tomorrow.

Oh, and swapped in a new N75 valve. I've suspected something was a bit hinky for a while, though I had plenty of boost. It just all seemed a little delayed, a little under boosted. Now, she has more power earlier and really wants to haul butt. Glad I did this!

Attempted a fixmyvw latch on my armrest, but I guess I have a very non-stock armrest, as it didn't seem to come close to fitting. Very odd!