Looking to buy a 2005.5 vw Jetta tdi. Thoughts?

Jakefinley

TDI
Jetta
Hello all I am new to the vw world and diesel world but the Jetta tdi has had my eyes for awhile. I came across a 2005.5 tdi it has around 260k miles on it, it is a 5 speed manual. And the guy said this is this is the most recent work done to it timing belt, water pump, new seals, engine mounts, all brake pads and rotors, new front shocks and springs, new rear wheel bearings,clutch and flywheel. He also said the headliner is sagging but that seems to be a common problem. I am hopefully getting the car for around $3500. It looks mint no rust scratches or dents. Is there anything I should look out for? And does it seem like a good deal? Also is that high mileage for this type of car? I see some people says their diesel vw' are at 400k and climbing. Thanks for all the thoughts

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
milage is ok. Price is WAY TO HIGH. $2500 is a normal sale, 2200 is a deal and anything less is a steal. Please watch this. Do not be afraid to walk away. I personally do not buy any car that i can not inspect on a lift or get the owner to let me take ot to my shop with him to do a 15 minute inspection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC8LbvYk6es&list=PLvKbarVtwhUv6bjLhJSyaEOxaYy03j7QS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC8LbvYk6es

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N4RpohW-hU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drbhNLvYxGQ

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Almost every VW (especially tdis) for sale has had "recent" TB, WP, etc changed/installed. W/o stellar documentation of what parts were replaced, where they were sourced, and who did the work-it may be worse off than if it hadn't been done yet and good chance it should be done again with quality parts and proper methods.
Price is too high (although it's ny).
Can you do your own maintainence??

Jakefinley

TDI
Jetta
Thank you guys for your reply. I will have to ask for receipts for all the work he said he had done. As for price unfortunately everything I see on Craigslist is $3000 or higher even on late 90's and earlier 2000's. And as I am in Ny they are always filled with rust. But this one is out of state so no rust but unfortunately it is 4 hours away so it's hard to have a mechanic I trust look at it. Plus I haven't seen it in person yet

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
As much as I love my TDIs, I wouldn't recommend buying one with 250k miles on it for a "premium" price just because they are typically long lived and fuel efficiency champs. It's probably at a point in its life where it can/will require some more/continuing maintainence and depending on your driving habits/routine, it may or may not be that cost effective over a less expensive regular gas engine vehicle. Don't go buying into one w/o doing some research and if there is no/little maintainence history. Previous work, oil changes (not so much about intervals, but proper oil spec), etc..
The PD engined TDIs have some of their own issues that may need addressing that can get expensive if you aren't familair with maintaining them. It may be a fine car, just proceed with caution and make sure it's right for your situation(s).

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
CL price is whats available. look for track record of what they sell for in your area and cross reference that with KBB. TDI's are cheep right now from the emissions issues a few years back. Dont get suckered into a bad deal. Those cars are not rare yet and can easily be found with less issues, better shape, in other locations.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Those cars are not rare yet and can easily be found with less issues, better shape, in other locations.
Nice ones are rare. My first tdi I paid $3100 for it with a TB break. $2000 worth of work later I had a wonderful car. (still have it)

Sure you can buy some piece of junk off craigslist that hasn't been maintained, armrest broke, glove box broke, Cam worn out, door pull broke, AC inop, oil leaks at every orifice, interior filthy and worn, rust aross the tops of the fenders, door dings on every panel, clear coat on paint peeling, dash lit up like a Christmas tree, ect for $1500 to $2500, but a nice one is getting harder to come by (RARE!).

$3500 is a steal for a manual trans mk5 with that amount of work done to it. Main thing you need to worry about is cam wear. Have someone do a cam inspection 1st or just plan on doing a cam job.

Also headliner is very difficult on that car, but can be done. Make sure if you get an estimate that they know the difficulties there,as you dont want them to start then call you back and up the price because they didn't realize it wasn't as easy as other cars. Headliner requires one of 3 things.

1. Front or rear glass to be removed. (I've never done this just heard it said).
2. Fold the headliner "card" in half (damaging it) to remove it. Headliner "card" is a hard material like a cross between card board and particle board (maybe fiberglass) and folding it makes cracking and breaking noises with associated damage. Folding it again after new material to reinstall it in the car makes "damage" that is noticeable unless they steam it out after install. I think this is how most upholstery folks deal with this.
3. Removing seats and console (console is time eating B!TCH on mk5!) Even then the headliner just barely comes out. This is how we did it.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I completely agree with Richard.