Wow Seized A/C compressor locked engine

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Been noticing some noise and smell over the last 2 days. Also the Cooling fan was staying on even though the A/C was off. Today on my way home I stopped and when I tried to start it ran for 3 seconds and stopped. Good thing I had a utility knife in my car to cut the accessory belt with. That got the car started and was able to drive home. I just never figured this had enough lock to kill the engine.

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Wow that is REALLY surprising. I once thought my AC pulley had locked up (turned out I just couldn't tell it was spinning because it was so shiny looking from the top of the engine). Anyways, I stopped in the middle of a 6-hour trip with my wife and dog and spent 2 hours fixing nothing because it was actually melted fuses on the battery.

Anyways, now you've got me nervous about it locking up because my compressor is PRETTY rusted (no splash guards or skid plate until I got the car @ 165,000)

Good luck replacing the clutch and/or compressor!

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
This locked up and idling car, I wonder what would have happened while driving.

Wow that is REALLY surprising. I once thought my AC pulley had locked up (turned out I just couldn't tell it was spinning because it was so shiny looking from the top of the engine). Anyways, I stopped in the middle of a 6-hour trip with my wife and dog and spent 2 hours fixing nothing because it was actually melted fuses on the battery.

Anyways, now you've got me nervous about it locking up because my compressor is PRETTY rusted (no splash guards or skid plate until I got the car @ 165,000)

Good luck replacing the clutch and/or compressor!

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Under power you probably would have broken the accessory bracket as the torque on the large idler and tensioner would have grossly exceeded expected values.

If the pieces got into somewhere bad (like under the timing belt cover) then it gets even worse, but a broken accessory bracket is a royal PITA to replace (it's also a bit expensive, but the real problem isn't the cost, it's the hassle.)