What did you do to your car today?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Something in the starting system on my Jetta has been slowly (and inconsistently) getting worse and today was the day that it just wouldn't go anymore. Had to have a co-worker pull start me in the parking lot at work tonight so I could go home :).

Got home, left the car running so I could periodically warm up (it's 23F outside tonight) and pulled the starter out of my TT and put it in my Jetta. Took 2 hours - 1.5 hours to get the starter out of the TT and 0.5 hours to both remove and replace the starter in my Jetta. Charlie had those starter bolts TIGHT and there's a lot more stuff in the way on the TT.

It seemed to turn over faster (though the car was warm) with the "new" starter - I'll know for sure tomorrow morning when it's 14F outside.

Anyone have a good source for a MkIV 02M diesel starter? Not interested in F.L.A.P.S. C.R.A.P. - just want a good, high quality starter.

I know a good motor shop so rebuilding the OEM one is an option and I have plenty of time.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
14F this morning and it fired right off. Cranked over faster than it ever has. I cranked it over without waiting for the glow plugs today after work (~30F) and it fired on the 2nd revolution.

Now I just need to order a new starter.

romad has me thinking about those battery cables as well - given that it's my daily driver it's probably worth it.

Something in the starting system on my Jetta has been slowly (and inconsistently) getting worse and today was the day that it just wouldn't go anymore. Had to have a co-worker pull start me in the parking lot at work tonight so I could go home :).

Got home, left the car running so I could periodically warm up (it's 23F outside tonight) and pulled the starter out of my TT and put it in my Jetta. Took 2 hours - 1.5 hours to get the starter out of the TT and 0.5 hours to both remove and replace the starter in my Jetta. Charlie had those starter bolts TIGHT and there's a lot more stuff in the way on the TT.

It seemed to turn over faster (though the car was warm) with the "new" starter - I'll know for sure tomorrow morning when it's 14F outside.

Anyone have a good source for a MkIV 02M diesel starter? Not interested in F.L.A.P.S. C.R.A.P. - just want a good, high quality starter.

I know a good motor shop so rebuilding the OEM one is an option and I have plenty of time.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Last weekend: got my oil extractor from IDParts and used it to change the oil in the white jetta. Shoved the tube WAY in there. Got it stuck. Got it out. No worries. Stupid moment over.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
I'm not sure why people keep getting these tubes stuck. The easiest way is to match the length of the dipstick tube with the extraction tube. Mark with tape or sharpie, that way you can gauge how much your inserting. Easy and simple.

bajan

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
- Cleaned the ground under the windshield
- Cleaned the cabin air filter. (And found a screwdriver laying next to it...thank you dealer.)
- readjusted the windshield washer nozzles
- Checked the ECU connection
- cleaned everything up before putting it all back together.

Quick question:
On the drivers side under the windshield there was a small plastic cylindrical device with two wires attached to one end. It's about the size of my thumb. Does anyone know what that is? A sensor of some type maybe.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Maybe, but I can't find any relay pictures that look like it.

I found a picture that shows it...see below. It's in the far right of the picture, clipped to the side.
It's plastic, black, cylindrical, and is very light weight.
PS: This is a picture of a MKIV, but is not of my car. :)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Maybe, but I can't find any relay pictures that look like it.

I found a picture that shows it...see below. It's in the far right of the picture, clipped to the side.
It's plastic, black, cylindrical, and is very light weight.
PS: This is a picture of a MKIV, but is not of my car. :)

The only pictures I see are in your sig.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
I removed the door lock module on the Golf.
Unfortunately I read a how-to beforehand and took off the inner door panel, there's no need to do that, the inner door opener wire can be unhooked from the module...
Anyway, all the micro switches checked out OK and the solders looked fine so I drenched the motors in electrical cleaner spray and put it all back to test.
It works! So happy that I can unlock all doors with the remote again :)

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Installed Innovative Wiring cables. Replaces existing main negative and positive cables from the battery. Cleaned and maintained all of the connections too
The car always started well, but now it feels like it starts before I even have the key turned all the way. Very fast.
I'm hoping the new cables resolve a long standing and hard to find grounding issue. Time will tell.
I cleared all codes with VCDS too. Had one ABS electrical one related to the previously mentioned ground problem, and one Airbag one related to when I had the seats out recently to reupholster them.

Last edited:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
My new to me 2005 New Beetle got new Kentucky plate. UK front plate and chrome emblem on trunk. Requisite Peace Frogs magnet sticker. TDI emblem above VW emblem. New custom cell phone mount bracket. V1 and Blaupunkt camera mounted and wiring run to sunroof panel, awaiting power. Removed 6 disk CD changer from center console, just gotta find an insert to make it usable.

Yesterday, drove to Louisville and picked up a new spare tire, and a like new turn signal stalk to fix the cruise control inop issue.

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
Bought a replacement right euro tail light from ecstuning.com they sent me a left tail in a box with an RMA# on it. :(

Kree

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
Ran into an audi tt at the local wrecking yard....

Well went in looking for a maf to complete a cold air pipe I found Z few weeks ago and ran into an audi tt. Got the shifter and strut brace from it. Shifter installed in minutes and I'm in the process of piecing this cold air kit together(more looks than function imo) but lost the the daylight and its going to be finished up tomorrow. Just wondering about the strut brace... Anyone have any experience installing these? I'm guessing I have to trim some on the drivers side? Is it pretty straightforward from there on?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
New Beetle got:
1) Rear wheel bearings
2) Rear Koni STR.T struts with new hardware
3) New updated emergency brake cables so I finally have an E brake
4) The nice tow hitch I got from Dwiesel. Thanks!

Tried to install the Chinese ebay mud flaps. I knew I was in trouble when the instructions were for a BMW. Flaps has NB labeling, but I have no clue what they fit. Not a Mk4 NB.

So many things in the box. DG door handle reinforcements. Front Konis. Touch up paint. TT short shifter.

Sigh.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I was at the local Walmart for something entirely different, when I noticed a MK4 Jetta headlight on the counter in the automotive repair section. I discovered that they were offering "professional" headlight polishing for $29 while you shop/wait.

On a lark, I took a chance, since at worst they might destroy the lenses, or possibly nearby paint. The car was already scruffy on the bumper and the hood edge, and I have a set of lights off of a parts car if needed.

I was surprised at how well they turned out, especially considering that the lenses were beyond hazy, and approaching amber in their yellowing.

Driving the car last night, the headlight pattern was visible on the guard rails for the first time in the years that I've owned it, as well as a pattern on the roadway ahead, instead of a diffuse glow that I'd become used to.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Car was washed (last week) while it was at the dealership

Today, I Used a spray of "tire black"

Improved the over all appearance.

Oh, and I washed the few bugs off the shield.

ADDENDUM ~~ Dearly love the door 2 automatic "hard stop" positions!

Then the fact you can move the door a few inches and it will stay put so as to accommodate ingress and egress with out hitting my wife's car. We have a tight 2 car garage:(

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Finally installed the new shift knob with integral shift boot in the MkIV. Next time the wife valet parks the "little red wagon", at least she won't have to explain where reverse is.

The sad part was, the shift boot my wife stitched up out of faux leather at 165k was still in great shape!! The worn knob with the missing emblem, not so much...

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Realizing that the snow tires wouldn't lats until we were ready to turn it into the dealer the Goals went on this past Friday... Ordering a 2018 Alltrack 6M today - Not sure if I should be excited or not.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Yesterday took it for a "medium spirited" 30 mile Sunday drive, using the Tulsa 60-65 MPH inter city freeways. Air Conditioner on low.

Crisp (DSG) shift points, (in drive) with 1.25 inches of fuel peddle.

Then just steady at posted SL with approx 1/4 inch peddle. No Cruz

A few deliberate lane change snaps ... and one because of debris in road. Looked like a brown flattened Christmas tree (???) Glad I missed it. I don't understand all the debris on Tulsa area roads. Truck tire alligators are the biggest threat.

One medium use of brakes (with one lane change) just to get the feel of the ol' girl.

One hard charge acceleration --- 0 to 65 (speed limit)

two or three, slowest possible (D) accelerations to 45-50 to note the RPM shift points. Got 'em as low as 1,500 ~~ Not on free way

Results:

100% pleased

... as I was rolling into neighborhood, dash was showing 50.1 MPG:D

... but jumped back to 49.9 MPG in garage:p