Bring out yer scrap!

iomonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
Mods: Wasn't sure where to put this...figured it was a 'local' thing, so this was best.

Guys, throwing this up there because I'm sure someone out there has this kind of junk cluttering their garage.

I am getting into metal casting and need some scrap! I am looking for the following:

1. Aluminum blocks/heads/transmissions
  2. Water pumps w. bronze/brass impellers
  3. Broken/dented aluminum wheels
  4. Any other cast aluminum objects
  5. Any other cast bronze/brass
  6. Any scrap copper (copper castings are purty)

If even you have iron block with aluminum heads, I'll take the lot off your hands. If you have wheels that still have old tires on them, I will take wheels AND tires off your hands! Of lesser note is extruded or stamped aluminum (like siding) - not a great casting alloy, but I will take it for artsy castings.

If you are in the GTA I can come pick it up (well, I won't drive 1.5 hours for one water pump), or feel free to drop it off if you're near Oshawa - send me a PM and we'll work it out. I have a trailer for larger items.

The only real caveat here is that I am looking for free scrap...can't really afford to buy.

If you can get me a whole pile of it, I can use some of it to make you something!

iomonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
Ah, I see. For the record - I am not a scrap metal dealer person. Do a forum search for my user. FWIW, several people on this forum have met me and can (hopefully) vouch for me not being a shady scrap collector.

I should also note that I will not be profiting from this - purely a hobby, barely breaking even for the few projects I will charge for (propane costs, construction costs, etc).

I suppose it was pretty naive of me to assume I'd be taken at face value, so see threads below, posted under my actual name. My first few projects involve making some parts for older woodworking equipment.

Also: You'd be better served by selling the gold - I'm not much of a jeweler. ;)

http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread.php?7034-stove-and-furnace-cement-castable-refractory
http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread.php?7007-Newbie-Q-How-many-times-can-you-re-melt-metal
http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthread.php?7005-Estimate-weight-of-cast-iron-object-in-aluminum
http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?44750-Beaver-tools-people-cast-legs-aluminum-replicas

Edit: One other fun item if you are interested - my wiki repo of foundry knowledge:
http://wiki.practicaltech.ca/index.php/Foundry

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
No worries Chris. Since you didn't just create your account today, it should be obvious that you are not just here to scavenge and that you are a true TDIer. I have no issues with this thread and can even send you some stuff to get you started.

I don't have much, but every little bit helps. I have some aluminum motor mounts that are broken and not good for anything. Maybe 10 pounds worth? I also have a bunch of brass fittings in a bucket somewhere. Maybe 2-3 pounds?

I would be interested to see your set-up some day. I am always fascinated by watching shows like 'How its made' when they do metal casting stuff. There was a recent episode where they cast some cannons. That was cool. What kids of things are you looking to cast?

auto_tech

Vendor
TDI
SOLD - 2001 Jetta blue; 2016 Jetta 1.4TSI 5spd
Can you PM me your address? I have family in Oshawa, so I go there once in a while. I may be able to drop off stuff.

iomonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
Haha, thanks Wingnut. Someone posted before me with an amusing yet blatantly sarcastic tone that prompted me to post some clarification. Guess they deleted it.

You are absolutely right - every little bit counts! I will take whatever you want to get rid of. I'd be happy to come pick the scrap up, PM me your address and a time that's convenient for you.

auto_tech, PM sent, thank you!!

Once things are up to date I'll post an update thread and we can sort out a time for you and/or others to come by for a viewing/Q&A. I'd guess sometime in the summer - I want to get comfortable with the setup before a demo...even molten aluminum can horribly maim me if I am stupid with it!

The first two projects are for old Beaver woodworking tools - some fence handles and a few sets of legs (Beaver-branded cast iron legs were an accessory option back in the 50s - you built a cabinet around them - and they are ultra-rare today). The legs will be replicas of the set I have - probably 5lbs of aluminum per leg.

After those are done, I'll probably concentrate on getting more scrap and melting that into ingots. I have a few ideas, but for now I need to get construction under way.

Thanks again!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Last week dumped a bunch of aluminium (intake manifolds and such) to the curb, they were gone in 20 min. Next time I'll keep you in mind.

Are aluminium cans too thin for you?

iomonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
imo000 - Dag! Well, appreciate the thought!

Yes, aluminum cans are a) not cast and b) produce a ton of slag (waste). I believe all the threads I've seen about people trying to use only cans results in less than 50% output of usable aluminum. Further, I have no problem picking up grimy and greasy chunks of metal and rubber, but bags upon bags of smelly, sticky, wasp-attracting cans is just not my cup of tea. :)

VR6ix - nice!! That guy has some seriously nice equipment and fabrication skills (his welding is excellent, and he has a sandblaster!). I wonder if he's on the alloyavenue forum...

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
Haha, thanks Wingnut. Someone posted before me with an amusing yet blatantly sarcastic tone that prompted me to post some clarification. Guess they deleted it.
Yah I deleted the post, I was just being a ball buster and didn't actually think you were shadily posting to try to make some extra cash converting free scrap to big coin. A second read of my post made me think maybe you'd take it the wrong way (harshly), but i'm glad you were amused by it. I was in the process of deleting it before I saw your reply.

I've still got that unobtainium if you're interested :p

iomonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
Haha, that movie was great, in a cheesy kind of way. No worries.

The only thing that worries me is that someone will give me some 'aluminum' wheels, only for me to melt them down and discover they are magnesium!!! That would be really really really bad. Like 'unstoppable inferno cratering its way into my driveway' bad.

Also, magnesium is REALLY expensive, so I'd have made a crater-inferno-thing out of super expensive metal. I guess would make for a good story, though.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I was collecting things in my garage and found an old alternator. There is a bit of aluminum in the case, but the majority of the weight is in the copper windings and the heavy shaft. Would you be interested in that, or would it be too much work to disassemble for the small amount of aluminum you would get?

iomonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
No, I'll take it for sure. I can always melt the copper, and maybe use the shaft for something else.

Edit: That is to say, no, not too much work. I'll take what I can get!

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
OK. I sent you a PM. I will be in downtown Oshawa in about 30 minutes and can bring some with me. Give me a call.

iomonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
Wingnut has indeed just made the first donation, and it is bountiful. A bunch of busted motor mounts, a broken AC compressor, and a broken alternator!

Was good meeting you Wingnut, after reading so many of your threads. Thanks!

iomonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
Yeessss, here, in all its greasy glory - Wingnut's donation:

An excellent start!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
A Knob Hill Farm basket?!?!.....haven't seen one of those in years.

iomonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
It was buried in my parents' garage attic and subsequently liberated from the garbage pile years later.

If I hadn't left 150lbs of electrical wiring heaped on it over the winter, it would still be in perfect condition! :(

Anyways, makes a great scrap bin now!

iomonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
Wow, read that casting thread over the course of the weekend - how you guys did it in an hour is beyond me!! Pretty epic...I do believe I'll be printing that to PDF to re-read on the train.

Anyone interested in casting read that! You'll learn way more from there than any other source I've seen so far (except perhaps the Hobbyist's Guide to Casting at alloyavenue.com).

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I haven't read it all, I just looked at the pretty pictures and read some highlights. It's amazing the time he spent to document it all, not to mention all of his skills.

iomonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
Yeah, I would heartily recommend reading through all his posts. The progression from design to casting to milling to fitment really brings home that doing this kind of thing is not super-human (although he clearly is gifted in many areas), but can be done with proper planning and care.
He even goes so far as to fabricate a method for 'spin casting' parts (gives better density). So cool.
I really enjoyed how he tried to demonstrate how much of what he did was possible using common tools. For example, he milled some of the material using a mill bit in a router!!

Edit: Whoa, forgot the coolest part - he went to the Pagani factory, met with Horatio Pagani himself, got a tour with Horatio, and a signed design sketch! Having seen a few interviews where Horatio is explaining stuff about the car, I have no doubt this would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience - the man is truly passionate about making the perfect car.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
When there was a new process, I read what he was doing.

Did you catch his vacuum pump for the carbon fibre? And all of his measuring was done with a vernier caliper. Not digital or a dial, but one where you have to think.

iomonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
Haha, yeah, that was hilarious! I wonder where he got that wood screw....it was like 12" long...using the old silicone caulk tube was inspired.

Yeah, I'm not super-familiar with metal-shop stuff, but a few people in the thread commented on his use of Vernier calipers as well. I was going to look up why that was significant, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
On the calipers, most people have gone to digital readouts which is convenient when you need to switch between Metric and Imperial, but like most things electronic, it takes out the need to think.

iomonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
Ah, okay. Yeah, I recall using Vernier calipers in metal shop class way back in the day. I should probably pick a set up - I have a cheapie digital set already.

iomonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
Bump... Crucible arrived the other day, getting closer to the first melt...

Any donations appreciated!

tassolake

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI PD 5sp
Iomonkey, I'm prepared to donate, not material, but services. I keep a fully functionaly Blacksmith shop in the GTA (I was the blacksmith at Blackcreek Pioneer village many moons ago). So if you need coal fired forge to heat the crucible come on over, likewise if you want to heat and bend something after you made it, also come over.

iomonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Wagon
Wow, that's awesome! I just might take you up on that...I need to make some crucible lifting/pouring tongs. Will PM you when I'm ready to move on that. Thanks!!

If nothing else I might take a little time off work and come see your setup - before I was looking into casting I had looked at getting into hobby blacksmith work. After a lot of research and Youtube videos, I decided my neighbours would hate me for it, so had to put it off. One day...