Show what you tow!

QuickWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS TDI wagon, 5-speed
I'm about to install a Curt hitch on my '05 TDI wagon, planning to pull a small camping trailer, though not sure which one yet. Thinking of building my own from a small cargo trailer. I'm curious what other people are towing with their TDI's, so post up some picks of your TDI-trailer rig! :cool:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/

more pics in my sig link. 5x8x5 homebuilt trailer :)

OEM otis hitch. i should mention my max total combined weight (weighed at a truckstop) i've towed was 5500 lbs, so ~2500 total payload (including what i had in the car itself). towed it 1800 mi across country, didn't have any problems, even with the tall .658 gear. had rc3 and 17/22 turbo, at the time

Last edited:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
This is what I do the most towing with - very handy 4x8 tilt bed that takes a beating and keeps on going. Was 6400 lbs gross in this picture.
[/IMG]

I've also got this one which is 8x10 which feels really big for the first few miles until you get used to driving exactly down the center of your lane in a car that's only half as wide as the lane. This picture was only 5500 lbs gross.
[/IMG]

You need to be careful though when it's empty in strong cross winds because it turns into an unstable wing :)
[/IMG]

I pulled this trailer (empty) and it was very smooth/nice. Thanks again Gary for letting me borrow it!
[/IMG]

I want to buid a new trailer with tandem axles, some form of brakes on the trailer, rails all the way around for tying things down, taller sides and maybe a top for it. Another project I don't have time to do now - someday maybe....

QuickWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, some of you guys are pulling heavy stuff! Neat to sea a tdi pulling a t@b trailer. I've considered those but thought it might be too much. It actually looks just right behind that Golf!

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
This is my usual load. 5x8 trailer with my banshee on it. About ~700lbs total. Once I towed an empty 20' double axle car hauler across town when my car was running with the big turbo setup. Had plenty of power but I think the trailer weighed more than the car. Was a little on the sketchy side when turning.

Not a tdi, but at least it's diesel :). This is what I pulled with my bone stock 6.5TD 4 weeks ago on a trip to haspin acres in indiana. One samurai, one 81 J10 with an atv in the bed, and 2 atvs in my bed. She did it, but wasn't very happy.... Anything over 60mph and it would kick out of overdrive haha.

Last edited:

tp_taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GOLF GLS TDI
Thanks! It's an awesome rig. I am in love with a 29er now.

In regards to OP, I have a single moto trailer that could tow my motorcycle with. I have yet to wire in the harness, tho...

QuickWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
I started the post to see what TDI's are towing, but I don't mind the other stuff. Just for the record. :cool:

Last edited:

Mike96ZJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Before:

After:

And occasionally the motorcycle makes it back there:

Mike96ZJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
chimmike said:
driving a toyota to tow a jeep? WEAK! Should be towing a yota with the yota! lol.
If I could afford my dream rig, I would have a buggy with the same powertrain as the tow rig. :D

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Tow this with an 05 wagon. 1800lbs. Hard above 55; it'll maintain 65+, but only with a generous allowance of turbo & RPMs!:eek:

Oops. Got to look at posting pics again....

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Iluv2tow

The 3x6 utility trailer. Great for hauling brush, garbage, appliances, lawn tractors (with the sides off):

The tent trailer. Sleeps four. May become a 6x8 utility trailer one day:

The pop up, belongs to my father-in-law and we have taken it camping once a year for the past three years. Took it to the trucks scales fully loaded its single axle was carrying 1900lbs, the tongue weighed 300lbs on the bathroom scale:

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
NB_TDi said:
So when you read a book's title, you say you read the book?
you're the only one in here quibbling and NOBODY IS LISTENING :rolleyes:

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Wow- how many T@B towers are there out there? We just got back from a 10-day trip in New Brunswick (no, I didn't get the 30-lb salmon that went for my wet fly on the Miramichi.:mad: ) and we only saw one other T@B in about 1600 miles! Sure drew a crowd wherever we went with it; most people had never seen one before. "Its so CUTE!!" Yeah, OK.

I have a Reese "Hidden Hitch" that bolts, with reinforcement plates, to the sides & bottom of the spare tire well, as well as to one of the shipping tie-downs. I tossed out all the hardware it came with and replaced all with stainless steel bolts, nuts, washers & locks. Also greased exposed threads and sprayed with undercoat. Our northern New England winters can be tough on ANY exposed hardware. So far, so good.